Turkey......vulture

reeltime

I will just say that they do not take kindly to getting too close to their "nest" which just happens to be on the first floor of our barn. I WAS gonna work on bracing the second floor platform but momma was pretty insistent that I vacate her territory.

61530357ab5b85f352bd84469aada925.jpg2ec524b89219dd1658b7c0e6e3e9c4a1.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

My wife insists that turkey vultures attack smaller, live prey. I tell her that they mostly swoop in on dead stuff by locating the dead with their sense of smell. My wife tells me I'l nuts and leaves HER cats only outside in a cat tent. 

My wife insists that turkey vultures attack smaller, live prey. I tell her that they mostly swoop in on dead stuff by locating the dead with their sense of smell. My wife tells me I'l nuts and leaves HER cats only outside in a cat tent. 

she has a "cat tent" and she calls you nuts?

• Like 5

maybe HER cats smell like dead meat...

If her believing the vultures will kill her cats keeps the cats from roaming, the end result is good for everyone. The wild critters are safer. The cats are safer, even if the vultures aren't a threat.

• Like 1

There is an abandoned house on CR 1 between Addison and Campbell in which the turkey vultures nest annually.

I have never been in it ( private property, of course)  but I see them flying in and out of it every summer, through the upstairs windows and a big hole in the roof..  Some one of these years it will collapse or be torn down and the birds will lose their nursery.

Rob -

People have been feeding the dead to vultures for centuries - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Silence. Western sensibilities find it odd, but why? Why shouldn't the energy and resources of our bodies be returned to the soil. The only reason I can think of is - like other long-lived species, e.g. snapping turtles - we accumulate toxic substances from our modern lifestyle.

When you consider the amount of land and energy used to dispose of bodies in a very crowded world, feeding them to scavengers makes sense to me. In India - where Zoroastrians used vultures for this purpose - the loss of 99% of the subcontinent's vultures, due to a veterinary drug that is highly poisonous to vultures, really changed the situation.

I'm having my ashes fertilize the garden...or plots, trees, what ever...card board box(fitting I think), ...All he has to do is make sure the remains he gets back are just me......probably won't be. I want to donate to science,What a waste of money dying has become...worse than weddings...