Poachers

Buck_shooter

Had a friend of a friend that shorn doe 1 time he said it stepped in front of the spike he was aiming at.I ripped him a new 1 for hour, have not seen him since told him I was gonna turn him in but never did.

Whats shorn doe?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Years ago, my BIL was hunting with us. He shot at a doe, "thought" he missed it, then shot at another one. You guessed it! He had two dead doe's and only one DMP. Lucky I had a DMP and tagged the other one. But that was the last time we ever hunted together! 

we all break the rules from time to time weather that be speeding or getting behind the wheel after a few drinks.  if your friend put some corn out bust his balls to no end and show him you can harvest deer without the aid and hopefully he will do the right thing.  If hes out there thrill killing deer and leaving them or spotlighting at night that is a different story.  I would never rat out a friend period, not how i was raised in an italian family.  But what i would do is distance myself from that buddy and if i caught him doing the same "poaching" antics on my property he'd catch a beating and be reported.  Just my take on it. 

Edited by bisceglia
  • Like 2

we all break the rules from time to time weather that be speeding or getting behind the wheel after a few drinks.  if your friend put some corn out bust his balls to no end and show him you can harvest deer without the aid and hopefully he will do the right thing.  If hes out there thrill killing deer and leaving them or spotlighting at night that is a different story.  I would never rat out a friend period, not how i was raised in an italian family.  But what i would do is distance myself from that buddy and if i caught him doing the same "poaching" antics on my property he'd catch a beating and be reported.  Just my take on it. 

This

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First, i would have to actually have some friends.

That's not really fair to say. You never had a friend who lost his licence still driving? Or a friend riding a motorcycle with just a permit alone? What one does on own land isn't my business but I wouldn't be a part of it and as said above would continue to encourage doing it the right way and pricing it can be done.

Here's the scenario I was recently in. A friend posted a picture of a buck he had taken at the beginning of this archery season and admitted he had taken it. Last week he posted a picture of himself with another bigger buck and implied but didn't admit to taking the second. In the past it always seemed like he kills more antlerless deer than can be legally possible since dmps have required preference points for years in our area. So I did make the tough decision to tip off the dec of a possible violation and why I had reason to believe so. The officer called me today and said the guy did flip and admitted to shooting both bucks as well as an additional admission to baiting them. So in fact both deer ended up being illegal. Am I an a-hole?

• Like 2

Here's the scenario I was recently in. A friend posted a picture of a buck he had taken at the beginning of this archery season and admitted he had taken it. Last week he posted a picture of himself with another bigger buck and implied but didn't admit to taking the second. In the past it always seemed like he kills more antlerless deer than can be legally possible since dmps have required preference points for years in our area. So I did make the tough decision to tip off the dec of a possible violation and why I had reason to believe so. The officer called me today and said the guy did flip and admitted to shooting both bucks as well as an additional admission to baiting them. So in fact both deer ended up being illegal. Am I an a-hole?

No but if he's a good friend and finds out I bet you won't be coming to the parties anymore. We all have to make choices and test our morals and ethics. You made your choice. I think I would have done the same depending on what kind of friends we were. But if it was a really close friend I think I would have tried to talk to him a out it first. But that's me.

• Like 2

No you aren't. It's people like this that knowingly poach animals that should see heavy fines and loss of license for at least a few seasons. Everyone has done something illegal while hunting, whether knowingly or not... Most of us do it every night hunt, we hunt past "legal" shooting light. Depends on the severity of the infraction if I'll get involved or not. I think you were more than justified in this situation. I wish more people would do the same.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If he posted it on Facebook, it's free game for all to see. Go brag on the internet buddy where only EVERYONE can see it. He will get the punishment he deserves for beIng greedy and bragging about it. You did the right thing. Don't lose sleep over it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

No but if he's a good friend and finds out I bet you won't be coming to the parties anymore. We all have to make choices and test our morals and ethics. You made your choice. I think I would have done the same depending on what kind of friends we were. But if it was a really close friend I think I would have tried to talk to him a out it first. But that's me.

Well said stone

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I really thought about talking to him directly and held off a couple days before making a decision. In the end I didn't want to accuse him of anything and cause a problem so I figured if he didn't really do anything wrong then he could easily explain it to the proper authorities. I really never thought I'd be in a situation where I'd have to make that call for someone I know. 

• Like 1

I really thought about talking to him directly and held off a couple days before making a decision. In the end I didn't want to accuse him of anything and cause a problem so I figured if he didn't really do anything wrong then he could easily explain it to the proper authorities. I really never thought I'd be in a situation where I'd have to make that call for someone I know. 

Was it just an acquaintance or was it a friend. Makes scenario very different

10 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Was it just an acquaintance or was it a friend. Makes scenario very different

He's someone I talk to once or twice a year maybe. Not someone I really felt comfortable with confronting with such an accusation but not a complete stranger either. My biggest WHAT IF was what if I told him about it then he did it again. If I turned him in after that he would know it was me. 

• Like 1

He's someone I talk to once or twice a year maybe. Not someone I really felt comfortable with confronting with such an accusation but not a complete stranger either. My biggest WHAT IF was what if I told him about it then he did it again. If I turned him in after that he would know it was me. 

[/quote

Thars pretty different with a friend I would hope the outcome would be different not worth losing a friend over a deer. IMO

A buddy of mine got a visit from the Dec a few years ago for something he had done wrong and ended up costing him over $1000. He suspects it was a friend who turned him in but admitted he was wrong and blames himself instead of who ever called the Dec. Hopefully your "friend" will be the same way and learn from this mistake. Sounds like a tough call for sure. I hope I never have to find out

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like 1