Lobster claw is on my hit list

Current Dicks ad

as 96495cc09025f229878d26b263d97d16.jpg5a7695950700fe8619fbcb5b71b05347.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think NJ can bait. I think PA can bait (preseason only). I know CT can bait (only 2 units of the state). Maybe one day NY will allow it also? If so, I would buy a huge Texas style feeder. Way less headache than food plots or fruit trees.

Down here in 3N with no Farming fields, I would bet a big feeder would work wonders.

I don't know why everyone is so spicy about this.  Lets face it, ALOT of other states allow baiting as an aid for hunting. .  So its ridiculous that we cant here in NY anyways.   Secondly, I did Edit my post and agree to put my foot in my mouth, but on a third note, after doing some reason because this now had my curiosity peaked,  the law says it is strictly illegal to feed and bait DEER AND MOOSE.  SO the loophole in the law is that, the bait is not out for deer or moose, they just happen to come in to the food. If the bait was there, while you were hunting, its obvious what you are doing, but you cannot be ticketed for putting bait out simply "to get stunning wildlife photos."  They cant ticket you for baiting squirls, coons, rabbits , etc. that's how im interpreting what the ECO told me

I don't know why everyone is so spicy about this.  Lets face it, ALOT of other states allow baiting as an aid for hunting. .  So its ridiculous that we cant here in NY anyways.   Secondly, I did Edit my post and agree to put my foot in my mouth, but on a third note, after doing some reason because this now had my curiosity peaked,  the law says it is strictly illegal to feed and bait DEER AND MOOSE.  SO the loophole in the law is that, the bait is not out for deer or moose, they just happen to come in to the food. If the bait was there, while you were hunting, its obvious what you are doing, but you cannot be ticketed for putting bait out simply "to get stunning wildlife photos."  They cant ticket you for baiting squirls, coons, rabbits , etc. that's how im interpreting what the ECO told me

This is nuts. Are you trolling us?

From the Q and A sections on the NYSDEC page that explains the law;

Can other wildlife, like songbirds, still be fed?

Yes, if deer and moose are not attracted to the food, or it is inaccessible to them.

Call it what you will, but the ENCON in my area would write you a ticket.

It can't be accessible.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

This is nuts. Are you trolling us?

It seems like it doesn't it? But then again he is from Montgomery County.

I would love it if law breakers were banned on here, it sets a bad example for other folks starting out and those who don't know the rules. Break a law accidently and apologize, while still wrong, is way different from breaking the law and bragging about it and promising to continue to do so.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 2

I would love it if law breakers were banned on here, it sets a bad example for other folks starting out and those who don't know the rules. Break a law accidently and apologize, while still wrong, is way different from breaking the law and bragging about it and promising to continue to do so.

Agree

Im not trolling, I honestly thought it was ok!! makes no sense to me why its not. Any ways I guess this officer is super lenient, and for that purpose . . I wont be sharing anymore info, as I don't want him to get in trouble , because then he will drop the book on me. Kinda mad now that I was wrong, I don't see how its a problem to lay down something for the deer so you can get them on camera to see what is around, but again I admit will be sticking my foot in my mouth on this topic going forward

33 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

Im not trolling, I honestly thought it was ok!! makes no sense to me why its not. Any ways I guess this officer is super lenient, and for that purpose . . I wont be sharing anymore info, as I don't want him to get in trouble , because then he will drop the book on me. Kinda mad now that I was wrong, I don't see how its a problem to lay down something for the deer so you can get them on camera to see what is around, but again I admit will be sticking my foot in my mouth on this topic going forward

Instead of taking the low road and illegally baiting the deer. Why not learn a bit about deer themselves and perhaps work at woodsmanship skills. So you can get closer to deer and get better pictures. It will really make a difference in your overall experience. Just a thought...........

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Agreed!

I think NJ can bait. I think PA can bait (preseason only). I know CT can bait (only 2 units of the state). Maybe one day NY will allow it also? If so, I would buy a huge Texas style feeder. Way less headache than food plots or fruit trees.

Down here in 3N with no Farming fields, I would bet a big feeder would work wonders.

I'm just pointing out that retailers can and do sell things that can't be legally used in NY. And it's really not hard to find a good natural spot for a camera

4 minutes ago, laker said:

How is this any different then a food plot being used to attract deer then killing them? Is that hunting? Especially these little plots people put in under there stands.

Because some baits contribute to the spread of disease such as chronic wasting, whereas food plots won't 

3 hours ago, DaSwampBuk said:

Because some baits contribute to the spread of disease such as chronic wasting, whereas food plots won't 

Where did you ever read this crap from?  Tell me  deer does not eat part of an apple from a tree and leave the rest? Tell me a plot does not attract deer to eat the clover and alfalfa that the prions have already attached themselves to?  

• Like 1

Is it hunting? Let's see... is it hunting to put a stand near a farmer's field,a wild apple,oak,,beech,hickory,persimmon,cherry,Mulberry tree or bramble patch.Is it hunting to set up near any clover,golden rod,grassy field,cattails,fern,? How about creek,stream,pond?

Never mind I get it!  It's only real hunting if you set up a stand on a telephone pole in the corner of a paved parking lot and call a deer in at high noon during lunch hour near a Burger king...:rolleyes: