Tractors

bigpaul

I'm looking into a tractor in the 55hp range.  I think I have figured out at least 100 tasks I can use it for around the house and property including firewood, food plots, and snow removal.  I'm looking for member experiences with different manufactures.  I have owned a John Deere X700 lawn tractor for 10 years with no regrets.  Anybody own any New Holland, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, or other tractors that they are partial to.  What are peoples preferred method of snow removal?  Snow blowers, back blades, front blades or snow pushers.  I have a 200yd driveway that can accumulate 5' drifts in the right conditions.  Any in put will be appreciated.  Thanks!      

I have a massey Ferguson 65 and a new holland 2120. New holland is my turnkey and a nice tractor.  One feature i really like which would be nice for you is the shuttle shift transmission. It allows you to go foward or reverse without pressing clutch. Thats a nice feature especially if your snowblowing.  Most new tractors have hydrostatic transmissions that functions similar.

• Like 1

There is nothing more useful for doing the chores you described than a good tractor. I got by with a small open 21 hp Kubota with a loader for many years and it was a stellar worker and reliable. I have a small farm and a long driveway and with the snow I sometimes  my plow truck and the little Kubota could be overwhelmed. 

I bit the bullet and bought a 43 hp TYM tractor (Cabelas, Mahindra)  with a heated cab for winter and air conditioning in the summer, for what I use it for it has worked out great. For snow I have a rear mounted blower, for the front end I have three options, a bucket, a power angle plow blade and a pusher. Everything is quick detach so changing over is a snap. Going into my seventh year with the TYM and she has performed flawlessly.

005_zpsshphgg7c.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I bought a new John Deere 4120, 10 years ago.  Back then that line went from 43 hp for the 4120 to 56 hp with the 4720.   They were all the same basic tractor and engine, with the fuel pressure adjusted to achieve different hp's.  I got a better deal then on the JD when comparing hp, specs and cost than I could get on comparable Kubota's, and New Hollands.  The 40-20 series had Tier III, John Deere Powertech, American-made engines back then.   Currently, John Deere is using foreign (Yanmar) engines in their smaller Tier IV engines, to meet emission requirements.   If I were to buy a new, Tier IV tractor today, in the size range you are looking at, I would lean towards Mahindra, but that would be mostly due to the fact that I have good relationships with two local dealers of that brand.

If you are interested in, and can locate a slightly used tractor (I think they stopped making them in around 2014), the JD 40-20 series would be a good pick.   My 4120 has held up fairly well, needing only oil filters, a new starter (at 4 years), a new battery (at 8 years), and new front tires (at 10 years).   Those stock R1 Titan front tires are junk and I hope the new Carlisles I put on will last a lot longer.   Other than the factory Bosh starter that failed much earlier than it should have (I replaced it with an aftermarket Powerstrike), that tractor has been bulletproof.  

With the front loader and a rear blade, my 4120 works great for clearing snow.  My tires are R1 tread, and the rears are calcium loaded.  That 4 wheel drive tractor can easily move mountains of snow, without tire chains (that is great for blacktop driveways).  Make sure you get a block heater, as most engine wear occurs in cold weather from cold starts because it takes the thickened oil a long time to get to the bearings.   I  keep it plugged into an extension cord, on a switch that I can turn on from in the house.  If I turn that switch on for an hour, the tractor starts as smooth as it does on a hot summer day, even when it is below zero outside. The rear blade/ front loader combo works well with my open station tractor because I can push back the snowbanks with the loader when they get too high.   I can see where a cab would be nice to deal with the blowing snow if you go with a blower, but for a blade, open station works fine.  

I would not want a cab on my tractor mostly because I work in an office every weekday and I love getting outside after work and on weekends.   I made a simple, large canopy for summer use that does a great job of blocking out the hot sun.   On an open station tractor, you get a nice breeze whenever you move so staying cool in the summer is no problem under that canopy here in NY state at least.   Cabs also are a pain in the woods and that fancy curved glass costs a lot of money to replace when you break it.  Good luck with your purchase.   

• Like 1

Get a back hoe attachment if you can afford it, sorry i did not buy one when i bought the tractor, comes in handy planting trees ect. If you live on the side of a mountian with slopeing ground as I am buy chains for all 4 tires ( you will see why after a heavy rain or snow ) .A cab is nice to have when plowing or moving snow when it is windy and 0 degrees or wanting to move something in the rain. If I had it to do over again I would buy the Red or the Blue Tractor

• Like 1

I have had and have many tractors.. all 55 hp tractors are not the same..a 38 hp koiti has same lift capacity as a 55 hp kubota.. 1 ton or 1 cord of firewood for an example.

1St Look at.gallon per.minute on hydrolic pumps.. that is a big thing it will give you your lift capacity the more the better.

Second you want weight.many compact and sub compact tractors are using a lot of plastic now you want steel! More weight is more traction and safer lifting as more energy into the ground..if your looking for a lawn mower then less weight is better to keep from making ruts in your lawn.

3rd look at auxiliary hydro. Is it only rear or does it have extra front? A front blower or brush bucket is great for clearing snow and removing brush and stacking it as well as loading logs to take to mill or on trailer to take to get cUT rather than skidding them out .

