The Psychology Behind the Quest For Trophy Racks

Doc

1 hour ago, growalot said:

:rolleyes: I wouldn't except an invitation from you to do anything...but you hang in there. I love watching people show their true sides.

grow, you contribute a lot to many subjects to this site. Simple likes and quotes alone show you're alone on this one. You can't ask for hunter unity and then call out "young bucks" in the same thread. I also don't see anyone claiming to be anything they're not in this thread. A lot of very honest answers about why we horn hunt. So yes, true sides. Sides you just may disagree with.

• Like 2

Here's the thing about this thread, first off reading the OP and understanding what was asked was step one. On the opposite end of that question is "meat hunter" ( since now have broken it down to 2 classes of hunters) we can all figure out the psychology of that category. They like to eat deer. As far as trophy hunters go, I do categorize myself there. And as far as all the dedication and emotion upon success that goes into that way of hunting can be a thrill some may never get to feel. It would have been great for similar minded trophy hunters to explain there ways of hunting and why they do it,but it had to turn into a thread of jabs. It had to meat hunters are this and trophy hunters are that.

I really wish we could have stayed on topic and possibly open some minds to the possibilities involved with trophy hunting. Some just are OLD school and set in their ways. I myself enjoy what I do and how I do it. My enjoyment starts with just being in the woods. You all want to agree that that should be our foundation as hunters, right ? Just wanting to go hunting ! Well, for me I'm a trophy guy, and that means I may NOT get a buck all season.... Meaning I'm gonna spend alot of time in the great outdoors chasing whitetails. I am also after meat, but I keep that to the plethora of doe tags and pick and choose when and where, also meaning I am a "meat hunter".

The greatest experiances I have had have been simply because my dad was with me, not antler size or pounds of meat. Noone can ever try and convince me that anyway would have been more memorable, that is a fact.

I already explained the why in trophy hunting for me, but maybe some should go back and cut through the BS and re read those posts that weren't simply replies from a cornered situation.

It's a great way to hunt, and I love it ! Try and grasp the concept and not think I'm out to tell you that I'm right and your wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

In my case its all about the challenge. Most hunters all have that same feeling of love of the woods and gods great things, Thats A Givin!!!!  After 40 years of taking whitetails there is not much of a challenge anymore. When 99.9% of hunters wake up each morning to walk to that stand it is in hopes of killing the biggest beast in the woods.All the gear, the food plots, Trail Cams all for the same reason for most. Now many dont/cant do that so they end up settling for a lesser buck.

We still do our part in taking does and filling freezers but will never again take a smaller buck. Have plenty of them and not really hard to do and really not much of a "Hunt" per say. Now go out and find a couple 3-4-5 year old whitetails and do what you have trained yourself to do for all these years and lower the boom on one of them on their turf and their terms and you will get the real feel of "Hunting" for something.

Just dont expect that feeling to come around alot. I can hunt everyday of every season in a couple great deer parts of the state on 1000,s of acres of private and State property and i only get it about every 2-3 years.  Well worth the wait.

15 hours ago, stubby68 said:

Hunting is not a sport. A sport is a competition between people to prove who is best. A game. Taking a life. Even an animals life is not a game.

sport

Definition of sport

1. 1a :  a source of diversion :  recreationb :  sexual playc (1) :  physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) :  a particular activity (such as an athletic game) so engaged in

2. 2a :  pleasantry, jestb :  often mean-spirited jesting :  mockery, derision

3. 3a :  something tossed or driven about in or as if in playb :  laughingstock

4. 4a :  sportsmanb :  a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship a good sport a poor sportc :  a companionable person

5. 5 :  an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue

Well last night 9 bucks walked into the field. This guys was leading the parade and appeared to be the largest. I did my best with the cell phone camera through my spotting scope..lol

This 10 pointer got me excited. The smallest in the field were year old 6 pointers. 

