Pay more for bow permit

the blur

I'm not a bow hunter, but thought about it once or twice.     I just found out you need to pay an extra $10 to bow hunt..   I know you need to take the class, but I didn't know it was an extra fee on your license..................

and also Muzzle.   You need to pay $10 to extent your season 1 week.    I thought all this was included with your regular season hunting.....

Nope separate tags. I think its worth it. You get to extend your season, and get additional tags and add more meat to the freezer. I actually prefer hunting with the bow and muzzle loader, but still hunt with the rifle to switch it up a little.

• Like 2

Not really much different then buying a DMP, the cost is the same. $10 to another legal deer to your possibilities.

You get more then a week with the ML, isn't it two with early and late seasons?

Bow you get just shy of two months extra time in the woods.

Worth the money in my book. 

2 hours ago, the blur said:

I'm not a bow hunter, but thought about it once or twice.     I just found out you need to pay an extra $10 to bow hunt..   I know you need to take the class, but I didn't know it was an extra fee on your license..................

and also Muzzle.   You need to pay $10 to extent your season 1 week.    I thought all this was included with your regular season hunting.....

Bow $15 and ML $15 ...... Gee they really put a hurtin' on the wallet ! :rolleyes:

Luckily , at my age , they are free . That leaves me money to spend on Metimucil ! :taunt:

• Like 6

They did drop the prices last season if I remember right. Three years ago when I first got back into hunting the small game license was still separate and I didn't bother with it only having a bow. I think the price you mentioned that year for my bow tag was right $19.

We all just love paying extra fees don't we? Why is there not just one license that allows you to hunt? Seriously, I don't mind fees if they can show additional costs because of the additional activity. But what is the additional cost for muzzleloading or bowhunting or whatever. I see it only as more bookwork and expenses involves in all the separate tracking. What ever happened to making government agencies justify fees. Nobody cares to make these people financially responsible and accountable?

Maybe they have numbers and whatnot that show that it is cheaper to break all these variations into separate entities and individual tracking and paperwork. But seriously, I would like to see it before ridiculing those that wonder about separate fees - no matter what the size. Just because it has always been done that way doesn't mean it is the "smart" way.

44 minutes ago, Jaeger said:

Craps guys, for $30 your complaining?  You spend more than that on gas getting to your sites! and the MacDonalds and coffee every morning as well!

I stop at McDonalds every morning in Cuba when we go hunting and it ain't to eat the food !

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

We all just love paying extra fees don't we? Why is there not just one license that allows you to hunt? Seriously, I don't mind fees if they can show additional costs because of the additional activity. But what is the additional cost for muzzleloading or bowhunting or whatever. I see it only as more bookwork and expenses involves in all the separate tracking. What ever happened to making government agencies justify fees. Nobody cares to make these people financially responsible and accountable?

Maybe they have numbers and whatnot that show that it is cheaper to break all these variations into separate entities and individual tracking and paperwork. But seriously, I would like to see it before ridiculing those that wonder about separate fees - no matter what the size. Just because it has always been done that way doesn't mean it is the "smart" way.

If the state had anybody with half a brain working ,they could look at numbers from the different stamps sold and figure who is hunting what and with what Instruments.  Besides that ,why should a guy that only hunts gun have to pay more to incluse a bow stamp that he does this use.

For the price of one day skiing or a dinner and a movie with the wife, we get to hunt for months and fish all year! Yeah, I'd say the tags are money well spent! And if all the money was spent on conservation projects or to help new hunters get started, I'd have no problem spending more.

• Like 3

This isn't exactly true. You pay an extra fee to hunt during the early bow season, but you can always hunt with a bow during the regular season for free.

Also, in some areas, regular season is actually, also early season. So you'll be able to hunt Oct first with the bow, at no extra charge.

28 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

This isn't exactly true. You pay an extra fee to hunt during the early bow season, but you can always hunt with a bow during the regular season for free.

Also, in some areas, regular season is actually, also early season. So you'll be able to hunt Oct first with the bow, at no extra charge.

True, you pay to hunt early and late seasons. But, you cannot use the either sex tag for bow or ML in the regular seasons. So, you really pay to have the extra tag as well. 

9 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

If the state had anybody with half a brain working ,they could look at numbers from the different stamps sold and figure who is hunting what and with what Instruments.  Besides that ,why should a guy that only hunts gun have to pay more to incluse a bow stamp that he does this use.

You are assuming that it would actually be more. It could be that the simplification would actually be less for all.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that hunting licenses in parts of Europe were around $600 a year, and then you had to pay landowners for access to their property, and a fee just to own a firearm on top of that. Complaining about a $15 or $20 dollar fee, no matter where the money goes, seems kind of silly.

Vote wisely.