Best Loads

NYBuckHunter27

Just purchased a T/C triumph bone collector 50 cal. muzzleloader with Nikon Inline Scope, i was wondering what loads and sabots are producing the best with this gun? i currently have some harvester sabots but unfortunately the Nikon spot technology does not have any info for the harvester sabots.

My go-to load is 100 gr of 777 loose powder under a 300 gr .452 Hornady XTP in a black MMP sabot fired with a CCI 209 primer.  This load has dropped many a whitetail from both of my MLs out to 200 yds.  I really want to try it on a black bear, but haven't gotten the opportunity yet.

• Like 1

I use (2) 50 gr 777 pellets with the same bullet and sabot that CDM uses with my T/C Omega 50 cal.   Other than a single glitch about 10 years ago, where I did not find the buck until the coyotes ate most of it, it has worked well every time (it was actually 100 gr of loose pyrodex on that one).  I fired similar loads at about a dozen deer (including the one I posted in the harvest thread last week), and all but that one ended up in my freezer.   That lost buck was at 175 yards, and I would certainly not try that far again with it.  The accuracy is fine at 200 (5" diameter, 3 shot group), but I learned the hard way that there is not enough energy left at 175 yards for a good clean kill at a buck that presents a quartering away shot.    A broadside shot at that range might be doable, but I will not try it.   These days, I use my laser rangefinder to be sure that I stay within my limitations and for me that is 150 yards.  

This year's doe was only 25 yards away and the bullet went thru on a high lung shot.   There was very little if any blood on her 40 yard trail, but the chest cavity was full when I gutted her.  About half of the deer I have hit with that load, at ranges under 75 yards, have fallen dead in their tracks, while the rest have not made it farther than 50 yards.    I am confident it would work well between 75 and 150 yards, based on energy tables, but have yet to try it there.        

I have got to admit that I was a little scared hunting in NY Adirondack bear country a couple weeks ago with that load.  I definitely would have thought twice before shooting at one with it while I was deer hunting.   I am sure it would do the job at close range or broadside behind the shoulder at longer ranges.  I was a lot more comfortable with my 6 shot 30/06 after rifle season opened last Saturday.       

When I first bought the Omega, I tried many different loads and bullets.   Nothing shot as accurate as those Hornady XTP's in the black sabots.   The gun actually came from the factory with a tube of (5) of them.  I wasted a lot of money trying other stuff. My 100 yard accuracy was the best with 100 grains of loose pyrodex (2" diameter, 3 shot group).   Two 50 gr 777 pellets now hit the same place for me at 100 yards on the range, and the pellets are handier for loading and unloading.     

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Huntscreek said:

The best I found is 209 powder with Hornady XTP 45 cal's buy your sabots and bullets will run you $30 for 50. They are knock down dead bullets. Check the web on them, you will like them.

I love Blackhorn 209.  Unfortunately, it's not available local to me and it's way too expensive to ship.  Triple Se7en is available and it works  If my local shop ever starts carrying BH209, I'll make the switch.

Wolc,

FWIW, I've found that loose 777 is more consistent for me.  If a pellet chips or breaks, it's not consistent. 

I will be going for the early bear season in the NZ next year with my FX Pro Hunter.  Under 50 yards, I have no qualms about this load being sufficient on a bear. 

I expect to switch over to Blackhorn 209, when my current supply of 777 pellets are exhausted.   The easier cleanup is the main advantage there.   I never minded loose powder. I always carried a couple speedloaders, loaded with a bullet in a sabot and the correct measure of powder plus about 5 extra grains, to allow for some spillage in a fast-load situation.  With the pellets, I just put (2) in each speedloader, along with the bullet and sabot.  I carry the speedloaders and a starter rod in my right side jacket pocket.   I only used a second shot one time.  A doe that I had "double lunged", with a shot to the side at close range, started to get back up when I got next to her.  I am sure it was not necessary, but it was hard to see her suffer, and with the second shot she died.   

i shoot a TC ProHunter.  I've had good luck with both TC bonded shockwaves and hornady low drag SST 250gr sabots.  shockwaves were a tighter fit and actually 150gr on the dot shot really well.  sst sabots aren't as tight of a fit and shoot better backed off a little bit from the same powder charge.  100gr was still MOA and I shot that last but could be better.  I've got the gun to shot single hole in the past but over the years it's changed a little and had a light pitting around where the powder ring formed.

• 3 weeks later...