Again, sorry for the sideways pic. I freaking hate posting pictures here 

2017 10.JPG

• Like 4

Many times I have said it's nice guys want to go after what ever deer they want and this whole thing left the realm of "Trophy " deer long ago. Your (General term) so very entrenched in showing just how nasty and belittling you can get towards those that don't totally agree with you that YOU can't see what your writing. I wouldn't want my child or now grand child coming into a forum and thinking this is the OK way to act around other hunters...I will not sit here and let the way your acting, the words your using towards other hunters for shooting a deer not up to your standards go unchecked. Now as far as young pups..anyone younger that me is a young pup...If you chose to take that as an insult so be it. You have shown through out this thread that people choosing to look at deer hunting differently than you as insulting, why should this be any different. "Young Pup " is used widely actually in literature, here just one link ...I'm a bit busy to show more right now

http://mit.whoi.edu/student-research?tid=1423&cid=22246

Belo I'm sorry you rate what your personal observations should be according to " likes "..I do not...lets see if I can say this one more time and have it stick...I do not give a rats puttuti. I also NEVER expect anyone on this site to "back" me up on the open forum. There are more than a few What I term " great white Hunters " here they are every where...you probably recall that expression...I use it for the hunting lease guy. Now that is a derogatory label, have no doubt about that. Most people give such guys a wide berth as far as challenging their egos,especially face to face...they prefer to talk about them out of ear shot...This is fact, years of observation...I ,well I actually enjoy drawing as much of those rank personalities out as possible and saying :..."look,look hard and do not become that "....I'm admittedly a bitch when it comes to that and I own it, because as you pointed out...too many sit by and allow them free reign... Now here is the title of this thread:

The Psychology Behind the Quest For Trophy Racks

Definition of psychology

plural

psychologies

1. 1 :  the science of mind and behavior

2. 2a :  the mental or behavioral characteristics of an individual or groupb :  the study of mind and behavior in relation to a particular field of knowledge or activity

30 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Well last night 9 bucks walked into the field. This guys was leading the parade and appeared to be the largest. I did my best with the cell phone camera through my spotting scope..lol

This 10 pointer got me excited. The smallest in the field were year old 6 pointers. 

Again, sorry for the sideways pic. I freaking hate posting pictures here 

2017 10.JPG

As he should!  Very nice buck to put on the hit list. Like how you said.. The 10 got you excited!  After so many years and so many deer it takes one of the.."Special" ones to get us excited. As it should be.  

FOLLOW US:

Is Hunting a Sport?

by  Lem James

Growing up in western Washington and Oregon, in our circles of family and friends, hunting meant several things. Hunting meant camaraderie, outdoorsmanship, and filling the freezer with meat for the year. It wasn’t until much later that I ever questioned the notion that hunting might be considered a sport. Although there are many aspects of sport in hunting and fishing, the classification of hunting as a sport leaves much to be desired.

Hunting and fishing have always been about putting food on the table. Only recently in our history have concepts such as voluntary restraint and catch and release become popular. It’s a great thing that they have. Along with the introduction of voluntary restraint laws, such as shooting only bucks or bulls, came the notion that hunting should be regulated like a sport such as football or golf.

This notion of sport has led to the misinformed view held by some individuals that hunters kill animals mostly for fun or trophies. This is a dangerous viewpoint that certainly puts hunting and fishing in a poor light. Outdoor sport enthusiasts should be quick to explain that without the element of providing meat, hunting would have no justification whatsoever.

The sporting elements of the hunt have derived largely from the desire of the hunting public to preserve the opportunity to hunt by not decimating game populations with overhunting. By this reasoning, sport regulations have improved the hunting and fishing world and conservationism by leaps and bounds in the past 100 to 200 years. In Theodore Roosevelt’s time, he expected elk to quickly follow the bison into extinction. By implementing sport regulations, hunters have not only saved the elk but allowed them to thrive.

In furtherance of this type of sporting view, organizations comprised of hunters have improved, conserved and saved large tracts of land that would otherwise have been lost to “progress.” Organizations such as Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Trout Unlimited and many others have set the highest bar for environmentalism. Hunting dollars have done more to improve and save animal habitat and endangered species than perhaps all laws and regulations.

Sporting regulations have been a great improvement to avoid the destruction of wildlife. To classify hunting and fishing as simply a sport is unfair and causes confusion. Without the meat being one of the goals of the hunter, hunting is not a viable activity. Our duty as hunters in this age of urbanization is to articulate the distinctions of our sport to non participants in a non offensive, convincing manner.

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

sport

Definition of sport

1. 1a :  a source of diversion :  recreationb :  sexual playc (1) :  physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) :  a particular activity (such as an athletic game) so engaged in

2. 2a :  pleasantry, jestb :  often mean-spirited jesting :  mockery, derision

3. 3a :  something tossed or driven about in or as if in playb :  laughingstock

4. 4a :  sportsmanb :  a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship a good sport a poor sportc :  a companionable person

5. 5 :  an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue

Read more at http://www.liveoutdoors.com/hunting/126815-the-q

3 hours ago, growalot said:

Now as far as young pups..anyone younger that me is a young pup...If you chose to take that as an insult so be it.

