What is this world coming to?

nodeerhere

I'm not saying they aren't useful. They have there place! But people are addicted to them. I see people who are oblivious to what's going on around them. Like a bunch of zombies! I mean people get hit by cars because they walk out in traffic looking at there phones! I'm saying some people should put that thing down once in a while and check out real life. 

• Like 3

What if your job requires use of your phone? Youd be surprised how common that is now days.

LOL, I'm accused of rambling in another thread yet ,I would actually have to point out obvious exceptions in this. People wonder why I feel a need for  inserting examples and pictures.  No I would not be surprised. IE construction sites, phones not radios, Office jobs...but the guy on a assembly line( really am I doing this:rolleyes:) the person waiting tables, washing dishes,clerking at a check out, receptionist. No one has to take a personal call or many, throughout the day...Nor do they NEED to make them...actually this site and many, boggle my mind with work hour tap talk.

Wait.... before you say it..... I'm sure your all putting in the absolute most productive day for your bosses and you deserve this forum time for all the extra hours you (not you personally) put in...Did I cover everything?, Yep, think so.:wink:

Edited by growalot

"Gentlemen, progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "Alright, you can have a telephone, but you lose privacy and the charm of distance." "Madam, you may vote, but at a price. You lose the right to retreat behind the powder-puff or your petticoat." "Mr., you may conquer the air, but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline." 

Henry Drummond ~ Inherit the Wind

Alexander Bell was met with opposition when he first invented the telephone.  People thought Elvis Presley and Rock and Roll was going to destroy society.  And now people are saying the same about the internet and cell phones.  Yet now kids in the United States can collaborate and share ideas with another kid living in Europe.  It's not all bad.  The only difference is that technology is changing so rapidly compare to decades ago that people are not given as much time to adjust to it.

I mean, we're here arguing about cellphones and other technologies yet, many of us are probably on our phones reading this thread and communicating with hunters that they would otherwise never ever communicate with without this technology.

As far as kids having cell phones.  My nieces have iPhones and my brother insists that they have the Find Friends feature installed and linked to his phone at all times otherwise their phone gets taken away.  Now my brother simply has to check his phone and he'll know exactly where they are at any time.  I'd say that's pretty useful tool.

• Like 3

re: Bell.

If you ever find yourself in Baddeck, NS (Canada's most beautiful province, btw) the Bell museum is a must. 

Bell settled in Baddeck for the last half of his life and started to tinker in planes (first manned flight in the commonwealth) and hydrofoils (world watercraft speed record). I believe his descendants still live in Beinn Bhreagh, his family home. 

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

Now my brother simply has to check his phone and he'll know exactly where they are at any time.  I'd say that's pretty useful tool.

Just my two cents..he should know where they are without the phone and they should be making sure they let him & mom know where they are going, who they are going with, and what time they expect to be home.

Comes under the heading of "common courtesy and respect for each other" and especially the parents

My issue is everything is about relying on a device these days, and not on self reliance. There's nothing wrong with using todays technology, but our youth are getting caught up in it. Especially outdoors people. "What happens if you get lost? Do you have a map and a compass?" , " |laugh| I have apps for that stuff!" , "What if the battery dies?" , 'Blank stare'.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ....rob said:

My issue is everything is about relying on a device these days, and not on self reliance. There's nothing wrong with using todays technology, but our youth are getting caught up in it. Especially outdoors people. "What happens if you get lost? Do you have a map and a compass?" , " |laugh| I have apps for that stuff!" , "What if the battery dies?" , 'Blank stare'.

Exactly       A question... any question is seldom answered without checking the phone. When they find the answer on the phone they shout it out like they are the smartest person in the world. No need to retain anything or learn anything because it is all in the palm of their hand.:sorry:

2 hours ago, ....rob said:

I have a "Pocket Juice" gadget that recharges the battery that I carry in my backpack . I have another one in the car in case I go somewhere and might need one . 

20 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I have a "Pocket Juice" gadget that recharges the battery that I carry in my backpack . I have another one in the car in case I go somewhere and might need one . 

What? No satellite phone just in case? I hear they are "the shiznit" for you youngsters if you can afford one. :rolleyes:

Just my two cents..he should know where they are without the phone and they should be making sure they let him & mom know where they are going, who they are going with, and what time they expect to be home.
Comes under the heading of "common courtesy and respect for each other" and especially the parents

Teenagers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

What if your job requires use of your phone? Youd be surprised how common that is now days.

That is one thing that hastened my retirement. I have no problem with working diligently during my regular working hours. Even worked way more than my share of overtime over the years (a lot of it unpaid). But when they started trying to wire me up around the clock (even at home), my corporate loyalty took a huge hit and I just flat out refused. That little glimpse into the future convinced me that it was time to get my retirement in process.

I have no complaints about technology, I simply do not take its worship to the level of theology as many do. When I see that guy drifting across the yellow line because he can't handle texting and driving at the same time, I am all of a sudden not that big of a fan. When I'm in a movie theater trying to watch the screen with a bunch of phone screens going on and off like Christmas tree lights, I do get a bit irritated with these people who can't draw a breath without telling someone about it. When my financial dealings and information, and indeed, even my own identity are at risk, I start to view technology with a more than a little suspicion. When I buy a new computer and find out that a dozen expensive pieces of software that I have been regularly using are now unusable because of a new operating system, I begin wondering if this isn't a planned-in cost of technology to separate me from as much of my money as possible. We all complain about growing taxes, but never seem to recognize the deeper dip into our pockets that corporations are taking in the name of progressing technology. When we see technology aiding in job exports because accrued experience and knowledge are being made worthless by ones and zeros it does make one wonder just what is the real cost of technology.

I know that I am speaking heresy to the worshippers of technology, but at some point it is interesting to stand up and get a better look at the social and financial cost of some of this craziness that is being blindly accepted simply in the name of technology. Take the good of it all, but understand there is always another side to all of this stuff whether we want to see it or not.

When the combustion engine was invented, all the horse carriage drivers said the same thing.  Especially during the early years when the automobile was introduced.  No safety belt, iron steering wheels, no power steering, actual glass for a windshield.  I'm sure early automobile drivers were getting killed left and right and people questioned if it was really worth it?  No paved roads, those first cars barely went faster than the horse carriage.  Now, nobody ever looked back and said the automobile ruined society.

Improvements of the automobile is more about changes in technology.  A better example would be when women entered the work force in large numbers as this example is more about changes society had to make to adjust.  After women entered the workforce, the latchkey kid was born.  Initially society didn't know how to deal with it.  Criminals started taking advantage of it.  Over time, society started realizing this and tons of after school programs were initialized.  Eventually, society figured out a way and not many people now complain about women being in the workforce.

My analogy is that when it comes to cell phones, we're in the early stages of the automobile.  We're at the stage when women started entering the work force but afterschool programs haven't been invented yet.

23 hours ago, Elmo said:

When the combustion engine was invented, all the horse carriage drivers said the same thing.  Especially during the early years when the automobile was introduced.  No safety belt, iron steering wheels, no power steering, actual glass for a windshield.  I'm sure early automobile drivers were getting killed left and right and people questioned if it was really worth it?  No paved roads, those first cars barely went faster than the horse carriage.  Now, nobody ever looked back and said the automobile ruined society.

Improvements of the automobile is more about changes in technology.  A better example would be when women entered the work force in large numbers as this example is more about changes society had to make to adjust.  After women entered the workforce, the latchkey kid was born.  Initially society didn't know how to deal with it.  Criminals started taking advantage of it.  Over time, society started realizing this and tons of after school programs were initialized.  Eventually, society figured out a way and not many people now complain about women being in the workforce.

My analogy is that when it comes to cell phones, we're in the early stages of the automobile.  We're at the stage when women started entering the work force but afterschool programs haven't been invented yet.

Ha-ha-ha ..... for the most part, the auto went where you pointed it. It did not cause you to lose your mind and drift over into other lanes of traffic, or drive off the road because you weren't able to walk and chew gum at the same time. The auto was a basic machine of transportation, and not a narcotic to recede and escape into as these cell phones have become. Comparing phones to cars is not what I would call a very good analogy. Sure, there may come a day when phones become something more than the current drug of choice, and there certainly are things about phones and their use that have done everything from streamlining business to actually saving lives. But just like the auto, the ability to be misused has changed their value in a whole lot of ways that definitely can be not so wonderful in a lot of cases.