See 5 or 6 bears every year when hunting

noodle one

I see then all the time during spring turkey season. This has been going on for the last 10 years or so. I have seem some big bears and some small ones.  I have been calling turkeys and have then come up the hill looking. Sometimes they get a little to close for comfort ( 15 to 20 yards) and I would standup and say something to then to get them to move on. I live in Broome Co. ( 7s ) and we have a lot of bears around. In the fall when out deer hunting ,I don't see a one. All I see are tracks, so I know they are there. I wish there was a spring season for them so I could get one. To me the only good bear is a dead one, because they do a number on the fawns, as much as coyotes or more so. If you want to hunt bears, please come to Broome Co. (7s ) and kill them all.

I'm still wondering what would happen if I shot one with my .243;  or my 7mm-08 with reduced recoil ammo.  Would they run the other way, or maul me to death ???  They can see orange rather well according to my research.

There is a bear guide in Canada who says you can hunt them with a .243.  I have to wonder....

you ever yell at one and had him stick around and not run off?

Three seasons ago opening day my brother couldn't get rid of Sow and two cubs. They hung around his stand for about an hour and I could hear him yelling at the bears. I walked over to him and actually had a cub 30 yards from me and the mother was behind it another 20 yards off. She did nothing, they were more interested in eating the corn! It was getting dark and they still wouldn't leave so I shot my gun up in the air and called in for an extraction from the hostile area. By the time the quad came to pick us up they had moved into the corn.

Early October i was hunting turkey in Delaware County. Small bear comes out of the cornfield and just keeps coming towards me. I get up and start yelling and he does nothing. I was in full camo, so maybe he thought i was a dancing tree lol. Eventually he got too close for comfort and i took a shot in the air to scare him away. And it worked like a charm. Heard a few weeks later when bow season opened someone tagged him,

you ever yell at one and had him stick around and not run off?

Had a sow and two cubs come up during turkey season two years ago. The sow gave the alarm when she winded me. The cubs went up the tree. She circled me at a distance of 40 yds. Woofin and clacking her jaws. And a couple mock charges stompin on the ground. Everytime I tried to back out she would circle. Believe me I had the barrel pointed at her face. With turkey loads, I think i would have had to let her get real close,to do more than piss her off. Eventually after 45 minutes she called them down,and they ran off. I was calm while they were there. After they left is when the adrenalin came down. The hunt was over!

• 5 months later...

I live in Broome also and have had more than my fair share of run ins and sightings of bears during bow and gun season. Always during bow or in the first week of gun or always in a group. Had a sow and three cubs walk by me last yr. I think if a lone one gets close this yr it might have to get shot.