What a Joke !

fasteddie

Normally I don't watch hunting shows as they are pretty boring . 10 minutes of a hunt with 20 minutes of advertising .

Flipping channels and clicked on The Outdoor Channel . Jim Shockey  taking people on bear hunts on Vancover Island . The bears would be roaming around , see the hunters and just amble off and go about their business . They were pretty tame . One bear was shot at 13 yards with a rifle . It was difficult to consider it a hunt . It was more like walking through a shooting gallery . 

Steve Rinella's "Meat Eater" show is pretty decent IMHO, and he always seems to have something insightful to say on the show and on his podcast.  It was definitely more focused towards big-country type hunting that you see out west, but still it's interesting.  

His show seems more focused on the culture of hunting in general than it is on getting the "trophy" shot that you sometimes see emphasized and glorified on other shows; I think there have even been episodes where he walked away empty-handed.

• Like 3

The only show I really follow is Salmon Showdown. The hunting shows don't do it for me my father in law takes what they say to heart about products and stuff. He has bought more stuff sponsored by different guys because it is the new and improved yada yada. I do just fine with my real antlers and $10 true talker grunt call.

Fresh Track with Randy Newberg and Meateater with Steve Rinella are the only hunting shows I watch for purely a hunting basis.  I watch Jim Shockey's Uncharted more for the fantastic scenery he hikes into.  I also occasionally watch Ivan Carter's "Carter's WAR" for the conservation journalism.

I dislike these fairytales as well but I'm kind of hyped up on The Mountain Man on History channel, it's more about living in the mountains and survive than the hunting show. In order to make it there they hunt/fish/trap etc. Some of the episodes at least sound/look real, one dude was trapping for 2 months in Alaska to no avail, heck after 2 months trapping with no success I would be long gone to some place else. Their hunts also show misses and their failures, kind of closer to reality than regular hunting show where every shot is a success. I also DVR them so I can skip the commercials.

4 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

Im not one for those types of hunts, but  i dont think these bears are tame and i doubt the hunts are staged. Just alot of editing before you actaully view the hunt  on TV and the bears act this way because they are not pressured. 

They even stated on the show that the bears on Vancover Island were relatively tame and that they don't encounter many humans which is the reason they show little reaction when there is an encounter . They also stated that due to the climate that the bears don't hibernate . It was amazing how close they got to the bears !