buck guide lines

rock

Well for the first 13 years of bow hunting it was " it's brown it's down" till I got my first deer/ buck two years ago. It was a 5 pointer. Last year I wanted to get bigger horns till I had a doe come in to me at 6 yards. The doe was standing there licking and scratching for the longest time, till I aid to my self it was stupid enough to get that close it wanted to die. lol I got a 6 pointer the nest weekend, my biggest buck to date. This year will be a lot different I'm going to hold out for bigger horns during bow season.

I don't really go out with any specific score in mind. In fact I couldn't tell you the score of a buck if it was dead at my feet with a tape measure laying next to it.

I simply look at the buck and react as to what my impression of how big the buck looks to me. If he looks "big enough", and the shot opportunity looks reasonable, I'll go for him.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

shoot does if you need meat

think of it this way- base measurements for spread and mass in NY would be about 70"s....so tally up the points

8 pt - 4 pts- g2- 9 "ea, g3s 4" each 9x2+4x2=27+70 is a 97" 8pt deer

Hard to shoot does if you are a gun hunter only and don't have a tag where you hunt.

I hunt all 3 seasons SZ and have lots of opportunities and tags for does most years. Therefore I don't look to take younger bucks regardless of the rack or lack of it - but have no wish to tell others what is acceptable for them.  If I hunted where opportunities where rare, I'd look to put a deer in the freezer even if it was a 1 1/2 buck.

I've been going with 6pt or large...past on a bunch of 6pt buck last year to find they were ALL shot....it is just too close quarters to pass and have them make it.....Opening day a few years ago I passed on the one in the pic..during gun season...it was a rainy foggy morning and just shooting time...5 min later I hear Bang...neighbors across the street....we own around them like a U I found him 70yrds from where their blind is...in our creek one month later.....I hung is head to weather naturally as a reminder .....The person that shot him never even went to check and see if he had hit him...because he ran away not LOOKING hit... >:D ...last year I went buckless....so every year is a struggle

i have been getting alittle more picky in the past 2-3 years. ive seen the buck in my area and i know what is around, so i know there are really nice deer in my area... not that im a head hunter i just like to give some of the smaller deer a chance to grow. in the 120s to me is a very nice deer. anything in the 130 and up is a bonus obviously. if i dont take a decent buck during the season and do not get a chance to use my tag, no worries. i love taking does so i always have meat in the freezer. i love to just spend the time in my stand and get a chance to see some bucks i have cought on cam during the year and also see the bucks i havnt gotten a chance to see. Its fun eitherway.

How many on here have killed a 120" buck in NY? 

I know a couple guys who have killed 120" and bigger but for most guys to hold out  for a deer that size makes for some pretty lofty goals.  If you can hold out for a buck that big, good for you!