Perfect shotgun for starting kids

Bowguy 1

I have no kids, but, I remember after taking my HEC the guy that tough me the basics asked me "So, you looking at a .22lr or a shotgun for your first gun?'. I said 20 gauge for more versatility.

I stand by the 20 gauge as the best starter shotgun for anyone, not just kids. Recoil isn't that bad, very versatile, and you can get ammo just about anywhere.

Edited by ....rob

One guys opinion.....

I mean heck, who doesn't have a 28ga or two stashed in the safe?  Of course the ammo for a 28ga is available at any hardware store, gun shop or even Walmart.

Grab a 20ga and some light loads and the kids will be just fine.........

• Like 1

20 ga is very good n I'm by no means knocking it. Great gauge for most. It's too big imo for real small kids. The 410 is a good gun to get first shots off w, a 22 is too but I'm referring to shotguns. 

Wingshooting is better imo w the 28. Shells are over priced but so is college and weddings in most cases. The 28 by my isn't hard to find but honestly I reload.

you guys can start kids anyway you like, you're the parents but the 28 is the perfect gun, again imo, do what you like it's only food for thought guys 

Edited by Bowguy 1

37 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I was a .410 kid...killed more rabbits, quail and whatever else I hunted, I still have it....one of the most cherished guns in my cabinet.IMG_0503.jpg

This gun I'm sure has many prized memories, but older 410s are even worse. Felt recoil is determined by many things, one of em drop of comb. Older guns of most styles drop too much which leads to all kinds of negative things. Id not get rid of it though. Cool gun, great shape it seems too

Edited by Bowguy 1

20 ga is very good n I'm by no means knocking it. Great gauge for most. It's too big imo for real small kids. The 410 is a good gun to get first shots off w, a 22 is too but I'm referring to shotguns. 

Wingshooting is better imo w the 28. Shells are over priced but so is college and weddings in most cases. The 28 by my isn't hard to find but honestly I reload.

you guys can start kids anyway you like, you're the parents but the 28 is the perfect gun, again imo, do what you like it's only food for thought guys 

My dad started me on a bb gun then 22 then 12 gauge by 10 figured I have then felt the worst lol...

My kid (6) was insistent in shooting skeet with me at a cook out this summer I shoot a 12g only don't own any other so I let him with me holding him and the forearm of it he was stoked must have shot it 5 to 10 times....just like tattoos crashing dirtbikes or climbing mts if you want it bad enough the pain isn't there...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My daughter started with a scatter gun at 5 a mossberg bantam pump 20ga I hand loaded for it at first with some real light loads. So handled it fine. Now she has a 410 but doesn't really like it. In my opinion the most important thing for a kid to do is have fun and shoot ALOT! Unless you're reloading the 28 is not even an option for that. The 28ga in my opinion is no different than a 16ga or a 280 not a bad but does nothing another more popular round does just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BB guns (Crossman 760) then a Savage .22 for me.  The first shotgun I used was either a Browning 12ga A5 or a Ithaca 16ga Model 37, neither was a problem for me or my siblings.  WE didn't start with the shotguns until we were maybe 11 or 12 years old.........IIRC.  Definitely not after that age, maybe a little earlier.

18 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

My dad started me on a bb gun then 22 then 12 gauge by 10 figured I have then felt the worst lol...

My kid (6) was insistent in shooting skeet with me at a cook out this summer I shoot a 12g only don't own any other so I let him with me holding him and the forearm of it he was stoked must have shot it 5 to 10 times....just like tattoos crashing dirtbikes or climbing mts if you want it bad enough the pain isn't there...

Yes I agree, but there are kids more sensitive, especially girls that don't like the noise or kick of bigger guns. They need to be grown into shooting. Women too, we shouldn't punish them. Not if you want them to be into it anyway. 

How many times have you heard of kids that decided they just don't like shooting? That's nuts, they shoot all day on video games, point like John Wayne at their friends. When you ask them to go n they say no it's oftem because they were put in the fire so to speak. 

Not the best way, by 14 my older daughter was shooting my 300 mag n loved it. She started out w a 22, 223, bull barreled 22-250 to acclimate to noise, 28 ga, 243, 20 ga, 270, 300 n now at 16 she hunts turks w a 3" 12 all at 5'3". 

I really wanted my kids to hunt w me n took no chances in screwing that up. 

The littler one is now 13 n is a little slower coming along but she's up to a 243 n the 20ga.

They both love handguns too, it's all in the starting em off right, least w some kids

Edited by Bowguy 1

31 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Isn't that only nyc?

Actually, Thatcher Park in my area does not allow rifles. The county is rifle friendly, but you have to be careful, certain parks and public hunting areas have specific rules for specific areas.

• Like 1

I started on a stevens 220s in 20 gauge

perfect gun to learn on and easy transition to a SxS

my older brothers all started on the SxSs they were going to get eventually anyway, parker vh 20s,  and Pop just made them only load one barrel until they became very proficient.

I was thrilled to start on the stevens 220, those parkers were a damn heavy club when you were 6 or 7 years old.

BB guns (Crossman 760) then a Savage .22 for me.  The first shotgun I used was either a Browning 12ga A5 or a Ithaca 16ga Model 37, neither was a problem for me or my siblings.  WE didn't start with the shotguns until we were maybe 11 or 12 years old.........IIRC.  Definitely not after that age, maybe a little earlier.

My dad worked at Crossman for 10 plus year until the owner died in that crash then they laid him off and he never went back...I have this really cool 760? With a gold barrel and some wood stocks they were going to throw away and almost every bb gun they made then. My dad has the first paintball gun (spx?) That came off the line...cool place been there many times almost got a job there before I moved

Actually, Thatcher Park in my area does not allow rifles. The county is rifle friendly, but you have to be careful, certain parks and public hunting areas have specific rules for specific areas.

The barrels are interchangeable so if can use rifle can put 20g on...I just mean in terms of getting all things in 1...22 for plinking and getting used to shooting 243 for scope work and longer ranges then 20...

Both my daughters love the .410 even after moving up to my .20 ga, It provided them with a sense of control and ease with handling it. My oldest daughter will usually shoots a round or two of skeet with the .410 and does well. I think the .410 is a tough gun to hit anything with sometimes but it builds handling confidence.

• Like 2

Well I started on a 12ga. Was 12years old almost knocked me over, dad wanted to get me a 16 or 20, but I insisted in was gonna shoot a 12 ga cause he did. 

30 plus years later I did buy a couple of 20 ga for my nephews to use. But they are only 9 and 10.

we didn't have much of a choice when we were kids, you started with whatever was in the gun cabinet that fit you.......the .410 was what fit a young kid, so that was what I used, and to be honest I don't remember doing any worse then my Dad or older brother who were shooting either a 16, 20 or 12 gauge......in fact I liked it so much I stuck with until I totally outgrew it size wise.

my kids both shot that .410 just for fun and to get the feel of shooting a shotgun.....when it came time to hunt, I bought a youth stock for my 20 gauge 870 and that's what they used......so if I actually had to BUY a gun for a kid to use, it would be a 20 gauge, light skeet loads is a perfect way to introduce them to a low recoil shotgun....when it came time to turkey hunt I just snuck in the 3" hevi shot magnum and they never knew.

• Like 1