Detached Shed/Office for Taxidermy ?

BizCT

Thinking down the road here. I currently live in a raised ranch and use the 3rd bedroom as my office/trophy room. In the event that we decide to have 2 kids, I would need this bedroom for a kid. As opposed to building an extension on the house or converting the 2 car garage into living area, I am thinking it is cheaper and probably nicer to just have a detached office/trophy room type structure. No need for a bathroom. So basically I'm thinking like a 10x12 shed like structure but insulated and with electric so that I can control the heat/humidity for my taxidermy work.

Anyone have any ideas?

I found this company randomly > http://shedsunlimited.net/backyard-home-office-shed-prefab/ I would be interested in something like the "Premier Backyard Office Studios" which includes the following:

• Two inches of closed cell foam insulation in the floor, walls and ceiling
  • Simulated hardwood flooring
  • A choice of Bead Board, Drywall or Knotty Pine interior
  • Interior paint or stained – Benjamin Moore color
  • Five Electrical Outlets
  • Two Lights
  • One Light Switch
  • One Breaker Box

I would definitely get the Knotty Pine interior. Seems to me having something like this done for $10K is way cheaper than the aforementioned ideas. Again, I got several years before deciding but curious as to others thoughts?

With all the windows and doors on those sheds, I don't think you will have much wall space to hang too much on.  That's the problem with trophies, you need a lot of wall space.  After one has kids, most mounts end up in the basement or somewhere where they are out of the way.  Family should come first.  Plus, in all honesty I've sort of got tired looking at my dust collecting mounts.  I don't regret having them done, but not like they are too important to me anymore either.

With all the windows and doors on those sheds, I don't think you will have much wall space to hang too much on.  That's the problem with trophies, you need a lot of wall space.  After one has kids, most mounts end up in the basement or somewhere where they are out of the way.  Family should come first.  Plus, in all honesty I've sort of got tired looking at my dust collecting mounts.  I don't regret having them done, but not like they are too important to me anymore either.

Yea I noticed the windows, would need less windows or covered up on the inside. I'll never get sick of looking at my trophies, that's why I want them all in 1 place like I have right now. I don't need a ton of space. They are in a 10x10 room right now with 2 windows and double door closets, and still plenty of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea I noticed the windows, would need less windows or covered up on the inside. I'll never get sick of looking at my trophies, that's why I want them all in 1 place like I have right now. I don't need a ton of space. They are in a 10x10 room right now with 2 windows and double door closets, and still plenty of room.

I think a lot of hunters are probably like you.  From my perspective, though,  I surely wouldn't build additions to the house or move into a bigger house just to have space for hunting trophies.  That would honestly be silly.  You may not grow tired of them, but I can assure you that most anyone else who visits you(unless they are a hunter who also drools over such things) won't be too impressed with hunting trophies on the wall, even if they are B&C animals.  Even some family members who live in the house may care less about any of them.  So for me it doesn't make sense going out of my way to display something that only I will really care to LOOK at.  I rather spend money to make the house more comfortable for one and all in other ways.  My take on this anyway.  You can surely do whatever you want.

• Like 2

I think a lot of hunters are probably like you.  From my perspective, though,  I surely wouldn't build additions to the house or move into a bigger house just to have space for hunting trophies.  That would honestly be silly.  You may not grow tired of them, but I can assure you that most anyone else who visits you(unless they are a hunter who also drools over such things) won't be too impressed with hunting trophies on the wall, even if they are B&C animals.  Even some family members who live in the house may care less about any of them.  So for me it doesn't make sense going out of my way to display something that only I will really care to LOOK at.  I rather spend money to make the house more comfortable for one and all in other ways.  My take on this anyway.  You can surely do whatever you want.

Yea that's why I would go this route since it's the cheapest but still would be nice.

8 minutes ago, Odorless said:

Geez dude you have a museum. I would think 10x12 is not going to cut it down the road.  I'm sure your kids won't mind dead cats looking at them from above the crib 

LOL.  Maybe he could hang one of those little musical mobiles that people put on cribs from the mountain lions fangs?  LOL

Well if you are going the shed route find out from your town what their regs are. In my town they allow 12x12 without a tax increase plus you could upsize the ceiling height to accommodate future trophies. BTW You can put in a propane heater for cold weather which I think will cost less than electric. Good luck.

Well if you are going the shed route find out from your town what their regs are. In my town they allow 12x12 without a tax increase plus you could upsize the ceiling height to accommodate future trophies. BTW You can put in a propane heater for cold weather which I think will cost less than electric. Good luck.

Unfortunately it's 100sq ft in my town, for no permit/tax increase. But I'd be willing to pay a little more if it wasn't bad for more space.

Geez dude you have a museum. I would think 10x12 is not going to cut it down the road.  I'm sure your kids won't mind dead cats looking at them from above the crib 

Lol. As much as I enjoy hunting, I also enjoy a normal house without taxidermy work scattered in bedrooms

• 4 months later...