It's sort of how you used it. I've been pretty successful in my career and have always been the youngest guy in the executive board room. Someday that will change. However, sometimes the narrative is that because I'm younger than someone else that I somehow possess less knowledge or understanding. 

The same judgment is made against older pups in the reverse and I know it stings. That's the only heartburn I have when we using age as a measurement of knowledge. Experience yes. It doesn't mean you lack knowledge because you're older, but it all doesn't mean you're more knowledgeable because you're older. 

I don't really understand your first paragraph so I'm not sure how to respond. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

Maybe we can compromise grow.

Can you understand the title of the OP?
Can you admit that you are not hunting for big racked deer ?
Can you then admit that since you are not after big racks, that you have no personal experience with the matter ?
You hunt with a longbow because it's "tradition" or a challenge ?
Do you take and keep pics of any of your harvested deer ?
Do you find this forum to be a hunting "community" ?
Do you think senior citizens are all smarter or more knowledgeable on most topics than those in their 30's ?

Please, take the time to answer my questions and only my questions as I am going to jump off the specific topic and try and learn more about the PSYCHOLOGY you bring to the forum, and to the woods. Ty

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, chrisw said:

Stubby, I'm sure you've been asked this before but it still confuses me.... For a guy that gets zero emotion out of hunting, isn't excited by it, sees it as a chore to gather meat, doesn't aspire to target a specific age class or any other form of selection when it comes to deer, can't grasp why people show respect by hanging their racks to be admired or their pictures to stir memories... I'm struggling to understand why you are so avid on a public hunting forum. I know people who are non chalant about hunting, aren't thinking about it every day like most of us do, and I can tell you for certainty they wouldn't have any desire to join a hunting forum. And you seem to keep pictures of the bucks you kill, have shoulder mounts (that your dad did), remember aging specific bucks etc.... All of which adds up to even more inconsistencies in what you post? If they truly are "food, nothing more" then would you keep pictures of the farm raised cattle you eat? Or the chicken you raise and butcher (if you do or did?). Those things are truly "just food."

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What does having pics and other records of our hunts have to do with racks. The pics and records are of our experience not the decorations on our walks. I have records and pics if every deer I have killed and that everyone else in hunting party has. It is a journal my great grand father started. I have no mounts. Those are my fathers. I shot them but are his now. Even did a couple ,4 points. And yes have records of every animal we raised and butchered. Age weight, sex I can even tell u there names if my sister happened to give them one. Pigs,chickens,cows Turkey,and ducks. What does this have to do with racks?

What does having pics and other records of our hunts have to do with racks. The pics and records are of our experience not the decorations on our walks. I have records and pics if every deer I have killed and that everyone else in hunting party has. It is a journal my great grand father started. I have no mounts. Those are my fathers. I shot them but are his now. Even did a couple ,4 points. And yes have records of every animal we raised and butchered. Age weight, sex I can even tell u there names if my sister happened to give them one. Pigs,chickens,cows Turkey,and ducks. What does this have to do with racks?

Come on man, it's getting pretty hard for me to believe you. You keep records of every farm animal you've killed? For what purpose? What is so wrong with someone using a rack as a memory marker? You are really talking in circles here. Keeping a rack is the same as taking a picture? You keep something that reminds you of that moment. Wasn't it you that was guessing you've shot over 200 deer but wasn't sure? If you have a picture of every one then how are you unsure? And you say you have no mounts but I'm pretty sure you stated once before you do in fact own a couple of shoulder mounts but your father mounted them... If I could draw a straight line through your ideals it wouldn't matter what they were, unfortunately nothing seems straight forward with you.
My original question still stands.... For someone who gets no excitement or satisfaction from hunting and looks at it as gathering meat, someone who is against memorializing a deer they've taken, doesn't understand why it's exciting for anyone etc.....You come to the site with some pretty hard to believe things and act surprised you're being called out on it? WHY DID YOU SEEK OUT A HUNTING FORUM?

