Longer gun season?

nodeerhere

Get rid of the Oct 1st bow opener and back to the 15th, Bow/Crossbow till Dec 1st and then 3 weeks of gun. State Wide!!!!    

All these weeks of gun in the North is crazy and has helped take the deer off the landscape in any areas. Its a joke to think that Muzzle is not just like adding 2 weeks of gun season onto the already to long season.

Now that's an idea! I'm all for reverting back to the Oct. 15 bow opener.

I could also live with just 2 weeks of rifle followed by 2 weeks of muzzleloader

22 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Lol...Really.. Those same pics you put up of bucks shot 10 years ago with the hair and skin dried to the skull Big?  The 4-5 other guys on this site that hunt around me and converse with me have seen a pile of the bucks that come out of that area to our group. Between our group we all average a book buck every 3 years with our bows. Great hunters in a rough area with our bows and you keep running on about how easy bow hunting is...I call Bullshit!! Plain and simple. I will give ya the part that your little 80-90 inch bucks are pretty easy to kill in any season including bow. 

I dont believe a quoted anyone or put any names on my post....But if the shoe fits!

Sounds like I hit a nerve.     Where are the pics of the 80 inch bucks I claim to be bigger? None of the pics I have posted are of anything I would call huge however I do not recall putting up a pic of a 80 incher claiming it to be bigger. Funny how you can makes those claims off a pic of a deer yet still never offer any pics to showcase your own grandstanding. I believe the smallest one I put up was of a 130 ish.  But then your brain will see what it wants. It is always other guys have seen and our group. Never a pic and the words I got. At this point I wouldn't believe any pic you posted anyways. 

Here are a couple 80 or 90 inches for you.

Why is it so outrageous  that I think bow hunting is easy? Somethings are harder for one person then they are for others that's all. Why get upset and turn this into another arguement. I never said you were talking about me. However you stated the one who says bow hunting was easy. I never said it was easy for everyone just said it was easy for me. But the way you stated it points to me. However I commented on it because we were having a nice chat and you had to make comments that would turn it into an arguement. Even when you were not involved in our conversation you made sure to start something. Then when you get called on it you ,as usual , attack and try to talk down to that person. 

NCM_0050.JPG

20151111_205627.jpg

KIMG0014.jpg

14 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'm wondering how a guy named stubby got up so high on his pedestal...?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm  not on a pedestal. I do not claim to be better then anyone else. But if I were to get on a pedestal I would use a big ladder.

1 hour ago, stubby68 said:

Sounds like I hit a nerve.     Where are the pics of the 80 inch bucks I claim to be bigger? None of the pics I have posted are of anything I would call huge however I do not recall putting up a pic of a 80 incher claiming it to be bigger. Funny how you can makes those claims off a pic of a deer yet still never offer any pics to showcase your own grandstanding. I believe the smallest one I put up was of a 130 ish.  But then your brain will see what it wants. It is always other guys have seen and our group. Never a pic and the words I got. At this point I wouldn't believe any pic you posted anyways. 

Here are a couple 80 or 90 inches for you.

Why is it so outrageous  that I think bow hunting is easy? Somethings are harder for one person then they are for others that's all. Why get upset and turn this into another arguement. I never said you were talking about me. However you stated the one who says bow hunting was easy. I never said it was easy for everyone just said it was easy for me. But the way you stated it points to me. However I commented on it because we were having a nice chat and you had to make comments that would turn it into an arguement. Even when you were not involved in our conversation you made sure to start something. Then when you get called on it you ,as usual , attack and try to talk down to that person. 

NCM_0050.JPG

20151111_205627.jpg

KIMG0014.jpg

Really???? These are big deer? Taken in Ny with a bow?  The top one i will give ya as a keeper,In the late season if needed, the other 2 are not even shooter deer in my or most any in our groups book..  lol  If this is all you have to fight with as your claim to big mature bow kills...you are pissing into the wind.

Its not real hard to find a few pics of bucks i have harvested on this site if thats what you need. Time to stop side tracking this post from its started intent and i am sure you will continue to be called out on your..Bow hunting is easy crap by many until you can throw out some real numbers..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Really???? These are big deer? Taken in Ny with a bow?  The top one i will give ya as a keeper,In the late season if needed, the other 2 are not even shooter deer in my or most any in our groups book..  lol  If this is all you have to fight with as your claim to big mature bow kills...you are pissing into the wind.

Its not real hard to find a few pics of bucks i have harvested on this site if thats what you need. Time to stop side tracking this post from its started intent and i am sure you will continue to be called out on your..Bow hunting is easy crap by many until you can throw out some real numbers..

