Longer gun season?

nodeerhere

3 hours ago, Belo said:

I wonder how this data is skewed by the insane amount of accessible land in the adirondaks... which also has extremely low deer populations per square mile. Essentially hunter on top of hunter anywhere in the southern zone is just nuts. Ask anyone who lives anywhere within an hour of a city how many shots they hear every night and morning and you wonder how any deer at all survive.

it skews NY data one way for one thing and the other way for the next.  obviously it adds a ton of public land open to hunting but access is somewhat of another story unless you're pitching a tent and spending the night.  deer take buck or doe per square mile also is sandbagged by the adirondacks.  in some more urban areas of NY a hunter can keep sticking doe as long as they're checking them in.  a lot of the data came from DEC so jacked deer at night isn't even apart of that data i'm sure because they're largely unrecorded.

Where the data is lacking is density. Hunter density and deer density relative to the state land, or even private for that matter.

As for the length of season; If over 60% of the overall harvest is the first weekend of gun in the SZ with 85 percent is in the first 10 days; why is it 3+ weeks long?

Who is not a meat hunter? So sick of that rhetoric. If you don't like venison or have a designation for it you're a POS w killing tendencies. You lack self control- not protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

LOL...It seems that your last 2 posts fit right into the way many Ny land owners are thinking and doing on their own property in this state now. Some cry about it and some do it. Really if it was all private land one could use whatever weapon they deemed fit during the open deer season. When state land gets involved then the state has the say what goes on with the land they pay the taxes on.  

regulations are important, I believe in seasons and weapons etc. But this state loves to get all into your business. what type of tint you can have on your car, what color your guns are, what plants you burn and inhale... it gets to the point where they're so powerful that the "land of the free" starts to take on a new meaning or is becoming lost all together.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Belo said:

regulations are important, I believe in seasons and weapons etc. But this state loves to get all into your business. what type of tint you can have on your car, what color your guns are, what plants you burn and inhale... it gets to the point where they're so powerful that the "land of the free" starts to take on a new meaning or is becoming lost all together.

So True.. Many would be shocked the numbers and success of the hunters with larger size parcels that are calling the shots and doing their own thing on their properties. It could turn sour with the wrong hands involved but then again..Its their paid for 3 times over property so if they ruin it its on them i guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here I am reading this thread. All I can say is what a bunch of BABIES you guys muss be still on the tit. You guys wine about everything. Here’s what you all sound like: wine, wine the gun season is to short I want more days. Wine, wine the gun season is to long I want fewer days. Wine, wine if I don’t shoot that small buck the next guy will. Wine, wine I want antler restrictions because I want a big buck behind every tree. Wine, wine the DEC gives out to many doe permits. Wine, wine the DEC needs to give out more doe permits. On and on you go, some of you guys wine so much you should stop hunting it’s no longer fun for you.

Do not confuse discussion for whining. It's not the same thing. But I will admit that everyone, well almost everyone, does have an opinion and a willingness to discuss it. I get a bit frustrated listening to it all, but in the end, I'm damned glad that hunters still have enough passion over the sport that they are willing to offer those opinions. I think that there are signs that more and more hunters are losing that passion and the hunter numbers and activity seems to be bearing that out. So go ahead people, whine away. It shows that you still care.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3

Here I am reading this thread. All I can say is what a bunch of BABIES you guys muss be still on the tit. You guys wine about everything. Here’s what you all sound like: wine, wine the gun season is to short I want more days. Wine, wine the gun season is to long I want fewer days. Wine, wine if I don’t shoot that small buck the next guy will. Wine, wine I want antler restrictions because I want a big buck behind every tree. Wine, wine the DEC gives out to many doe permits. Wine, wine the DEC needs to give out more doe permits. On and on you go, some of you guys wine so much you should stop hunting it’s no longer fun for you.

Actually its spelled "whine..." And if you don't like discussion don't read it, see now you're "whining." Strong feelings come with passion, maybe you're just lacking that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, ManicOutdoorsman92 said:

I heard this 2 years ago, to be in place last year, didnt happen. Any validity to this or just rumors flying

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

subscribe to the DEC weekly digest. they're as transparent as any other government office but are pretty good about putting their ideas out there. Think about the AR survey a few years ago. Usually you can see where they're headed and I've never once seen this brought up.

• Like 1