2 Women Attacked By Coyote(s) in Wayne County

Cabin Fever

I used to train protection dogs (including a number of Donovan Pinchers) and have taken bites from nearly every type of working dog. I've also been knocked on my ass more times than I care to remember, and lost a tooth and took 12 stitches to the face from a particularly nasty Malinois in Mexico.

Most people have an innate fear of being bitten by a dog. A coyote is probably no different in that respect, but if you keep your head you can easily overwhelm a coyote attacking you. 

• Like 1

Would you guys like someone to hold your hand too? Do you carry a gun every time you are in the woods ? Even if not hunting? I have never heard so many adults talk about being afraid of what goes bump in the night. I thought the point of bow hunting was no guns. Now I'm hearing you should be able to carry a gun. What about those who do not have a ccp should they be aloud to sling there shotgun.                                                               I go in the woods I carry my knife for it so not hunting season. Might need it for trimming at trail cams. Hunting season I have gun and knife. I have had in counters with coyote  and bear with and without a gun. Close incounters. Once a coyote  jumped me from a bush 3 feet away only had time to stick but of gun in it's  face. He bit the stock sounded like he bit it in half.Gun still has teeth marks in it. I dropped gun and stabbed him in ribs with knife. He ran found dead in about 100 yeards. Another time checking cams I ended up between sow and cub . Opening cam heard cub cry turned and there was momma 15 yeards the other side of me. I stood grabbed knife and talked to her the whole time she walked around me to cub then they both walkedoff.she was talking backed to me the hole time. Even after out of sight could still hear her. Another time I walked up on a bear feeding on a lost bow shot deer. I yelled while bear was making a point that it was not cool with me. I backed off and left. Heck I have tried to walk up on bear close enough to get good pic with cell phone. Never worked but had to try. My favorite saying is if it bleeds I can kill it so why fear it.  If you are afraid of things in the woods then maybe stay out of the woods.

10 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Would you guys like someone to hold your hand too? Do you carry a gun every time you are in the woods ? Even if not hunting? I have never heard so many adults talk about being afraid of what goes bump in the night. I thought the point of bow hunting was no guns. Now I'm hearing you should be able to carry a gun. What about those who do not have a ccp should they be aloud to sling there shotgun.                                                               I go in the woods I carry my knife for it so not hunting season. Might need it for trimming at trail cams. Hunting season I have gun and knife. I have had in counters with coyote  and bear with and without a gun. Close incounters. Once a coyote  jumped me from a bush 3 feet away only had time to stick but of gun in it's  face. He bit the stock sounded like he bit it in half.Gun still has teeth marks in it. I dropped gun and stabbed him in ribs with knife. He ran found dead in about 100 yeards. Another time checking cams I ended up between sow and cub . Opening cam heard cub cry turned and there was momma 15 yeards the other side of me. I stood grabbed knife and talked to her the whole time she walked around me to cub then they both walkedoff.she was talking backed to me the hole time. Even after out of sight could still hear her. Another time I walked up on a bear feeding on a lost bow shot deer. I yelled while bear was making a point that it was not cool with me. I backed off and left. Heck I have tried to walk up on bear close enough to get good pic with cell phone. Never worked but had to try. My favorite saying is if it bleeds I can kill it so why fear it.  If you are afraid of things in the woods then maybe stay out of the woods.

I reread the whole thread to find where it said people were scared of the woods. Just like I thought, nobody said that...As a matter a fact people were admitting that the chances of something happening were extremely small although apparently not for you. And yes, I think I should be able to carry a small caliber pistol while I bow hunt. I carry everywhere else so why not? I freely admit I am not Rambo.....although apparently you are so its cool to have you on the forum...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

If you are afraid of things in the woods then maybe stay out of the woods.

It is not about being afraid it is about being prepared for who knows what. Most wild animals avoid humans and run when they encounter them. If you want to combat the rare aggressive animal that attacks with a knife like Tarzan good for you. Me, I would be more worried about an animal with rabies and I do not want to even get nipped. You can call me chicken shit all you want but when I am in the woods I am packing.

Al

Edited by airedale

7 minutes ago, airedale said:

It is not about being afraid it is about being prepared for who knows what. Most wild animals avoid humans and run when they encounter them. If you want to combat the rare aggressive animal that attacks with a knife like Tarzan good for you. Me, I would be more worried about an animal with rabies and I do not want to even get nipped. You can call me chicken shit all you want but when I am in the woods I am packing.

Al

^^^

This

And there's always the chance of 2 legged threats as well: it's fall before the first frost and I'm sure marijuana plants getting harvested, meth labs in the middle of nowhere  If it's tucked away, not used to harvest game,  no harm, no foul IMO. I carry all the time and certainly not locking it in my car roadside. I don't bow hunt so this is just my .02 on the matter.

