(Dutchess County) New Turkey Hunter- Advice Needed

tonyc26

Going upstate (from nyc) for Spring Gobbler this weekend

I've never hunted for spring gobbler, nor in NY, we usually go to PA during deer season

Just got all my tags and permits, and were going to be heading up to Dutchess County on Friday

As of now we intended on going to the Taconic-Herford Multiple use area, also considering the Baxtertown Woods WMA and Taconic State park

Are these good spots to hunt? 

Does anyone know of any Public land out in / around Dutchess County with a healthy gobbler population ( not asking for your hotspot, just a vague location or park to go to that allows crossbow / bow hunting)

Also any advice? I have a mouth call that I've actually (I think) gotten pretty good with (been practicing).. Wondering things like

how far should we walk in from the road? 

how long do you sit before moving on to a new spot?

Do you walk around and call and then post up, or post then call.. I've heard of both not sure which is better!

It's not too late in the season right?.. I hear New York Gobblers move up until late june

Also what time is the best to go.. We intended on going at sundown. 

Sorry if i sound un-experienced, I am, just got into hunting last year.

Any Advice is Greatly appreciated.. Mostly need a good location to hunt, but any advice will be more then helpful!!

Thanks in advance

Sundown? You know you can only hunt till noon. Maybe read the regulations???

Didnt you or someone else ask a similar question weeks back?

Best to do your homework months before. Given how this season is going for most people, you probably wont get great responses. Hell, im about ready to start asking got tips and help.

Good luck if you do get out.

Welcome to HuntingNY! Sorry but I don't know too much about that part of the state. My best advice would be to just go and get out there! Wherever you can. Weather or not you get a bird will be secondary to the fact, that you were out hunting. And gaining some hands on, boots to the ground, hunting knowledge. And enjoying the great outdoors.Best of luck and most importantly, have fun!

Your right, anything beats NYC, I'm just dying to fill my first (and a longshot but second) turkey tags and don't want to be wasting any time in bad spots. One of the reasons I always went to PA was the fact that the game lands are pretty easy to research.. Ny not so easy but this week were going up to Dutchess because my friend owns a house up there and i hear turkeys move way more in NY then PA.

If no one will share spots, how about some general turkey hunting advice, and an answer to the question, state parks, forests, or the taconic multiple use area? 

Not many will give up a spot, much less a spot the last weekend if they are still hunting. Been a tough year for a lot of turkey hunters.

Scouting ahead of time is the best way to go, but you don't have that option, so you have to scout as you go.

Researching isn't that tough here in NY. Google Map the area's you want to hunt. I am guessing that you will be staying in a hotel or camping. Be nice about it and ask the locals. They might offer some information.

Figure out what kind of call works best for you, and practice with that as much as possible. Have a crow call or some form of shock/locater call.

Make sure you have at least run a couple rounds through your shotgun to pattern it and know where you shot is the most dense.

• Like 2

Depends on how much land you'll be hunting whether you sit and await a gobble on roost and try and close the distance or run and gun using locator call. If you're hunting a large parcel run and gun maybe the best choice especially if no scouting was able to be done. Hit owl call/owl hooter as you meander thru the woods and listen for gobble on roost or eventually after they hit the deck. Try not turkey calling as you walk as birds have been tight lipped this year and you may walk right into them. When you do use turkey call, call softer than you think and then cut that in half. Last few times out I've (we've) called hens in and haven't heard them until they've gotten to 30-35 yards. Tom will hear the softest of calls for a loooooong way . No wind providing. Turkey call every 15-20 minutes. Purrs , clucks and quiet 3 note yelps may be the best.  Be in the woods by 4:30  am the latest. And BE CAREFUL trying to sneak up on birds on public land . "Turkeys " you may hear are other hunters and "you" may have other hunters try and sneak up on you as well. Enjoy the woods. Nothing better than listening to the woods wake up in the spring.

Take all my info with a grain of salt as I'm on the schnide this year.

Keep us posted regardless if you kill a bird or not. "Live from the turkey woods 2016" is fun to post up on and see how others are doing that day.

• Like 3

One thing I can add is that in NY 'state forest' lands are generally ok to hunt, but State Parks each have their own individual rules/regs. Many do not allow hunting at all. So do your research/call them if you want to hunt one in particular. No clue about Taconic MUA or WMU you mentioned. Google Maps will show state forests if you turn on "terrain".

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I looked into it, not going through the headache of getting the DEP permits so ill probably stick to the forests. As of now looks like were gonna be heading to baxtertown. Were going to be staying in Poughkeepsie at a friends house, so I guess ill make one last plea for someone to share a good spot near there with me lol!? Someone mentioned salt point, but that's pretty vague.

Also, all the advice should be helpful, it really is greatly appreciated.

On another note, hows the fishing up there? Also got licensed for it this week. Looking to really use every bit of outdoors I can this weekend lol

• Like 1

Also, I'll share some good advice I've gotten. IDK how many of you's have heard of it, but if you have an iphone checkout the app pocketranger! doesn't say which spots are better then others, but alot of helpful stuff on there

No luck today, for the record if your going for gobbler id steer clear of baxtertown wma.. Didn't get a call back all morning (and I got pretty good at calling), and the brush is a little thick. Half the forest is covered in an inch or so of water .. Not the best for turkey though someone who lived across from where we parked said she sees them sometimes in the morning . Probably going to try out taconic multiple use tomorrow .. Everyone around here seems to swear by it. Gonna fish at the state park today though will keep you guys updated

• Like 3