Best Venison Burgers!

This last season made the best venison burgers yet.  Bought a 3lb pack of bacon pieces and ends at the Walmart and ground that in with 10lbs of venison.  Added in some just basic hamburg seasoning with onion powder, garlic powder, pepper....  wow are they ever good and juicy!  Throw some monterey jack on and pretty much the best thing ever...  Anyone else have some good ideas for venison mixes?  Also very set on breakfast sausage (get a container of sage breakfast sausage spices from the Amish store) and Venison jalepeno brats! ( again - onion and pepper sausage spices from the amish store, diced jalepenos, green tabasco, 1/4 of a beer)  But for the sausages - I mix 4 lbs of ground pork to 6 lbs of venison.  And buy natural cases for the Brats! 

Just those burgers were so good this weekend! Hit the spot. 

• Like 3

We go simple here for a great burger. Defrost venison , make patties , dash of worcheshire , sprinkle of salt and pepper.
I've stuffed with bacon pieces , chunks of cheddar cheese.
Also made stuffed banana peppers and stuffed burgers with minced peppers. Venison burger with bacon jam , slices of bacon and goat cheese pretty tasty too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This last season made the best venison burgers yet.  Bought a 3lb pack of bacon pieces and ends at the Walmart and ground that in with 10lbs of venison.  Added in some just basic hamburg seasoning with onion powder, garlic powder, pepper....  wow are they ever good and juicy!  Throw some monterey jack on and pretty much the best thing ever...  Anyone else have some good ideas for venison mixes?  Also very set on breakfast sausage (get a container of sage breakfast sausage spices from the Amish store) and Venison jalepeno brats! ( again - onion and pepper sausage spices from the amish store, diced jalepenos, green tabasco, 1/4 of a beer)  But for the sausages - I mix 4 lbs of ground pork to 6 lbs of venison.  And buy natural cases for the Brats! 

Just those burgers were so good this weekend! Hit the spot. 

We make the same ratio bacon venison burgers.  Kids love them.  

we vacuum seal everything. What we have found with our burgers and Italian sausage is we put in 1 pound  to a pound and a quarter   in an 11" x 11" vacuum bag (add length for the length of the seal) Seal it and then press flat in a square. ends up about a half inch thick. mix in whatever seasonings you want before mixing and sealing. we partial thaw, which happens fast and cut into 4 squares. on the grill. this actually helps especially if you don't want to add fat to the venison , they can get crumbly that way but this method helps them hold together becasue the outside sears before the inside is totally thawed. 

Bacon Jam on them sounds great - I make that as well for French toast , but bet it would be good on the burgers too!  great idea - will try it.  

And def love the vaccuum sealer!!!  I usually make the burgers ahead and then put a peice of tin foil in between the patties.  Then put them on  a cookie sheet in the freezer for a couple of hours before sealing them, that way they retain the shape. 

I don't add anything to my ground venison except a little salt and pepper after cooking.  I want the pure unmolested taste of venison. Key is not to overcook, or you might as well try eating a hockey puck.  And no... I don't have any issues with my burgers falling apart. 

Now I need to go thaw out some venison burger.   I'm getting hungry. 

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry.. bacon and ground venison isn't venison burger.  It's venison with bacon.  I make a "hunter" steak. Which is a venison steak with bacon wrapped around it, and then run through a cuber. 

Venison burger is just as it sounds. 100% ground venison. Now before someone says it will fall apart in the fry pan or grill, bull crap.... I've cooked thousands of 100% VB on the grill over the yrs. NEVER had one fall apart.  

Now if u like venison mixed with beef fat or meat, great.. I do too, but there NOT venison burgers. IMHO.   The only true venison burger is a 100% ground venison.  Sooooo goooood.  When you taste only venison, that's a venison burger.  

I'm sorry.. bacon and ground venison isn't venison burger.  It's venison with bacon.  I make a "hunter" steak. Which is a venison steak with bacon wrapped around it, and then run through a cuber. 

Venison burger is just as it sounds. 100% ground venison. Now before someone says it will fall apart in the fry pan or grill, bull crap.... I've cooked thousands of 100% VB on the grill over the yrs. NEVER had one fall apart.  

Now if u like venison mixed with beef fat or meat, great.. I do too, but there NOT venison burgers. IMHO.   The only true venison burger is a 100% ground venison.  Sooooo goooood.  When you taste only venison, that's a venison burger.  

Wait-ZERO fat added? I would think it would be really dry and not overly appealing. Since you have cooked thousands I will take your word for it that they don’t fall apart, but it does make me curious about your method. How fine is the ground? How big are the burgers? Thick? Thin? Cooked partially frozen? I’m always up for new techniques

11 hours ago, mowin said:

I would gladly try one of your true venison burgers for comparison. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

Wait-ZERO fat added? I would think it would be really dry and not overly appealing. Since you have cooked thousands I will take your word for it that they don’t fall apart, but it does make me curious about your method. How fine is the ground? How big are the burgers? Thick? Thin? Cooked partially frozen? I’m always up for new techniques

Normal grind. Patties are a uniform thickness probably 1/4 lb. I do have a hollymatic patty machine that we've used for yrs to make our patties, got a 1/4 & a 1/3 lb mold plate for it. But for the past few yrs I package my burger in bulk and make my patties by hand. 

They are very juicy, as long as you don't over cook em.  

When I make venison burgers, they are almost 100 % pure venison.  I do mix in a raw egg before forming it into patty's.  That helps keep it from falling apart on the grill.  I also form the patties and keep them in the fridge a while before grilling, which also seems to help hold them together.   The most important thing is to not cook them past medium-rare.   The burgers are always pretty good, but most our grind always goes into tacos, spaghetti/lazagna/goulash meat sauce, stuffed cabbage or peppers, and chili.   Not only is it much better for you than beef in those dishes, but it also tastes as good or better.   My wife and girls are somewhat spoiled by it.  Just the site of the grease rolling off ground beef in a frying pan at grandma's house makes them sick, and they almost push me out into the woods until our freezer is adequately stocked with "healther" alternatives.