Ya know if brains were gas you wouldn't have enough to power a pissants scooter around a bb. Why don't you try reading? I stated that they were examples of 80 and 90 inch bucks. I have posted pics of the bigger ones and you called them small, not that I think they are huge,but now I post pics of little ones and you say one of them is a keeper?  You would take the first one in late season why? You said you only shoot big bucks that one only scores about 85 maybe less. Why would you take that one when you have already said the bigger ones I have put up would get a pass from you? Never mind you do not have an answer just as you don't for anything else. 

Yes let this get back to its original  point so you can start another argument again. Instead of just letting people talk.

15 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Ya know if brains were gas you wouldn't have enough to power a pissants scooter around a bb. Why don't you try reading? I stated that they were examples of 80 and 90 inch bucks. I have posted pics of the bigger ones and you called them small, not that I think they are huge,but now I post pics of little ones and you say one of them is a keeper?  You would take the first one in late season why? You said you only shoot big bucks that one only scores about 85 maybe less. Why would you take that one when you have already said the bigger ones I have put up would get a pass from you? Never mind you do not have an answer just as you don't for anything else. 

Yes let this get back to its original  point so you can start another argument again. Instead of just letting people talk.

Yeah Bullsh!t most times get called out around here and yours seem to be on that list more than most!  Hope for your sake that Ar never hits statewide.

On 1/2/2017 at 7:27 AM, growalot said:

In 3 years after their inclusion you'll be back complaining you didn't see any deer....I'll be sitting back with a smile saying...Well they got what they wanted...hhhmmmm:wink:

ps...I'm not saying it will be due to a mass kill off...but a combo of increased kills with deer pattern changes..so don't jump on that statement

Personally I don't care if they fully include the crossbow, but I would like to see the antlerless and either sex tags go away if they do. That removes the concern you voiced. manage ALL antlerless take through the lottery and then it is at least allocated in the correct areas and all hunters have the same shot at drawing one. 

Personally I don't care if they fully include the crossbow, but I would like to see the antlerless and either sex tags go away if they do. That removes the concern you voiced. manage ALL antlerless take through the lottery and then it is at least allocated in the correct areas and all hunters have the same shot at drawing one. 

In a perfect world I would agree. Me personally I just don't have that much faith in our dec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:23 PM, stubby68 said:

You mean they are suppose to stay on trail. Heck down town the trail crosses main street go's up past gas station then swings back around back to gas station. The sidewalks are marked and blocked no snowmobilesuch Guess what everyone through there goes down sidewslk. No regard for warnings until the cops start handing out tickets. They blow across my front and back yard and there is no trail within a 1/2 mile. They cut through lawns to get to another part of trail to save time. Not just a couple bad apples. A whole basket of bad. This thread is not about that though so let's bring it back to the hunting seasons. Not the toy season.

your typing makes my head hurt

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:53 AM, nyantler said:

It wouldn't really matter what the DEC did with season lengths or bag limits at this point... most of what goes on is a direct result of the actions of the hunter. A good example would be the guy that says the season is too long and the deer population is taking a big hit... yet he continues to fill 3-4 tags every year. Or the guy that whines of the herd being too big, but is against killing a doe or advocates for a 1 buck only season. Usually when someone becomes adamant about changing something it's because it isn't working for them personally and they want to change things to make the game a bit easier to play for them... most don't really care about the overall conservation impact, just the personal impact on themselves. The answer to solving conservation problems is really easy when there is full understanding and cooperation from all hunters... the real problem is that for most hunters (me included) their is the personal experience element that make things much more complicated and tends to mucks up the whole works. The proof can be seen in just the number of different opinions offered in this thread alone.

I  believe the whiner you speak of is mostly bitching about his or her neighbors. I would guess only 2% of hunters in NY enjoy large enough tracks of private land where their herds are not impacted by neighboring hunters. Heck, a lot of guys hunt public land.

It is hard to hunt <100 acres and have any real influence on the herd if:

A. you don't know what's being shot by neighbors, so you're not sure if you should leave the doe alone or shoot more

B. every bb and yearling buck you let go gets shot by the neighbors too.

Listen, I know that's a selfish thought. But how many times on here do you see "if it's legal, who cares". "if you have that tag, fill it". The bitching crowd is typically the ones frustrated by bad neighbors with no ability to influence it.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:20 PM, wolc123 said:

You are mostly right.  The only little tweak we need is full inclusion of the cross-bow.    I spent about the same number of weekends out there and had deer in range on all but the last two.   We were able to harvest enough deer this year to fill my freezers as well as those of friends, neighbors, and extended family members.   That crossbow inclusion would have resulted in two more DMP's filled for donation to the homeless folks.   Instead, there are still way too many deer around here (based on all the tracks I just saw out on the snow having just returned from a squirrel hunt), and some folks who will be a little hungrier than they would otherwise be this winter.   

nothing stopped your pansy ass from hunting with a real bow. don't blame not having a crossbow on not killing more deer to fill your brothers cousins mailman's freezer.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Belo said:

I  believe the whiner you speak of is mostly bitching about his or her neighbors. I would guess only 2% of hunters in NY enjoy large enough tracks of private land where their herds are not impacted by neighboring hunters. Heck, a lot of guys hunt public land.

