Impressed..

So last week i ordered an electric fence, mainly for next year but possibly the remainder of this year to protect my soybeans. My place of employment gives us up to 1000$ in gift cards each year to try and be healthy and just take surveys etc.. its great! Win win! So a week or so before I came across that fence online, someone had mention to hang pie tins around the plot to help keep deer out. As the glamour and shine of these beautiful pieces of tin would be too much for the eye of the deer, as well as the sound of the tins clashing together or something. I know I sound crazy but i'm into cheap ways to keep deer out of my plots.. Anyways i checked the beans yesterday and they have totally exploded with growth. Before hanging them the deer kept them nibbled down to about 6-12" range. They are now pushing the 2ft mark after hanging these tins up. I'm impressed for a purchase of less than 20$ , i do not have deer wiping my soybeans out not. "Knock on Wood" .. Makes me second guess the fence purchase now if that is all it takes lol Just thought id offer this experiment to you all. It might not look real pretty but until the bean pods are developed they stay protected..

Don't bash me too bad now!! lol 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

So last week i ordered an electric fence, mainly for next year but possibly the remainder of this year to protect my soybeans. My place of employment gives us up to 1000$ in gift cards each year to try and be healthy and just take surveys etc.. its great! Win win! So a week or so before I came across that fence online, someone had mention to hang pie tins around the plot to help keep deer out. As the glamour and shine of these beautiful pieces of tin would be too much for the eye of the deer, as well as the sound of the tins clashing together or something. I know I sound crazy but i'm into cheap ways to keep deer out of my plots.. Anyways i checked the beans yesterday and they have totally exploded with growth. Before hanging them the deer kept them nibbled down to about 6-12" range. They are now pushing the 2ft mark after hanging these tins up. I'm impressed for a purchase of less than 20$ , i do not have deer wiping my soybeans out not. "Knock on Wood" .. Makes me second guess the fence purchase now if that is all it takes lol Just thought id offer this experiment to you all. It might not look real pretty but until the bean pods are developed they stay protected..

Don't bash me too bad now!! lol 

Can we get a picture on how you set that up around the perimeter of the plot?  May come in use for my future Brassica plots.

• Like 1

Sister had some luck using tin foil strips on fishing line keeping deer out of her hostas She had tried everything up until that : human hair from barber shop , hot pepper spray , coyote urine and automatic sprinklers : all failing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So just curious, but by deterring the deer now, are you also preventing the pattern that you hope to have to kill deer or is the idea that they will revert to a more normal patter when you pull the tins come early season (or perhaps this is intended to be a late season plot)?  Glad to hear that $20 covered it.

• Like 1

Used it for years in the garden before andafter the fence. The fence was just a steeple jump for them so I added etra poles to.the existing ones for height then two lines of wire. I tied tins to catch the bottom wire and alternated them to either side of wire. This catches the wind from all sides.

Now I use Milorginite to save  plot sprouts and diluted deer barrier sprayed around the out side edges on taller plants.

• Like 1

So just curious, but by deterring the deer now, are you also preventing the pattern that you hope to have to kill deer or is the idea that they will revert to a more normal patter when you pull the tins come early season (or perhaps this is intended to be a late season plot)?  Glad to hear that $20 covered it.

This plot is setup for late season. It's like a safe haven for them it seems, every year even in the middle of the day they are feeding here not too far from prime bedding.

But as soon as pods are developing I will pull these down. It shouldn't bother them much. There's fresh sign all over still.. I have food for them on my piece every year. The deer with a few years under their belts know where to get some grub lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Can we get a picture on how you set that up around the perimeter of the plot?  May come in use for my future Brassica plots.

When I'm there next I will take a couple pics. I would just hang two on a branch I could reach, and pound a couple stake son the interior and hang one or 2 off each stake about 2ft high atleast. Just so they'd catch the breeze.

I'll sacrifice the summer patterns, to gain the later season pull... hopefully anyways lol. If not lesson learned and I'll stick with my fence

They will start to hit the field as soon as the fence comes down. Research has shown that they will be in that field the very first night the fence is down. It's a great way to make sure your beans or other crops have a chance to mature instead of being whipped out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The issue i have is that my brassica plots get hammered down to dirt and never getting a fighting chance to reach maturity. And these are nice size plots. Some say deer will not touch brassicas till first frost, not my case. They get eaten as soon as they grow. These pie plates would be a nicer (cheaper), less labor intensive to an electric fence.  May have to try that come next late spring.

Tons, miles of corn fields not too far off on other farms , hay fields galore and several white ladino  clover plots on my property. All within a couple mile radius.

How big is your brassica plot? If mine are under a 1/2 acre and near good whitetail cover they get wiped out

NYBH try planting grains then when they just sprout, over seed that with the turnips...I just got back from over seeding my plotspike /alfalfa/oats and the clover plots...I even threw some in on the hay field plot that is a mat of Persian flower weed...Though the mowing I did on that helped the clovers exploded after it and the grasses are struggling...As long as it feeds something this year. The middle plots will be grain turnips.

Edited by growalot

16 minutes ago, growalot said:

NYBH try planting grains then when they just sprout, over seed that with the turnips...I just got back from over seeding my plotspike /alfalfa/oats and the clover plots...I even threw some in on the hay field plot that is a mat of Persian flower weed...Though the mowing I did on that helped the clovers exploded after it and the grasses are struggling...As long as it feeds something this year. The middle plots will be grain turnips.

Yeah i may try that, adding a grain with brassica. Everytime i tried Brassica with clover mix, the Brassicas got hammered.

Yea if you get wiped out in old suggest something g like grow suggested or planting some blends. Several brassicas maybe with a couple annual clovers and a grain. But hopefully pie tins work for you. Yo

Have a neighbor who used to put a radio in her garden playing country music 24x7. No fencing. She always got a nice harvest. Until a few years ago, then the deer wised up or something and it stopped working for her. 

Has anyone tried those motion activated witch dolls they sell around Halloween time that let off a cackle or scream when you get close?

• Like 2

I used construction safety lights a few years the blinking orange ones set up on the edges...worked for a while then they got use to the blinking. Drove the neighbors nuts for a while...I kept getting calls about lights out in my field...LOL..I actually kept the spotters away...

Edited by growalot