4th ask what hp is on drawbar and pto.. most tractors are now sold as hp from motor.. you want it on towbar and pto and buy appropriatesized equipment for behind it.. a tractor may be 55hp on motor and 35 at drawbar.. another may be 35 at.motor and 38hp at drawbar.. (info can be found online for older tractors) buying a brush hog for a 55 hp tractor amd only having 40 on pto is hard on your tractor and equipment doesn't function. Properly..

I looked at a lot of tractors and last "new one I pur chased was a kioti. Saved thousands over comparible jd,massy ,kubota and new holland, . If you cant.make a new purchase used are.fine from a dealer as they are gone over and usually have a guarantee . Get online and lok up specs on anything you are looking to buy

As for.snow removal, blades front or rear work great on stone ,blowers are better on pavement or concrete. Imo.. 2 stage blowers are better than 1 stage but remember they can throw snow a long long way..if stones are in them you don't want to be replacing windows yours or your neighbors as well as dents and chips in cars...

• Like 1

We have a 38 horse JD we bought years ago...waited and waited for a good deal. Got on Dealers call list for good trade ins coming in. Managed tractor front end loader and a backhoe for under 20.000 it was just 2yrs old,very low hours and a trade in...guy wanted a bigger one and had lots of $$$$....Knock on wood...never a problem and I work it hard...we added a mower,York rake, disc ,and forks...Our drive is 300ft long and when the snows are bad...the front end loader is great...allows us to keep the snow away from drive scoop and drive away...

snow 2 2015.JPG

• Like 1

2015-05-25 10.55.33.jpgI have a John Deere 4410, hydrostatic transmission with a snow plow on the front.  Very capable of taking care or my 400' driveway in CNY, plus mowing, grading, trail cutting and a lot more.

Great advice above, but also check out www.tractorbynet.com   Loads and loads of information from people that really know tractors, plus a lot of other interesting topics.

Edited by Otto

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I bought a new John Deere 4120, 10 years ago.  Back then that line went from 43 hp for the 4120 to 56 hp with the 4720.   They were all the same basic tractor and engine, with the fuel pressure adjusted to achieve different hp's.  I got a better deal then on the JD when comparing hp, specs and cost than I could get on comparable Kubota's, and New Hollands.  The 40-20 series had Tier III, John Deere Powertech, American-made engines back then.   Currently, John Deere is using foreign (Yanmar) engines in their smaller Tier IV engines, to meet emission requirements.   If I were to buy a new, Tier IV tractor today, in the size range you are looking at, I would lean towards Mahindra, but that would be mostly due to the fact that I have good relationships with two local dealers of that brand.

If you are interested in, and can locate a slightly used tractor (I think they stopped making them in around 2014), the JD 40-20 series would be a good pick.   My 4120 has held up fairly well, needing only oil filters, a new starter (at 4 years), a new battery (at 8 years), and new front tires (at 10 years).   Those stock R1 Titan front tires are junk and I hope the new Carlisles I put on will last a lot longer.   Other than the factory Bosh starter that failed much earlier than it should have (I replaced it with an aftermarket Powerstrike), that tractor has been bulletproof.  

With the front loader and a rear blade, my 4120 works great for clearing snow.  My tires are R1 tread, and the rears are calcium loaded.  That 4 wheel drive tractor can easily move mountains of snow, without tire chains (that is great for blacktop driveways).  Make sure you get a block heater, as most engine wear occurs in cold weather from cold starts because it takes the thickened oil a long time to get to the bearings.   I  keep it plugged into an extension cord, on a switch that I can turn on from in the house.  If I turn that switch on for an hour, the tractor starts as smooth as it does on a hot summer day, even when it is below zero outside. The rear blade/ front loader combo works well with my open station tractor because I can push back the snowbanks with the loader when they get too high.   I can see where a cab would be nice to deal with the blowing snow if you go with a blower, but for a blade, open station works fine.  

I would not want a cab on my tractor mostly because I work in an office every weekday and I love getting outside after work and on weekends.   I made a simple, large canopy for summer use that does a great job of blocking out the hot sun.   On an open station tractor, you get a nice breeze whenever you move so staying cool in the summer is no problem under that canopy here in NY state at least.   Cabs also are a pain in the woods and that fancy curved glass costs a lot of money to replace when you break it.  Good luck with your purchase.   

Im pretty sure JD compacts are all Yanmar made from top to bottom.  They just painted them green with minor detail changes.  ON that note, Yanmar motors are awesome but Yanmar 4 wheel drive front ends are JUNK, you have to be careful with them or you will bust out front end hubs at 1000 bucks a whack.  Its the weak point on them.  If your in 4 wheel drive, have a loaded bucket, turn sharp and cause the front wheel to fatigue climbing out a rut, hit a rock, wood just about anything expect to have a 3 wheel tractor.  I know this cause I have had this happen about 4 times. 

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1

I have had 2 Kubotas-smaller than what the OP is looking for. They have been great tractors. I recommend them highly. JD makes nice tractors as well. 

The only piece of advice I'll give is in regards the smaller brands. A tractor  that is 55hp and cabbed is a serious investment. I have no doubt that Kioti and other brands are good tractor-but I've seen them at some dealers that are nothing more than "Mom and Pop" operations. I was wonder how long they will stay in business, what iare the repair knowledge and facilities- you may be very handy mechanically-I do all my my own maintenance and small repairs- but what is there is a major problem? Can that dealer handle replacing a transmission under warranty? If they can't, how close is the nxt dealer that can?

Will

• Like 1