It is hard to hunt <100 acres and have any real influence on the herd if:

A. you don't know what's being shot by neighbors, so you're not sure if you should leave the doe alone or shoot more

B. every bb and yearling buck you let go gets shot by the neighbors too.

Listen, I know that's a selfish thought. But how many times on here do you see "if it's legal, who cares". "if you have that tag, fill it". The bitching crowd is typically the ones frustrated by bad neighbors with no ability to influence it.

Whats' wrong with people filling legal tags? We pay for them, so now we aren't supposed to use them? I have said this before, the issue with DMP's is the selfish people who have no intent to use them, apply for them anyway, keeping those of us who would use them in certain areas from getting them. I could mention a few names, but I won't! If you don't plan to shoot a does or button buck, don't apply for the permits!

The bitching crowd is typically the ones frustrated by bad neighbors with no ability to influence it.

That's not 100 true. I have close to 200 ( over all, about 80 acres is seesawed around camps making it tough hunting for the rifle season ) acres of private land to hunt in the NZ. 100 acres of that I have spent a ton of time in. Learning travel routes, what water source the use at what time of day, and bedding areas. Never had an issue with trespassers during the hunting season up there. Knock on wood!!!!!!!

Not sure why a longer gun season would make so many irate, on average it's three for the SZ. The bow season is how long? You can use a bow during the regular seasons, in both the NZ and SZ. So what stops people from bow hunting during that time?

The public land thing is just irritating. If you are stuck hunting a bad public land area, sorry, but to be honest that's all on you! There are thousands and thousands of acres of public land to hunt in this state. There are many areas that don't get a ton of pressure, if any. People just need to be willing to drive to them. Get a few good hunting buddies you trust, rent a hotel/motel room, chip in to buy a canvas wall tent and a wood stove and spend a week deer camp hunting public land.

Anyway, all your rants and raving on here won't change the seasons do a damn thing to press your personal opinion on hunting seasons. 

13 hours ago, ....rob said:

Whats' wrong with people filling legal tags? We pay for them, so now we aren't supposed to use them?

nothing at all. But when we talk legislation on this forum the reason some are in favor for shortening seasons, reducing dmp's, implementing 1 buck rules and ARs etc. is because they don't want neighbors filling all the tags they have right now and have no legal recourse to stop it. I'm not saying it's my opinion, but there is a mindset that education can only go so far and some members here wonder why other members would ever want to change anything and I'm simply providing a reason why.

I have brown its down neighbors on 2 sides. I'd love to see some ARs because it seems our mature buck population keeps dwindling. Is that selfish? of course, but I'm just being honest. We take a doe and maybe a buck or 2 every year and practice QDM, but if the neighbors don't it's all for nothing. It's the same reason many here don't want longer gun seasons. Save some freaking deer.

Deer aren't over populated in most hunting woods. They're overpopulated in parks and no-hunting zones. This leads to frustrated drivers, gardeners and insurance companies and also leads to overhunting and scarce sightings in other areas.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Belo said:

nothing at all. But when we talk legislation on this forum the reason some are in favor for shortening seasons, reducing dmp's, implementing 1 buck rules and ARs etc. is because they don't want neighbors filling all the tags they have right now and have no legal recourse to stop it. I'm not saying it's my opinion, but there is a mindset that education can only go so far and some members here wonder why other members would ever want to change anything and I'm simply providing a reason why.

I have brown its down neighbors on 2 sides. I'd love to see some ARs because it seems our mature buck population keeps dwindling. Is that selfish? of course, but I'm just being honest. We take a doe and maybe a buck or 2 every year and practice QDM, but if the neighbors don't it's all for nothing. It's the same reason many here don't want longer gun seasons. Save some freaking deer.

Deer aren't over populated in most hunting woods. They're overpopulated in parks and no-hunting zones. This leads to frustrated drivers, gardeners and insurance companies and also leads to overhunting and scarce sightings in other areas.

So True...This all goes back to piss poor Mgmt by our great DEC. They keep throwing seasons and tags when what the herd really needs is less seasons and less tags.

Just wait till they find the next case of CWD in this state and the sharpshooting starts on areas that already have a hurting deer population.  Thats a fix all dont ya know?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

So True...This all goes back to piss poor Mgmt by our great DEC. They keep throwing seasons and tags when what the herd really needs is less seasons and less tags.

Just wait till they find the next case of CWD in this state and the sharpshooting starts on areas that already have a hurting deer population.  Thats a fix all dont ya know?

