buck chasing a doe...

growalot

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That is what happens when the doe population is so crazy high that they cant get the breeding done in the first or even second rut. 

Exactly.... a lot of people think it's like turkeys... 1 buck can breed a lot of does... 1 buck can breed about 6 -7 does a year tops.... After that, any bred will deliver their fawns to late to survive... hence doe to buck ratio's over that # is not beneficial... 

Just talked to UPS guy...mentioned this and he tells me that he stopped near Harriett Hollister during Nov. gun season last year...one of town highway guys stopped to bust his chops and they see a spotted doe cross the road in front of them...He says little late isn't it? knowing it was,he's a big hunter. The town guys says yep seen her several times....I saw two on our place in late Oct.

Edited by growalot

I believe that with these mild winters we will see more of this in both high and low doe herds..believe it or not..global warming??? All I know is the seasonal weather patterns are changing...not only sending plants off but I believe animals of their regular production times...it's not as simple as day light..everything's connected..later fawns come in at later times. As these fawns drop  and those fawn make it due to milder winters and good food....... they will drop late and then come back in late and the cycle will continue

On 1/18/2017 at 4:26 PM, growalot said:

I believe that with these mild winters we will see more of this in both high and low doe herds..believe it or not..global warming??? All I know is the seasonal weather patterns are changing...not only sending plants off but I believe animals of their regular production times...it's not as simple as day light..everything's connected..later fawns come in at later times. As these fawns drop  and those fawn make it due to milder winters and good food....... they will drop late and then come back in late and the cycle will continue

Every year, in our neck of the woods, some does come into estrus in September, more in October, the majority in November, some in December, and a few in January, and even February. And since the constant is a 200-day +/- we will see s a few spotted fawns in the following November and December.

Does have been known and documented to cycle multiple times in a given season. Not all does take on he first shot, they will cycle again and buck will be back on them, even if and after their antlers have dropped. it can be as late as march and you can see that behavior