Do you have Amish nearby? My neighbor had a beautiful board and batten shed delivered by them. It's got nice windows and a metal roof. The wives said they were claiming it for their hangout spot so I coined and copyrighted the term "She'd". It's going to be my new business, outdoor lady caves

Do you have Amish nearby? My neighbor had a beautiful board and batten shed delivered by them. It's got nice windows and a metal roof. The wives said they were claiming it for their hangout spot so I coined and copyrighted the term "She'd". It's going to be my new business, outdoor lady caves

No. But I'd be open to anything I can easily control humidity/temp inside. Thinking if I can use for both taxidermy and as a storage/changing room for pool guests.

Not looking for an argument, but you asked for opinions...   :D  I question why anyone would want to keep their trophies out of sight, in a seperate building? Isn't the idea that you want to be able to see these on a daily basis, especially considering spending on average $500 or so per mount? Most of my mounts are in my den/office, and all the skull mounts and turkey tail fans are in the attached garage (I'm out there probably 4-5 times a day), but as the time goes on, I'm out of room so now I'm invading the rest of the house, Mrs. isn't real happy with it, but she gets over it. Now, when I go visit friends south of the Mason-Dixon, they have their mounts proudly displayed in the front room (I'm jealous, LOL), but some fights aren't worth having...

Edited by Uncle Nicky

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Circling back on this. Anyone have experience with prefab finished shed/pool houses/etc.?

I bought my prefab shed a few ago from a place on Long Island......I was able to have it customized to what I wanted. I had the walls made 18" higher and eliminated a window. I'll dig up their info sometime today and get it to you. I'm sure their not the only ones who do that, may be a bit far in terms of delivery cost, but I'm sure you could find a similar place closer if needed.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Not looking for an argument, but you asked for opinions...    I question why anyone would want to keep their trophies out of sight, in a seperate building? Isn't the idea that you want to be able to see these on a daily basis, especially considering spending on average $500 or so per mount? Most of my mounts are in my den/office, and all the skull mounts and turkey tail fans are in the attached garage (I'm out there probably 4-5 times a day), but as the time goes on, I'm out of room so now I'm invading the rest of the house, Mrs. isn't real happy with it, but she gets over it. Now, when I go visit friends south of the Mason-Dixon, they have their mounts proudly displayed in the front room (I'm jealous, LOL), but some fights aren't worth having...

I live in 2,000sqft raised Ranch. Only 3BR's, 1 of which I use as a den/office right now. We have no kids yet (may try next year). But in the event we have a 2nd kid, I need to put my trophies somewhere. I've thought about finishing off garage and then adding a garage but a detached prefab type thing sounds cheaper and could come in handy as a changing room since we have people over almost every weekend to use the pool in the warmer months.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I bought my prefab shed a few ago from a place on Long Island......I was able to have it customized to what I wanted. I had the walls made 18" higher and eliminated a window. I'll dig up their info sometime today and get it to you. I'm sure they're not the only ones who do that, may be a bit far in terms of delivery cost, but I'm sure you could find a similar place closer if needed.

holy crap 10 K for a 10x10 shed?  I could build one a whole lot cheaper than that.... LOL.

couple things to think about if your going this route.

If for some unknown reason I would even entertain the thoughts of doing something like this I would choose a spot that this "shed" would set permanently, I would pour a slab on a nice thick bed of gravel then build up from there.

the problem you will have over time with a wooden floor "movable" shed is rodent intrusion, mice WILL find a way in there in due time unless you do a cement floor or close off the bottom with metal. I would say you may get around the mouse issue if you put cement board over the wood floor inside

The spray foam of 2 " on the walls is a good idea as that would likely eliminate the intrusion of flies and other small bugs, the ceiling would have to be completely sealed off as well.  having heat in there is an invite to critters and none of which are good for mounts. If your not in there daily or weekly at least a lot of damage can be done before you even realize its happening.

I would have no windows in it as its just another avenue for a thief, I would also keep the contents conversations to a minimum as to not attract attention of thieves.

holy crap 10 K for a 10x10 shed?  I could build one a whole lot cheaper than that.... LOL.

couple things to think about if your going this route.
If for some unknown reason I would even entertain the thoughts of doing something like this I would choose a spot that this "shed" would set permanently, I would pour a slab on a nice thick bed of gravel then build up from there.
the problem you will have over time with a wooden floor "movable" shed is rodent intrusion, mice WILL find a way in there in due time unless you do a cement floor or close off the bottom with metal. I would say you may get around the mouse issue if you put cement board over the wood floor inside
The spray foam of 2 " on the walls is a good idea as that would likely eliminate the intrusion of flies and other small bugs, the ceiling would have to be completely sealed off as well.  having heat in there is an invite to critters and none of which are good for mounts. If your not in there daily or weekly at least a lot of damage can be done before you even realize its happening.
I would have no windows in it as its just another avenue for a thief, I would also keep the contents conversations to a minimum as to not attract attention of thieves.

I agree. When I say shed I mean size-wise. But yea I would want it to be a detached structured with electricity and some way to heat/cool. Basically a studio apartment without a bathroom. I feel this is still cheaper than building an extension or converting garage to living space and then building separate garage.

I have a 12x16 shed that we built on a concrete slab.  Its not heated but has electricity.  Be sure to add a PVC elbow when pouring the concrete so that you can bring the wiring from the ground up through the slab.  If you are handy Biz, building one is not very hard.  Time consuming but you might just have some fun.  Its a nice addition as a pool house.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2