Getting ready for 3D archery

The_Real_TCIII

I'll be fletching and assembling these bad boys today, new shafts for 3D. Carbon Express CXLPro 250s.

There doesn't seem to be too many 3D shooters on here, you folks that have never tried it should get to a shoot this year. It's a good time, shoot as a walk on with your hunting rig and have a blast. If you're in WNY there are two Sunday leagues just watch the paper for locations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0cf9a8bd13077920749ff232b87ac2f0.jpg

Nice

myself ,wife and oldest boy will be hitting the Pen-York league hard this year. Wife and I used to shoot 3-d a bunch back before our boys got involved in sports so now that they a grown we are going to start shooting more again . 

• Like 2

i've hit up random shoots throughout NY at times but can't really do a statewide league/championship.... only local ones.

ellicottville where the IBO worlds have been is doing one i think i saw.  there is a couple NY state championship series called "NYS 3D Archery Challenge"; one in western ny and one here in the east.

just tried out Carbon Expess arrows last year and shooting them this year.  Shooting the Maxima BLU Redzone arrows.  Seem to work pretty good.  got the setup down to 5 grains per lb and still shooting okay.

• Like 1

Yeah I get that. I like the smaller diameter ones better for cutting wind versus cutting scoring rings. Local league I'm in is bow hunting setups out to 80 or so yards. Only stretched that far for champ shoot-out at end with top 6 or so guys. Not your typical IBO rules. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'll be fletching and assembling these bad boys today, new shafts for 3D. Carbon Express CXLPro 250s.

There doesn't seem to be too many 3D shooters on here, you folks that have never tried it should get to a shoot this year. It's a good time, shoot as a walk on with your hunting rig and have a blast. If you're in WNY there are two Sunday leagues just watch the paper for locations

0cf9a8bd13077920749ff232b87ac2f0.jpg

Are you always a walk on or do u shoot for a certain club? I used to love winter 3d pre kids. I used to do south town league.  

80 yards would be the bottom of my sight I think!

I shoot a league late summer that ends when archery opens ,mostly guys do it to practice for hunting

That's what most people do. It's about the best practice you can get.

80 yards would be the bottom of my sight I think!

My primary hunting bow has fixed pins to 50 yards. Others were using HHA or spot hog single pin slider sights assumed to be dialed in out to that far. I just couldn't hold over as accurate. I always have a backup hunting setup with an HHA that i also use for that league. As I said not exactly IBO rules like most shoots.

That's a fair poke for most guys with a gun.....

During the shootout spots and distances are made up on the fly by the guy who owns course. If nobody's missing a target the yardages get farther. Its a challenge with a lot of cursing and heckling happening. It's all in good fun though.

• Like 1

one thing i've gone to is a full helical on my vanes.  seems to get tighter groups.  Arizona archery that makes my EZ-fletch jig even discussed their testing and differences in drop compared to straight.  i thought the tighter grouping out weighed a slight increase in drop due to added drag.

...that's with blazers.  i buy them in bulk so i've never really ran out.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Are you always a walk on or do u shoot for a certain club? I used to love winter 3d pre kids. I used to do south town league.  

I shoot in the southern league in the hunter class and we are looking for a few guys this year. We took 1st in the B class shoot off last year and 2nd overall in Hunter class, and two guys decided to make the move to open this year. Anyone interested in shooting send me a PM....We shoot early so we are home by 10:30 most Sundays...Unless we shoot a double.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I shoot in the southern league in the hunter class and we are looking for a few guys this year. We took 1st in the B class shoot off last year and 2nd overall in Hunter class, and two guys decided to make the move to open this year. Anyone interested in shooting send me a PM....We shoot early so we are home by 10:30 most Sundays...Unless we shoot a double.

I appreciate the offer.  At this point of my life with kids and job it wouldn't be fair to commit to that. Even if I doubled up I would still be short some scores. We don't do daycare and when I am off a weekend my wife typically works.  

• Like 1

On another note I really enjoyed the 3d league, but some guys took it far too serious. I would cringe being stuck behind the guys with binoculars. Im all for looking where the 10 ring is but those guys would stare at the targets forever! To me it was fun and great practice but the competition part truly turned me off. I think I would enjoy being a walk on though. 

No problem...I myself have a two under 3 and this season will be a challenge. The only reason I am still in the league is I shoot with my dad(who turns 70 end of January ) and and he really enjoys it so my wife is very supportive.
I already mentioned to him if it gets difficult this season we can explore other options like shooting in a spot league or indoor 3d at S&S next season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

No problem...I myself have a two under 3 and this season will be a challenge. The only reason I am still in the league is I shoot with my dad(who turns 70 end of January ) and and he really enjoys it so my wife is very supportive.
I already mentioned to him if it gets difficult this season we can explore other options like shooting in a spot league or indoor 3d at S&S next season.

S&s has a great range.  I did a techno hunt league at docs Archery few years ago that was a blast.  Wolcott on Walden last time i  was there was just setting there's up. Haven't been to wolcott in a couple years but id do that. 

We have a few guys in the same situation including myself and have talked about the S&S league too