• Like 1

Every single one of you should be a little "afraid" when entering the woods. It is what keeps your senses on high alert and it is your best defense against EVERYTHING...Even that crack before the limb hits you. or the sound of that slug whistling through the limbs, and the sound of brush or hoofs hitting the ground charging you....

I dare say there isn't one of you that aren't locking your car doors driving through certain neighbor hoods,looking all around going to your car in the mall,looking over your shoulder opening your hotel room door...the list goes on and on... Know your surroundings and be a little afraid.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I reread the whole thread to find where it said people were scared of the woods. Just like I thought, nobody said that...As a matter a fact people were admitting that the chances of something happening were extremely small although apparently not for you. And yes, I think I should be able to carry a small caliber pistol while I bow hunt. I carry everywhere else so why not? I freely admit I am not Rambo.....although apparently you are so its cool to have you on the forum...

I'm  not Rambo but I'm  not afraid of everything that goes bump in the dark either. By saying you need a gun for your safety everywhere u go you are in fact saying you are affraid. If they odds of something happening are so small as you say why worry about. If I worried about all the what ifs or might that could happen on a daily basis I would never leave the house. Worrying  about something happening usually causes you to make something happen. I am not saying there is no chance of it but wanting to carry a gun when bow hunting just to feel safe is a little over the top. Like I said what about the guys without a pistol? If you get to carry your pistol can they carry a shot gun.

No grow not everyone locks there truck. Mine is left unlocked and keys in no matter where I leave it. Even if I need to go to down town hood ville. Never had a problem. Yet I have had people tell stories of how they locked up but when they came back windows were broke and the belongings were stolen. I have never locked  a window or door in my life and never checked under my bed for boogeyman  after returning either. Must be luck that with all these bad things that could kill me I am still alive. 

Why you addressed that to me..I don't know..I was addressing everyone in general...I also never said anyone nor I look under are beds for the Boogy man ...but only a FOOL. ..doesn't stay aware of their surroundings...Now you can take that comment  personally or not..That's up to you.

• Like 1

I only addressed you because I was responding to what you said. Men nothing by it and didn't mean to employ you were talking about me. I knew you mentioned everyone. Just pointing out everyone does not do what you said.

I never said you or anyone else mentioned the boogeyman however expecting danger around every corner is like looking for the boogeyman..one does not need a gun to stay aware of there surroundings. And being affraid in the woods doesn't  help either. Fear is useful at times. However walking around in fear all the time is not. Being aware of noises in the woods is good. Thinking every noise in the woods is something coming to get you is not good.

12 hours ago, stubby68 said:

I'm  not Rambo but I'm  not afraid of everything that goes bump in the dark either. By saying you need a gun for your safety everywhere u go you are in fact saying you are affraid. If they odds of something happening are so small as you say why worry about. If I worried about all the what ifs or might that could happen on a daily basis I would never leave the house. Worrying  about something happening usually causes you to make something happen. I am not saying there is no chance of it but wanting to carry a gun when bow hunting just to feel safe is a little over the top. Like I said what about the guys without a pistol? If you get to carry your pistol can they carry a shot gun.

No grow not everyone locks there truck. Mine is left unlocked and keys in no matter where I leave it. Even if I need to go to down town hood ville. Never had a problem. Yet I have had people tell stories of how they locked up but when they came back windows were broke and the belongings were stolen. I have never locked  a window or door in my life and never checked under my bed for boogeyman  after returning either. Must be luck that with all these bad things that could kill me I am still alive. 

Not that you need to know but I run a store. I deal with large amounts of cash and go to the bank everyday. In the summer sometimes I am walking out of the store with over 10k...you don't think it's possible some heroine addict or general low life might find that appealing? There is a very large difference between being scared and being prepared....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with a little bit of fear or readiness it is what keeps you alive.  That fear also generates respect, caution and being prepared.  NFA No Fooling Around because up in those deep woods someone gets lost every year, and never comes out alive again.  Same with the ocean, driving a car or anything that can cause your demise. 

Many people never worry about getting robbed, having a car stolen or someone braking into your house, then when it happens they lock all doors and keep an eye out, goes back to perspective. 

While I would like to have a gun when I was deer hunting with 2 - 500lbs black bears in the area it was bow season, the cop can get away with it, not me, boy was he scared and he did not even come back in the dark.  Let me tell you EVERY black bush and dark rock looked like the Mom or Pop Bear! 

With only a bow and knife I was ok and 99.9% of the time so will you if you are hunting NY.  One thing is for sure:  When I am armed in the woods the only thing I really worry about when I get stuck in the dark is missing DINNER!  Nothing in the woods will stop me from getting back to that!  Food is probably the thing I look forward to the most when hunting!  It's so GOOD!   

• Like 1