Homemade Soppresatta , pics attached.

NYBowhunter

It was a long process, took me 4 hrs. to stuff 55lbs, unfortunately this was a lonely endeavor. The wife was busy with 2 kids that were sick, so did it all solo. In any case a few pictures to somewhat document the process, but there so much more involved that couldn't possibly document everything. I used 25lbs venison and 30lbs pork.   Mixed it all up, added all spices, wine, salts , preservatives and let it sit overnight, stuffed in casing, placed in smoker for 10hrs, now they are drying in cool place for a couple weeks.

20161226_160114.jpg

20161226_162125.jpg

20161226_201449.jpg

20161227_133542.jpg

20161230_115732.jpg

20161230_123159.jpg

• Like 14

Very nice!! Looks awesome!!

It is a job and a half but so rewarding when you are eating your own homemade sausage you took from field to finished product with your own hands!! I was disappointed I could not get one more deer since I have not had much to make into sausage. I have one pack of Kabanosy left.

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Looks great!  How do you like that smoker?   Is it a charbroil?

Yeah like it alot. Can pobably get up to 30lbs of sausage in there. In this instance i did two batches. No its a Masterbuilt electrical with digital touchscreen. Makes smoking very simple and no babysitting with the same benefits offered in your conventional propane and charcoal smokers.

20 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Yeah like it alot. Can pobably get up to 30lbs of sausage in there. In this instance i did two batches. No its a Masterbuilt electrical with digital touchscreen. Makes smoking very simple and no babysitting with the same benefits offered in your conventional propane and charcoal smokers.

Thanks.  Thinking of buying an electric enclosed smoker at some point. You use it indoors?

50 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Very nice!! Looks awesome!!

It is a job and a half but so rewarding when you are eating your own homemade sausage you took from field to finished product with your own hands!! I was disappointed I could not get one more deer since I have not had much to make into sausage. I have one pack of Kabanosy left.

Thanks. I agree fletch theres nothing like killing your own deer on property you work so hard to make into a deer haven, to buthchering your own deer and then turning that deer into a multitude ways to consume. Between my Nephew  (first time hunter) and myself we took 6 deer, so we had plenty of chopmeat. Im gonna take a little break but sometime this winter im also going to make around another 40 -50lbs of fresh italian sausauge (getting ready for summer grilling.).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks.  Thinking of buying an electric enclosed smoker at some point. You use it indoors?

Good God No., its like any other smoker you must have it outside in a well ventilated area. I usually place it out on my front open porch,  but the area is also protected  from the elements with a awning. 

On 12/30/2016 at 3:48 PM, NYBowhunter said:

Is it the 30" or the 40"? I just bought the redhead 40" this past black friday only seasoned it so far. My last masterbuilt went out on me after 6 years of use. I used it quite a bit smoking a lot of venison, ribs, pork chops, potatoes, whole bunch of different foods. I upgraded to the bigger one just for the reason of being able to smoke all the meat at once. I was able to get about 20-30lbs of meat in the 30" the 40" looks like it will fit 40-50lbs. or 2 turkeys. Our family seems to be getting bigger and on thanksgiving we usually smoke a store bought turkey or 2 wild ones for the family on thanksgiving. 

This is 80lbs. of burger (65lbs. venison 15lbs. pork) that I made into 15lbs. trail bologna, 15lbs. summer sausage, and 50lbs. of hot and sweet italian. I don't use as much pork as you do and the meat is much leaner.

20151201_181520_zpsbaa1eu5t.jpg

Edited by chas0218

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

That's looking SUPER!! As the site food safety analyst you should forward a stick for testing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha good one. Wish i could give everyone one to try, but with 6 in just my household alone and coming from a huge italian family, this stuff dont last...lol

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, virgil said:

That really looks great.  You mentioned that you used about 50% pork.  What cuts did you use?  Or, did you use pork trimmings for the extra fat?

My dad picked up the pork for me at a local asian market, they ground it for you. Not sure exactly what cuts they use. I use thier chopmeat as it tends to be on the fatty side, which you need when mixing with a very lean meat like venison.

57 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Is it the 30" or the 40"? I just bought the redhead 40" this past black friday only seasoned it so far. My last masterbuilt went out on me after 6 years of use. I used it quite a bit smoking a lot of venison, ribs, pork chops, potatoes, whole bunch of different foods. I upgraded to the bigger one just for the reason of being able to smoke all the meat at once. I was able to get about 20-30lbs of meat in the 30" the 40" looks like it will fit 40-50lbs. or 2 turkeys. Our family seems to be getting bigger and on thanksgiving we usually smoke a store bought turkey or 2 wild ones for the family on thanksgiving. 

This is 80lbs. of burger (65lbs. venison 15lbs. pork) that I made into 15lbs. trail bologna, 15lbs. summer sausage, and 50lbs. of hot and sweet italian. I don't use as much pork as you do and the meat is much leaner.

20151201_181520_zpsbaa1eu5t.jpg

It must be the 30", definitely not the 40. In hindsight probably should have gone with a larger smoker. My initial intentions was to just smoke jerky, but as you can see my smoking has blossomed into much bigger  endeavors. Guess my next one will be much bigger. Smoked turkey, now that sounds awesome.

• Like 1

Thier about 3/4 dry but couldn't wait to try. Took a piece and cut up, was delicious.  Cant wait, another week or so and should be all ready.
20170104_190305.jpg

NY,
You're that close already? I thought this was an 8 weeks drying period.
Question,
I have been having trouble with my temps and humidity. Temp has been dropping into the forties. If I open the door to warm things up a little my humidity drops. I have been struggling to get the humidity up to 60%. Should I be concerned?

48 minutes ago, pt0217 said:

NY,
You're that close already? I thought this was an 8 weeks drying period.
Question,
I have been having trouble with my temps and humidity. Temp has been dropping into the forties. If I open the door to warm things up a little my humidity drops. I have been struggling to get the humidity up to 60%. Should I be concerned?

I smoke my soppresatta for 10 to 12 hours before hanging which cuts down on my drying time. If you skip the smoking process and just hang after making them then your hang/dry time would be much longer. I anticipate that around  the 3rd or 4th weeks they will be dry, but inside of the soppresatta  will still be slightly moist like i like it. I dont measure humidity, i just keep in a cool place. A temp. Of 40 is fine not sure why you would want it warmer. My enclosed patio temps fluctuate slightly ,  I just ensure its nice and cold which is usually not a problem this time of year. I periodically wipe them off as they tend to drip off natural oils as they dry. Im right about 13 days into drying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

9f75bd0c5cfdbdd2ed2c0dcfc0b423c0.jpg

I weighed my sopresatta this morning and it is ready. It lost a little more than 30% it's weight. It's my first time doing this so I wasn't expecting perfection. I was really just hoping it would be edible.
It turned out pretty good. It has a very rich flavor. The red wine in the recipe is prominent. I would have liked to see the fat a little smaller but I was afraid to run it through the grinder so I cut it by hand. Overall I think it came out real good.

• Like 1