All Day Sits

nybuckboy

I try to do a few starting around Halloween. If for some reason I can't sit all day I will do a 3/4 day sit making sure that I'm on point from 10-2. If I'm in from daybreak, I'll stay in until 2pm. If I need to sleep in, I'll make sure I'm in by 10am and sit until dark. some of my best hunts have been between 10-2 when my buddies were out to lunch. 

I used to do them often when I was younger and more dedicated to maximizing my opportunities by spending more time afield, but not so much anymore.

Now I prefer to hunt the "prime times" when I know I'll have the opportunity to see multiple deer any given sit, in a short period of time, while also minimizing my impact.

I noticed I would get lazy and remain on stand all day even when the conditions changed for the worst. I burned out a lot of really great spots that way letting my scent waft around in the breeze when deer weren't even on their feet yet, therefor seeing fewer and fewer deer each sit. The times I would get up to change locations mid hunt I found myself bumping into, and educating more deer than I hoped, no matter how strategically I planned my movements to my next stand.

Now days, I'm happy whenever I can get 3-4 hours in the AM, and the last two hours in the evenings.

• Like 1

I have only done a few, and those were all on opening day of gun season. And i probably will continue that for as long as my neighbors are out and about doing what they do. Otherwise i will try and pick best time per day, per weather, per rut phase etc.. 

I put a camera last year for the first time ever in one of my favorite spots and left it all season. After checking the card at the end of the season for the first time.. I will be sitting some midday sits like 9am-3pm or even til dark when the rut is on.. I was amazed by all the mid day buck traffic.. more good bucks than younger ones too..

i only did a few all day sits last year,but plan on doing some this year to scout areas a little better. I lost hunting opportunity on 115 acres down the road from me,so i will concentrate on my 32 acres and my friends 300. Both have areas that need more exploring,so i will get my climber out and set up in areas with a long field of vision to see what the deer are up to. Saw a lot of young bucks last year,so i am very interested to see if they stuck around and what they look like now. 

Definetly going to do one or two all day sits early November. 

If conditions change I will move,and sometimes I will move mid-day for a change of scenery.

I don't really do all day sits but I'm usually out in the woods all day. Take me anywhere from 1:15 min to 2 hours to get the my spots so I will usually sit dark-11/12 and then sit from 1-dark. Sometimes I'll switch spots and sometimes I won't. It really depends on what my cams are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can count all day sits on my fingers and toes. All day hunts? Many. I get antsy. So I get up and still hunt. If the deer aren't coming to me I feel the need to go to them.

Nowadays, seeing my back doesn't like me anymore, sitting or even still hinting all day rarely works out.

Opening day of gun season is an all-day sit. I just sit there staring off into space, drinking coffee, and munching down sandwiches. My luck during gun season relies on a major escape route, which depends on hunter movement. And that movement can come at anytime during the day. The rest of the gun season is all still hunting for as long as my old legs can take it.
Bow season is generally a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon on stand. I try not to make it a test of endurance.

That tactic used to work to sit all day during gun season opener but now everyone has the same idea and it's just a bunch of hunters sitting.

Play the wind now to your advantage if you know where other hunters will be going in. There are so many people out there hunting who don't go to the extreme for scent control and that can help you. I let it help me. Too many "casual hunters" who don't take it to the next level stinking up to woods and making way too much noise that haven't done their homework all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk