Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

The front sight on my gun was one of those long (1 1/2" maybe) fiber optic rods, in kind of a metal frame, that snaps over the rib. They kept breaking. This year I pulled it off and went with a front and mid bead. Old school always works.

• Like 1

Came close again today. A nice bachelor group passed me at 50 yards after a brief back n forth on the calls. No interest in the decoy hen about 20 yards in front of me however. They kept motoring. I attempted to cut them off, had an idea where they were going. Got busted after I had gotten in front of them. Too impatient, got too close too soon.

I'm done. Second tag filled. I had one of those crazy turkey hunting mornings this morning and was lucky enough to kill the boss tom. Lucky, (I caught wind of this bird's location in an off hand conversation with a non-hunting friend of a friend.) But now I can't hunt. Turkey season is over. What a bummer...  unless I get a Pa. license. But I am still pissed at Pa. over its deer mis-management philosophy. But I might have to break down. :rolleyes:

post-245-0-55876900-1462994417_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-59942900-1462994442_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-29937500-1462994527_thumb.jpg

post-245-0-47578400-1462994738_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buckstopshere
  • Like 6

You guys are right. Hard to beat the fly hatch on the Genny right now...primed for the Sulphur duns...and I have tied into some of my best trout in this hatch, and right after when the Caddis are on the water.  A lot of "yoots" need mentoring...and I could maybe call in tom for a buddy...but there are morels out there...and I have to find them! Can't keep me out of the woods for long!

• Like 3

I headed out at about 730 today..Got set up by around 830. Lots of birds in the fields but no gobbling. Had a tom (6-7" beard) walk right by me following hens out into the one field at around 930' Took me by complete surprise. They just showed up , 20 or so yds. off to my right.  No time to even move>>

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

Came close again today. A nice bachelor group passed me at 50 yards after a brief back n forth on the calls. No interest in the decoy hen about 20 yards in front of me however. They kept motoring. I attempted to cut them off, had an idea where they were going. Got busted after I had gotten in front of them. Too impatient, got too close too soon.

Not real easy to take them on, on their terms huh?  Thats what i like the best about it. If you can take a Tom on the ground by just sneaking in on him you have done something many cant do. Add a few hens or jakes into a flock with him and you go tag him? You have earned it.

I get busted more than half the time but its worth it just for the thrill. Its not for everyone.

Crows were coming in. Hen literally jumped from field edge into woods and hid. Wish she would have talked some more. I couldn't call , she was quiet and now don't know exactly where she is. There she is.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

After never seeing a bald eagle out here I now saw 2. Other day on way home about 2 miles from where I hunt and now there's one perched on other side of field. Got the binocs on him.

Wren just landed on window of blind and scared us both

U out with your daughter ? She kill one yet ?

I am no expert, but even I can usually locate a bird or two and at least hear something. Taking a break. 7 days and nothing. Time to look at another area or something. Seasons half way gone so it's time to rethink plans A-Z and start over.

• Like 1

Finally broke my 2 year slump this morning at 9:15 on a Jake. Called in a Tom that came in quietly but couldn't get a shot. Then about half an hour later I called in two Jakes and blasted one of them. They came in quiet too, didn't hear a single gobble today. Season's been real quiet as far as gobbles this year. Heard one gobble when I had my little cousin out on the youth hunt and not a single gobble during the regular season so far.

post-2630-0-52539500-1463106127_thumb.jp

post-2630-0-20074900-1463106186_thumb.jp

• Like 5