220 class buck would you take a shot at one if the only shot you had was the back side

LJC

There are other ways to cure 'deer fever'. Use a single shot, or only load one round in the chamber and keep the mag/tube empty. 

O yea good advice that has l9ng gone from me now but good information for others suffering from it....once it gets better you kill more deer

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I made a nearly perfect Texas heart shot one time on a wounded doe.  She jumped up out of a weed field and had one foreleg busted where it joined body her , just flapping away.

She ran right straight away and the only shot I had was right at her butt.

I was shooting a 20 gauge 1100 with a 1.5X  weaver scope and brenneke slugs.

The slug entered right in the "taint"  halfway between the anus and that thing that bucks like so well.

She didn't go far.  The lungs were shot up but there was no exit hole, so I guess the slug came out with the heart/lungs when I dressed her.

And it was NOT a pleasant job gutting her.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I made a nearly perfect Texas heart shot one time on a wounded doe.  She jumped up out of a weed field and had one foreleg busted where it joined body her , just flapping away.

She ran right straight away and the only shot I had was right at her butt.

I was shooting a 20 gauge 1100 with a 1.5X  weaver scope and brenneke slugs.

The slug entered right in the "taint"  halfway between the anus and that thing that bucks like so well.

She didn't go far.  The lungs were shot up but there was no exit hole, so I guess the slug came out with the heart/lungs when I dressed her.

And it was NOT a pleasant job gutting her.

I was just thinking to my self  reading these posts if I took those type shots  I would probably double the amount of deer I would have killed over my life .

I can't count the number of times I have kicked up deer  in brush and all you see is there  back end running away . And I just let them .   that happens more times  then I care to remember.  

Edited by LJC

Yea don't no if I will ever take that type of  shot one time I kicked up a nice 8 in some thick brush literally 10 yards from me and i hesitated to pull the trigger and he got out of site . I was not expecting it it's amazing how they can run through that thick stuff like that.  I hunt for the thrill of the chase more then anything to be honest  once you  shoot a few of them and  get older you think differently  you get some or you don't  no big deal to me any more I have a good time either way . 

Not sure what you're saying, but I've probably shot more deer than most, and I don't think it's no big deal. I still get excited when my quarry I'm hunting approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, shawnhu said:

Not sure what you're saying, but I've probably shot more deer than most, and I don't think it's no big deal. I still get excited when my quarry I'm hunting approaches.

Well I can tell you this when  I am  2,  3 miles in the woods someplace  . I don't get as  excited about having to drag a deer out of there by myself anymore like was the case when that happened.  Do you understand now .

Because I have Done that before and that part is not fun .  And you remember it . 

Well I can tell you this when  I am  2,  3 miles in the woods someplace  . I don't get as  excited about having to drag a deer out of there by myself anymore like was the case when that happened.  Do you understand now .
Because I have Done that before and that part is not fun .  And you remember it . 

The drags suck especially long ones but to me that is part of it and not a bad part. Take your time and enjoy it. That is one of the last memories you will have of that deer. That is one of the main reasons why I don't shoot small bucks anymore. It's way more enjoyable to stop and take a break from dragging and sit down and admire a mature buck.

• Like 2

things happen so quick you're not thinking things over, your reacting based on previous practices or inclination.  if you've made it a point not to take that shot in the past you'll probably just watch it run away bouncing through the cross hairs.  if you've done it in the past or simply shot at deer you'll do the same.  that's what I think.

22 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The drags suck especially long ones but to me that is part of it and not a bad part. Take your time and enjoy it. That is one of the last memories you will have of that deer. That is one of the main reasons why I don't shoot small bucks anymore. It's way more enjoyable to stop and take a break from dragging and sit down and admire a mature buck.

My favorite memory of the deer is eating it. The couple of long drags I've had are pretty awful if I'm totally honest about it :)

8 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

things happen so quick you're not thinking things over, your reacting based on previous practices or inclination.  if you've made it a point not to take that shot in the past you'll probably just watch it run away bouncing through the cross hairs.  if you've done it in the past or simply shot at deer you'll do the same.  that's what I think.

I respectfully disagree with this. Hunters are people and they age and mature. A shot I would take when I was 18 is not a shot I would take now. I am not sure if that is because I have matured or if is because archery hunting has taught me to slow down, take my time and wait for a shot. But either way, I have changed as a hunter and all for the good....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I respectfully disagree with this. Hunters are people and they age and mature. A shot I would take when I was 18 is not a shot I would take now. I am not sure if that is because I have matured or if is because archery hunting has taught me to slow down, take my time and wait for a shot. But either way, I have changed as a hunter and all for the good....

that's kind of in line with my point.  if you've subconsciously been conditioned to not take the shot then there's a good chance you won't.  shorter amount of time you've got to make a shot happen or longer it's been since you feel you would take a shot like that then there's more of a chance you won't shoot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Hmm good way to look at it i guess I have to remember what you wrote next time I'm out there for some positive thinking I guess .

Taking a shot, as I and others have mentioned  like that on deer that has all ready been shot doesn't mean:

if you've done it in the past or simply shot at deer you'll do the same.  that's what I think.

It means sometimes a follow up shot needed and in a small shot window is better than loosing a deer or in some cases killing a jumped wounded deer...I can't speak for others but at camp everyone has a "section" and directions they can shoot . We all know where everyone is. Before moving they call or blow whistles, so a quick shot at a small target in our case isn't a danger. I think most wouldn't take that as a first option ...Unless they were confident in conditions and skill level as has been stated.

I just never thought about it before I'm just precondition to gun shoot at vitals basically from the front  or side angles  of a deer . Those are the shots I have experience with .  But now that people are telling me it's effective I may try it  but only if  it is   a really close range shot .

Though nearly everyone that has done so ...said they'd never do it again...you did read the descriptions of the mess it makes...and there is more than one way to taint the flavor or cause bacteria growth on meat....guts splattered all over the inside cavity ,,,is a big one.

Edited by growalot

31 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not at all trying to be an A hole but if I remember right you haven't killed a big one yet. When you do I think you will have a different perspective.

Any deer is big when you're dragging it up a 45 degree incline, and that slope is no exaggeration, either. I have to imagine it would be even worse dragging up a "big" one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, growalot said:

Though nearly everyone that has done so ...said they'd never do it again...you did read the descriptions of the mess it makes...and there is more than one way to taint the flavor or cause bacteria growth on meat....guts splattered all over the inside cavity ,,,is a big one.

O I didn't think about that part .

I guess I will aim for the back of the neck then maybe that is if I can see it . BUT then again if it's a moster buck and that's the only shot you have .

I may take my chances .

Don't no most likely  I will hesitate and the  deer  will get away before I can shot 

Edited by LJC

My dad shot huge  one in the caskills one year up on the mountains . He  said half way out he was thinking  of just leaving the  deer right there lol  And i think that was the last time he went hunting until I got him to go a few times with me again. Lol  years later .

Btw he said that big old deer tasted  like shit tuff meat  lol  he goes to me any time I go hunting you shoot a young one bring it to me you  shot a old one donate it to charity or make dog food out of it lol 

Edited by LJC

41 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That's a fact!

O yea, it's trice as much work with out the deer just bush wacky and even more so on hilly ground  then add I deer and it's a tuff