If they expect to come on my property they better have a warrant and the state will have a pending law suit for money spent on gas and food to supplement my family on the amount of venison we eat. What's the going rate for organic grass fed beef then times that by the hundereds of pounds of venison my family consumes yearly then the special trips into the grocery store we need to take it adds up quickly. 

when it comes to whitetailed deer and their acknowledged range.... NY state has the 4th highest amount of acreage open to the public for hunting them.  we're 10th in the nation for antlerless deer harvested per square mile.  7th in the nation for buck harvest per square mile.  we lead the nation with the highest % of yearling buck harvest that our the easiest deer to harvest. we don't need longer seasons.  if you need a longer season and more time to hunt then you had an unusual hardship keeping you from the woods, didn't care to make more time for hunting, or need to be under the wing of a more experienced hunter to help get the job done. this utilized opportunity is bitter sweet in my opinion as our hunting satisfaction and anticipation is based on quantity and not quality.  our state managed predator population as a whole is increasing and we currently have deer in the best situation given we've got nothing like EHD, CWD, or blue tongue to contend with.  this target rich environment can't last forever and highest yearling buck take in the nation down right sucks from perspectives of both a quality hunting experience and whitetail ecology .....but nevermind we're doing fine.

the way we're going is a like a cruise ship on the best body of water with a slow leak and no bilge pump.  there's more than enough hands on board to fix the situation but everybody's too worried about enjoying their own vacation to bother what's best for everybody as a whole to keep the vacation going.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

when it comes to whitetailed deer and their acknowledged range.... NY state has the 4th highest amount of acreage open to the public for hunting them.  we're 10th in the nation for antlerless deer harvested per square mile.  7th in the nation for buck harvest per square mile.  we lead the nation with the highest % of yearling buck harvest that our the easiest deer to harvest. we don't need longer seasons.  if you need a longer season and more time to hunt then you had an unusual hardship keeping you from the woods, didn't care to make more time for hunting, or need to be under the wing of a more experienced hunter to help get the job done. this utilized opportunity is bitter sweet in my opinion as our hunting satisfaction and anticipation is based on quantity and not quality.  our state managed predator population as a whole is increasing and we currently have deer in the best situation given we've got nothing like EHD, CWD, or blue tongue to contend with.  this target rich environment can't last forever and highest yearling buck take in the nation down right sucks from perspectives of both a quality hunting experience and whitetail ecology .....but nevermind we're doing fine.

the way we're going is a like a cruise ship on the best body of water with a slow leak and no bilge pump.  there's more than enough hands on board to fix the situation but everybody's too worried about enjoying their own vacation to bother what's best for everybody as a whole to keep the vacation going.

Conveniently left out the fact of THAT number going down every year recently. 

21 hours ago, ....rob said:

The public land thing is just irritating. If you are stuck hunting a bad public land area, sorry, but to be honest that's all on you! There are thousands and thousands of acres of public land to hunt in this state. There are many areas that don't get a ton of pressure, if any. People just need to be willing to drive to them. Get a few good hunting buddies you trust, rent a hotel/motel room, chip in to buy a canvas wall tent and a wood stove and spend a week deer camp hunting public land.

Anyway, all your rants and raving on here won't change the seasons do a damn thing to press your personal opinion on hunting seasons. 

It is on you, if you're hunting public land; you and I agree on that.  But the solution is where I disagree with you.  The solution, at least for western NY, is to buy into a lease and make friends with a land owner.  There are tens of thousands of acres of public land in NY, not even counting the ADK's.  But the problem is there are also a lot of hunters competing for deer on those acres.  Unless you've found a quiet piece of public land that isn't heavily traveled, of which there aren't many, your best bet is to find access to private land.

There is simply too much hunting pressure on most the WMA's I have been to here in western NY for it to be productive or enjoyable.  The ADK's and Tug Hill is a different story, but then again there is a night and day difference between the deer densities there as compared to the densities in western NY.

Edited by Padre86

34 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

It is on you, if you're hunting public land; you and I agree on that.  But the solution is where I disagree with you.  The solution, at least for western NY, is to buy into a lease and make friends with a land owner.  There are tens of thousands of acres of public land in NY, not even counting the ADK's.  But the problem is there are also a lot of hunters competing for deer on those acres.  Unless you've found a quiet piece of public land that isn't heavily traveled, of which there aren't many, your best bet is to find access to private land.

There is simply too much hunting pressure on most the WMA's I have been to here in western NY for it to be productive or enjoyable.  The ADK's and Tug Hill is a different story, but then again there is a night and day difference between the deer densities there as compared to the densities in western NY.

Check out the parcels in southern region 7. many a day I don't even hear any shots after the first weekend.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Check out the parcels in southern region 7. many a day I don't even hear any shots after the first weekend.  

I haven't been that far south to hunt yet.  But I have been to a lot of the WMA's and state parks in the central areas of Region 8 and 9; my experience has been that there is a lot of competition out there for the first week or two, after which the deer become very scarce.