So I got him all cut up.....

zeus1gdsm

I just successfully butchered my first deer. Last year I used a processor. And I gotta say I'll be doing it myself from now on.

But what to do with the hide and head?

I'm thinking a European mount for the buck since it is my first one. Debating on the boil or the bury method. Is it too late to bury due to the snow?

I'm thinking of tanning the hide. It would be tail, rear thighs and front legs and 1/4a neck. Looks like I can pressure wash the fish off then it's just a salting process followed by a tanning formula...

Has anyone tanned their own hide before? Is it soft enough when all done to use on the back of a couch? More trouble than its worth?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I boil ,I add ten mule team borax to the water , remove every hour to scrape any hanging meat ,doesn't mater if the antlers touch the boiling water . Once the meat is all boiled off (careful towards the end so you don't lose and nasal bones or teeth,they come loose) I use that peroxide that the hair dressers use,it comes in a paste and can be easily applied with a paint brush ,i let that sit over night . I finish with a soft bristle brush and some oxy clean.

On 11/23/2016 at 7:57 PM, zeus1gdsm said:

I just successfully butchered my first deer. Last year I used a processor. And I gotta say I'll be doing it myself from now on.

But what to do with the hide and head?

I'm thinking a European mount for the buck since it is my first one. Debating on the boil or the bury method. Is it too late to bury due to the snow?

I'm thinking of tanning the hide. It would be tail, rear thighs and front legs and 1/4a neck. Looks like I can pressure wash the fish off then it's just a salting process followed by a tanning formula...

Has anyone tanned their own hide before? Is it soft enough when all done to use on the back of a couch? More trouble than its worth?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

You don't need to boil just a light simmer. Boiling makes a mess and the simmer does the same thing. Take it to a car wash and pressure wash it off. Then get yourself some of that peroxide paste used for bleaching hair, paint it on but do not let it get on the anlters. Let it sit overnight rinse off and bam you have your euro mount.

You can get a pot to simmer the head at sam's club in the cooking section where they have the big cutting boards and stuff.

Edited by chas0218

I use a homemade "boiler" and like Chas said do not boil, just simmer. I made mine out of a plastic wastepaper basket from a shredder that broke. I cut a hole in the back and put an electric hot water heater element in through the hole using a waterproof conduit thingy, crap I cant remember the name of it,  and then sealed it with some gutter sealant. Fill with water, plug it in, walk away. I use Dawn dish soap in with mine. Has a funny smell of venison cooking and a floral bouquet that my wife has to comment on every time and I do this outside as I learned after doing the first one inside. Peroxide at the end once its clean and if you can add some heat to it with the peroxide on it, it helps a bunch to make it much brighter. Let me know if you have any questions.

Im doing mine now and most likely a buddys and will take pics of the process and post in my journal.

• Like 1

I skip the boil and simmer completely and just skin the head while it is still fresh.  Then I put on a rainsuit, fire up the 3000 psi pressure washer and blast it clean.  It takes about a half hour total to do the job. Wrapping a little duct-tape around the base of the antlers keeps their natural color.   You can see videos on youtube of how it is done this way.  I posted a photo of one I did last year in the taxidermy section.  I already did my crossbow buck this season and will probably get the rifle one done within the next week or so.  My wife appreciates me staying out of the kitchen and keeping all the mess outside.  The birds and vermin usually have all the mess cleaned up out there by the next day.