Why a bow?

Doc

On 7/20/2017 at 8:08 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I am surprised by how many mention hunting deer before I they hide or get scared, not trying to derail the thread but do you guys really notice that much of a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Doc said:

What was it that lured you into bow hunting? What was the attraction?

The challenge of hunting with a primitive weapon. The bow I bought 43 years ago was a Bear Kodiak hunter.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 4:23 AM, Doc said:

It sounds like not very many people fell in love with the weapon itself as a hunting item, but were more interested in the additional hunting opportunities that a bow season provides. Is that a fair statement? As I recall, it wasn't that way when the bow season was originally conceived. The primary draw back then was the archery itself and the challenges that it provided.

more or less.  the less being my trad gear.  my compounds are tools that produce results, but almost all end up getting passed onto whoever knows me and wants to start bowhunting.  any trad bow i've had is held more dearly.  out of everything i enjoy shooting those the most despite i'm not as effective with them.  i won't refuse to hunt with anything else so i wouldn't say i love it, but it's darn close.

• Like 3

It sounds like not very many people fell in love with the weapon itself as a hunting item, but were more interested in the additional hunting opportunities that a bow season provides. Is that a fair statement? As I recall, it wasn't that way when the bow season was originally conceived. The primary draw back then was the archery itself and the challenges that it provided.

Im The exact opposite , started using shotgun to extend the season.

• Like 1

You make a good point and for me it started out when I was 14 it was about the bow. Then from ages of 21-35 it was about the hunt. Now I have 2 daughters and 1 really into archery it's back to being about the bow..

i used to do archery in a club when from age 10 to 13. Then i stopped,since i needed a more active hobby,all that youthful energy. I didn't start hunting until i was 39,with a gun. After two years of that I figured it was time to give archery a try. That was a good idea,now i dont want to hunt with anything but a bow. Gun season is a bit of a let down...

• Like 1

I Like hunting with guns too but gun season round my way is equivalent to net trawling for fishing. Too many hunters shooting in groups and pushing over small parcels. It is a frustrating time. I prefer to be finished by end of Bow season. Don't hit the woods much till late November again unless I don't need to.

Many years ago, Fred Bear coined the phrase, " Be a two season hunter". I guess I took him seriously because I do enjoy both kinds of hunting and really wouldn't want to give up either one. There really is nothing in common between bow season and gun season except you are trying to get a deer. The style and requirements are completely different but I find each one has its own unique challenges.