Easy to understand bowhunting regulations

Brooklynbow

Brand new to hunting and the one thing I can not find is easy to under stand regulations as far as when, what sex and where I can hunt. My two WMUs are 1c and 3m. Can I only hunt in those two areas or can I hunt in different WMUs depending on the time and antlered vs non antlered deer I would harvest. I received permission to hunt private land in 3F but after I applied for my WMU. I have the Bow/muzz either sex tag and reg season...are there dates that I can use one tag and not the other. A few tags I saw pictures of had the WMU listed on the tag but mine does not. Is that normal? No one that I know hunts so I apologize for the dumb questions.

Edited by Brooklynbow
Typo

Can someone clarify my BG license for me?

I have the large tag at one end my big yellow strip with my DEC number. Is this my back tag and must be worn at all times but for certain areas?

The first game tag I come to is a bear tag. Seems straightforward.

The second game tag is regular season deer. And on it are boxes for M or F. Does this give me the right to kill either a buck OR a doe anywhere in NYS? Or a buck AND a doe?

Then I come to what is my DMP where I wasn't selected, but gained 1 pref point. Hooray for me.

The next is marked NY Sporting License and I believe is my actual license which must be carried with me at all times as well as the back tag and the game tags. Correct?

Not sure what the next is for. Seems to be a receipt with my game tag numbers on it.

Finally, I come to a tag that looks like I use to register DMP tags that someone else has given me.

Is that all correct? I need clarification on exactly how many deer I can kill with this basic tag.

And secondly, on the back of each are tags that look like I need to punch date and sign. Makes sense, but why are they printed on the back of all the tags giving me 8 in total. DEC just bulk printing because it's easier?

Thanks. 

44 minutes ago, left field said:

Can someone clarify my BG license for me?

I have the large tag at one end my big yellow strip with my DEC number. Is this my back tag and must be worn at all times but for certain areas?   Yes Backtags must be worn, but only in the southern zone. Why? Because its NY.

The first game tag I come to is a bear tag. Seems straightforward.

The second game tag is regular season deer. And on it are boxes for M or F. Does this give me the right to kill either a buck OR a doe anywhere in NYS? Or a buck AND a doe?  During the Redular season you can only take a buck with this tag however if you hunt the late Muzzle loader season it becomes an either sex tag.

Then I come to what is my DMP where I wasn't selected, but gained 1 pref point. Hooray for me.

The next is marked NY Sporting License and I believe is my actual license which must be carried with me at all times as well as the back tag and the game tags. Correct? Yes

Not sure what the next is for. Seems to be a receipt with my game tag numbers on it.

Finally, I come to a tag that looks like I use to register DMP tags that someone else has given me.

Is that all correct? I need clarification on exactly how many deer I can kill with this basic tag. One buck, if you bow hunted you would get One either sex, One Doe. If you got your Doe permits you could add two more tot he tally. Doe permits can be used in bow season. I know you don't bow hunt but I figured I  would give you the info.

And secondly, on the back of each are tags that look like I need to punch date and sign. Makes sense, but why are they printed on the back of all the tags giving me 8 in total. DEC just bulk printing because it's easier? Because it's NY.

Thanks. 

I think I got em all.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2016 at 11:48 AM, Doewhacker said:

"....During the Regular season you can only take a buck with this tag however if you hunt the late Muzzle loader season it becomes an either sex tag...."

You mean a second either sex tag? Where does it say that? I can't find it in the regs. So if you also have BOW/MZ antler less tag, dos it mean a third doe during late MZ season?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

The reg above states that you can use both tags (either sex and antler less) in both seasons (early and late) but it doesn't say for what implement (BOW or MZ). The tags (either sex and antler less) look identical and give you an option for BOW or MZ, this is an official NYS DEC document but 3 calls placed to DEC gave me 3 different answers (Yes, NO and Maybe let me check). This is indeed a tad confusing, I'm just trying to stay out of trouble. Did anyone got a ticket for shooting 2 does with MZ in the late season?

OK, I found partial answer in the FAQ section

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

But still it does not clearly state what implement (BOW or MZ or doesn't matter). F that then. I could get up to 3 does in late MZ season and if I get a ticket I would appeal the fine.

"....Q: May I use my Regular Season deer tag during the special seasons?
A: Your Regular Season deer tag cannot be used in the Early Bowhunting or Early Muzzleloading seasons. It can only be used in the Regular Deer Seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones to take a buck. Except, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex in Westchester & Suffolk counties, in areas restricted to bowhunting only (WMUs 4J and 8C), and during the late seasons with the appropriate bow or muzzleloading privileges. During the late seasons, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex...."

On 12/10/2016 at 2:18 PM, bkln said:

OK, I found partial answer in the FAQ section

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

But still it does not clearly state what implement (BOW or MZ or doesn't matter). F that then. I could get up to 3 does in late MZ season and if I get a ticket I would appeal the fine.

"....Q: May I use my Regular Season deer tag during the special seasons?
A: Your Regular Season deer tag cannot be used in the Early Bowhunting or Early Muzzleloading seasons. It can only be used in the Regular Deer Seasons in the Northern and Southern Zones to take a buck. Except, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex in Westchester & Suffolk counties, in areas restricted to bowhunting only (WMUs 4J and 8C), and during the late seasons with the appropriate bow or muzzleloading privileges. During the late seasons, the Regular Season deer tag is valid for deer of either sex...."

it depends on what "privilege" you purchased. In the late season you can use your regular season tag to take a deer of either sex with the privilege you bought.  if you bought a bow license you can use bow. if you bought a ML license you can use ML or crossbow. (I am talking state wide regulations. the crap down towards the city is all bets off for me...lol)