PS. You haven't killed 200 deer and never lost one. Period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stubby68 said:
FOLLOW US:

Is Hunting a Sport?

by  Lem James

Growing up in western Washington and Oregon, in our circles of family and friends, hunting meant several things. Hunting meant camaraderie, outdoorsmanship, and filling the freezer with meat for the year. It wasn’t until much later that I ever questioned the notion that hunting might be considered a sport. Although there are many aspects of sport in hunting and fishing, the classification of hunting as a sport leaves much to be desired.

Hunting and fishing have always been about putting food on the table. Only recently in our history have concepts such as voluntary restraint and catch and release become popular. It’s a great thing that they have. Along with the introduction of voluntary restraint laws, such as shooting only bucks or bulls, came the notion that hunting should be regulated like a sport such as football or golf.

This notion of sport has led to the misinformed view held by some individuals that hunters kill animals mostly for fun or trophies. This is a dangerous viewpoint that certainly puts hunting and fishing in a poor light. Outdoor sport enthusiasts should be quick to explain that without the element of providing meat, hunting would have no justification whatsoever.

The sporting elements of the hunt have derived largely from the desire of the hunting public to preserve the opportunity to hunt by not decimating game populations with overhunting. By this reasoning, sport regulations have improved the hunting and fishing world and conservationism by leaps and bounds in the past 100 to 200 years. In Theodore Roosevelt’s time, he expected elk to quickly follow the bison into extinction. By implementing sport regulations, hunters have not only saved the elk but allowed them to thrive.

In furtherance of this type of sporting view, organizations comprised of hunters have improved, conserved and saved large tracts of land that would otherwise have been lost to “progress.” Organizations such as Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Trout Unlimited and many others have set the highest bar for environmentalism. Hunting dollars have done more to improve and save animal habitat and endangered species than perhaps all laws and regulations.

Sporting regulations have been a great improvement to avoid the destruction of wildlife. To classify hunting and fishing as simply a sport is unfair and causes confusion. Without the meat being one of the goals of the hunter, hunting is not a viable activity. Our duty as hunters in this age of urbanization is to articulate the distinctions of our sport to non participants in a non offensive, convincing manner.

Read more at http://www.liveoutdoors.com/hunting/126815-the-q

Ill stick with the dictionary's definition of what the word sport mean over how some guy on liveoutdoors.com interprets it lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Do you think senior citizens are all smarter or more knowledgeable on most topics than those in their 30's ?

Well I am only going to speak for myself but when it comes to hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading and gun knowledge I know a hell of a lot more about each of these activities today at almost 69 years of age than I did at 39 years of age and I am still learning new stuff all the time and hope I keep on learning!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, growalot said:

Many times I have said it's nice guys want to go after what ever deer they want and this whole thing left the realm of "Trophy " deer long ago. Your (General term) so very entrenched in showing just how nasty and belittling you can get towards those that don't totally agree with you that YOU can't see what your writing. I wouldn't want my child or now grand child coming into a forum and thinking this is the OK way to act around other hunters...I will not sit here and let the way your acting, the words your using towards other hunters for shooting a deer not up to your standards go unchecked. Now as far as young pups..anyone younger that me is a young pup...If you chose to take that as an insult so be it. You have shown through out this thread that people choosing to look at deer hunting differently than you as insulting, why should this be any different. "Young Pup " is used widely actually in literature, here just one link ...I'm a bit busy to show more right now

http://mit.whoi.edu/student-research?tid=1423&cid=22246

Belo I'm sorry you rate what your personal observations should be according to " likes "..I do not...lets see if I can say this one more time and have it stick...I do not give a rats puttuti. I also NEVER expect anyone on this site to "back" me up on the open forum. There are more than a few What I term " great white Hunters " here they are every where...you probably recall that expression...I use it for the hunting lease guy. Now that is a derogatory label, have no doubt about that. Most people give such guys a wide berth as far as challenging their egos,especially face to face...they prefer to talk about them out of ear shot...This is fact, years of observation...I ,well I actually enjoy drawing as much of those rank personalities out as possible and saying :..."look,look hard and do not become that "....I'm admittedly a bitch when it comes to that and I own it, because as you pointed out...too many sit by and allow them free reign... Now here is the title of this thread:

Definition of psychology

plural

psychologies

1. 1 :  the science of mind and behavior

2. 2a :  the mental or behavioral characteristics of an individual or groupb :  the study of mind and behavior in relation to a particular field of knowledge or activity

My marriage is psychological........she's psycho and I'm logical.

• Like 3