New Bow Just Got Here

DirtTime

22 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Flying Arrow in East Greenbush.

I won't be going back after this. They gave me a hard time because I didn't buy the bow there. They told me when they tune a bow, they make sure everything is right, and paper tune it as well. Now, when I took the Alpine in a few weeks ago, it cost $32 to have the weight  and length adjusted, and the peep installed....Hmmm

I went to them a couple times when they had the shop in New Scotland. Had them change string and cable on my old Mathews. Bought a new HHA sight and did a paper tune. They were giving me the hard sell on a new bow and were being kinda rude when I  said just fix my old bow. After what they charged me and their attitude I never went back. Talked to some other guy's who had similar experiences. No surprise when the place closed and went back to E. Greenbush!

Why didn't you just do that stuff yourself and save the $100? 

Draw legnth is super easy to change. 

Weight, again super easy. 

Peep and a D loop. Google it, ten minute job. 

Tuning? Do it at the range. 

Serioulsy, if your money is tight, don't waste it on simple things you can do at home. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grampy said:

I went to them a couple times when they had the shop in New Scotland. Had them change string and cable on my old Mathews. Bought a new HHA sight and did a paper tune. They were giving me the hard sell on a new bow and were being kinda rude when I  said just fix my old bow. After what they charged me and their attitude I never went back. Talked to some other guy's who had similar experiences. No surprise when the place closed and went back to E. Greenbush!

Like I said, I won't be going back after this. I will just make the trek to Havoc.

21 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Why didn't you just do that stuff yourself and save the $100? 

Draw legnth is super easy to change. 

Weight, again super easy. 

Peep and a D loop. Google it, ten minute job. 

Tuning? Do it at the range. 

Serioulsy, if your money is tight, don't waste it on simple things you can do at home. 

I am going to start doing it on my own for sure. I was looking at the price for a press and some tools to make my own arrows. Cost is far more efficient.

Arrows aren't much cheaper if at all, it is fun to do but cost wise it's a draw. I use the shrink on fletch's for repairs or if I want to make fancy pink arrows for my wife. 

Bow presses are cool but you can get by with a string separater for most things. Hell I have used a carpenters pencil to instal a peep before. 

http://www.bohning.com/string-separator/

D loop material can be found at Dicks or bought online for cheap. 

I tune and do what I can because I don't trust most places. I'm sure flaming arrow (ha) will do a half assed job by the sounds of how they treated you. 

Just buy arrows online from someone who will cut and square for free even found some who will spine index too...carbon express pile drivers cut 100 a dz thought that was pretty decent....there's some on ebay that will cut and dz is only 49 bucks...victory something archery talk has good reviews on them

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just talked to the g/f. I knew I would end up in the doghouse over a bow. 

If I had more experience in setting the bow up as for weight and length I would have done it myself. I didn't want to bust a brand new bow.

I know how to align the sights, d-loop ( or nocking point ), and rest, get everything level vertical and horizontal, get the right spine and arrow weight for what I am shooting, just never worked on the major mechanics of a bow before. Damn sure will be learning now.

• Like 1

Just talked to the g/f. I knew I would end up in the doghouse over a bow. 

If I had more experience in setting the bow up as for weight and length I would have done it myself. I didn't want to bust a brand new bow.

I know how to align the sights, d-loop ( or nocking point ), and rest, get everything level vertical and horizontal, get the right spine and arrow weight for what I am shooting, just never worked on the major mechanics of a bow before. Damn sure will be learning now.

As this is the first year I have done it...it's fun and challenging to get perfect but not hard to actually do...just time. Hope they get it right for that money...if you can while at the shop as to shoot it a few times...if you can start it 2 yards and walk back to 10 or 20 using the same pin same point of aim and your arrows should stack up nicely in a vertical line...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That gives me an idea. New couch gets delivered tomorrow and I'm due for a Cabela's run. I'll let you know in a few days how comfy it is to sleep on

That's how I got the bow. I get a new bow, she gets a new bad around Jan. when the bow is paid off. LOL

That sucks you didn't have a decent time with flying arrow. I'm pretty picky about where I spend my money and who touches my bow. Now with that said...I only let Jim (the owner of flying arrow) do anything to my bows.

I too bought my bow online last year and brought it to flying arrow to get setup and tuned for me. Jim explained it was a 30 something dollar fee to set it up since I didn't buy the bow from him. At first I was a little erked but then as I thought about it I do understand he's running a business and that's a way to get guys to buy bows straight from him. But last year I was a little tight on extra cash since we were in the middle of buying our house and with pressure from the wife I ordered online to save a few bucks.

I have heard the bad stories and the good stories about flying arrow and I have seen both good and bad first hand. Jim can be a little pushy on new bows and certain products, but remember he's a business man. If you can remember that when you walk in, you'll be less likely to feel pressured when deciding on new stuff.

And without a doubt Jim knows his stuff when it comes to working on bows. Regardless of any personality traits he may or may not have, he does a good job on setting the bow up exactly how it needs to be. Even with a lot of people in the shop waiting, he spends a lot of time tinkering with my bow getting it just right.

But I will say I don't trust his employees nearly as much. I was just there this past Friday to get a new qad drop away put on as my other drop away wasn't working right and Jim was busy with quite a few people and I ended up with his employee putting my rest on. All was good until I got home to shoot and I'm hitting all over the place. Getting fletching contact due to rest not being timed right and nock point was too high. I took it in this afternoon and Jim was pretty disappointed that his employee had it setup so poorly and he quickly dropped everything to spend almost a hour tinkering with my rest, nock point and d loop and even the timing of my bow cams to get it perfect. After the first 3 shots he adjusted my sight to the left a hair and it was bulls eyes from there out.

So I guess I'm on a positive note with flying arrow. But I'm no fan boy...bad experiences in the future could change my tune, but we shall cross that bridge when we get to it. As far as I can tell...your paying the going archery pro shop going rates for a guy who does a real good job. Pretty simple enough for me. When your like me and working upwards of 80 hours some weeks, I don't have time to cut my own arrows or do the little things I know I can do. So all I look for is someone to do the job right and for a decent rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frustrations with shops is what prompted me to start doing it all on my own.  I am happy I did.  $100 would be fair if the shop is really going to spend two hours tuning the bow.  Peep and loop take 5 minutes or 10 if you are slow like me.  Most won't really tune and many archers won't know the difference between a really good tune and simply installing a rest and setting centershot to factory recommendations.  I hope this shop does you right for that price.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Frustrations with shops is what prompted me to start doing it all on my own.  I am happy I did.  $100 would be fair if the shop is really going to spend two hours tuning the bow.  Peep and loop take 5 minutes or 10 if you are slow like me.  Most won't really tune and many archers won't know the difference between a really good tune and simply installing a rest and setting centershot to factory recommendations.  I hope this shop does you right for that price.

So true, some shops call installing rest's ect tuning when that is far from it.

I once had a new string put on mid season and the guy "did me a favor" and adjusted my rest. Needless to say I wasn't pleased and it ending up costing me hunting time. It was way off and not at all what I had asked for, I had taken measurements of where the loop and peep needed to be and he ignored that and did his own thing. I hate the guy!  lol