Time of day/ night for predators

I have had the most luck within a few days of a full moon (I think it will be the 14th this month) , and around 10 pm is a good time.   A few years ago, I killed my last red fox (with a load of #4 shot) that came in to a dying rabbit mouth call.  It was right around 10:00 pm, on a moonlit night.

I only go out when there is plenty of moonlight and snow on the ground.   That makes seeing them a piece of cake.  Where you setup to call is important.   Make sure you can see a long way downwind.  Usually they stick to the cover as long as they can but they always seem to make their final approach from downwind.     

+1 on moon and snow. As it's hard to pan the handheld light and shoot.  Under moon and snow there's no need for the light. You can clearly identify and see you quarry. And yes, cold temps ,the critters will move.

Did you call in multiple places or dusk til 10 in the same? Only need 20-30 minutes at each. They ain't coming, they ain't coming.. I used to sit 20 minutes but since learned that coyotes may take a little longer to coax in. Fox come flying in.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

+1 on moon and snow. As it's hard to pan the handheld light and shoot.  Under moon and snow there's no need for the light. You can clearly identify and see you quarry. And yes, cold temps ,the critters will move.

Did you call in multiple places or dusk til 10 in the same? Only need 20-30 minutes at each. They ain't coming, they ain't coming.. I used to sit 20 minutes but since learned that coyotes may take a little longer to coax in. Fox come flying in.

Right on the money with this advice.  I'll add that dawn and dusk is good during any moon phase. Also we have had luck at mid morning on cold sunny days. But as already stated, cold full moon nights, at anytime of the night will always be the optimal time to go. Good luck out there!

8 hours ago, rachunter said:

pick up a few books from andrew lewand he's from new york,i've read a few of his books there very helpful 

eastercoybook__72876.1302550643.1280.1280.jpg

I agree I've read 3 of Andrews books and are great. He actually debunks the theory on full moons being best time. That's just a myth. But I haven't myself notice any more luck on full moon nights 

• Like 1

I've always had a tough time with scanning and holding the controller and gun at same time. I bought a red scan light that mounts on top my scope with a pressure switch mounted on the gun. Now I can scan with my gun. The sets are shorter cause I get tired after 20min of holding gun up to scan. Having another guy is huge help

A friend of mine that does a good amount of predator hunting told me 9pm-12 is the best with a new moon. He said full moon is the worst. He took me out during the last week of December and we called in two fox but couldn't seal the deal

Edited by E J

On 1/7/2017 at 6:07 PM, sodfather said:

I've always had a tough time with scanning and holding the controller and gun at same time. I bought a red scan light that mounts on top my scope with a pressure switch mounted on the gun. Now I can scan with my gun. The sets are shorter cause I get tired after 20min of holding gun up to scan. Having another guy is huge help

You should NEVER scan with your rifle. Basic gun safety. All you really need for a scan light is a good headlamp, then mount a more powerful kill light on your rifle. Find the eye shine with your headlamp, and then get it in the scope and hit the kill light when you are ready.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You should NEVER scan with your rifle. Basic gun safety. All you really need for a scan light is a good headlamp, then mount a more powerful kill light on your rifle. Find the eye shine with your headlamp, and then get it in the scope and hit the kill light when you are ready.

Thanks your right I should know that... 

• Like 1

Full moons are terrible imo. Coyotes are wary by nature and don't like to expose themselves If they can help it. Dark nights are my favorite.
The scan light is essentially your shield because if you keep your their eyes lit with the halo, they won't be able to see you. My handheld scan light is on the whole time. I can't tell you how many times I've walked up to a field to find the preds already there.
I keep my scan light and FoxPro remote on lanyards around my neck so I can drop them and hit the pressure switch for the gun mounted kill light. My preferred time would be any time from sundown to sunrise. I have good luck with fox in the last 2 hours prior to daylight.