Another Kick in the nutz

Northsox65

About 10 years ago my Wife and her mother got into a scuff, and somehow I was asked not to hunt her Prime 40 ac of deer heaven. Since then I Hunted Land Owned by Cornell University, I scouted many years and found the perfect spot and harvested many deer. Now this year Cornell has closed almost all their hunting land because of lack of Funding, (baloney I say) so here I am 85 days from Opening day in the southern tier starting from scratch. There are other places to hunt in my local area, King Ferry Co-op, Hammond Hill state park, Yellow Barn State park, and if all fails I can hunt Connecticut Hill. I keep saying to myself that this might be a blessing in disguise and I might find a spot that is so saturated in deer that I might limit out opening day.

I'm curious, what funding is required to allow hunters to hunt university lands? Is this a beef with the sate or one with the DEC?

If they get state money did Coumo fund his free NYS fair for hunters scheme by taking certain funding from colleges that allow hunting and had state funds given earmarked just for that?

Edited by growalot

On 8/25/2017 at 11:29 AM, Northsox65 said:

About 10 years ago my Wife and her mother got into a scuff, and somehow I was asked not to hunt her Prime 40 ac of deer heaven. Since then I Hunted Land Owned by Cornell University, I scouted many years and found the perfect spot and harvested many deer. Now this year Cornell has closed almost all their hunting land because of lack of Funding, (baloney I say) so here I am 85 days from Opening day in the southern tier starting from scratch. There are other places to hunt in my local area, King Ferry Co-op, Hammond Hill state park, Yellow Barn State park, and if all fails I can hunt Connecticut Hill. I keep saying to myself that this might be a blessing in disguise and I might find a spot that is so saturated in deer that I might limit out opening day.

Time for a new Mother-in-Law ?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, mowin said:

Funding my ass. Anti hunter on the board prob got it shut down.

Curious, did your wife ask you not to hunt her mom's land, or did the MIL tell you to stay away?

The Mother in law told me that she was allowing her other son in law to hunt the property this year, however when I called him about it he had no idea what I was talking about. Even though over the years we have let this pass I still will never forgive her and my pride wont let me go back to ever ask her again.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

have the wife and mom made up? maybe water under the bridge? 

They made up like a year later, but the fact that she told me  and my son, Her Grandson that we couldn't hunt because of their Drama really hurt. You see my son and I are the only ones who live near the Farm and we are there anytime they need wood cut, split, stacked, hay bailed, fences fixed, tractors fixed, and so on, and on,

5 hours ago, Northsox65 said:

The Mother in law told me that she was allowing her other son in law to hunt the property this year, however when I called him about it he had no idea what I was talking about. Even though over the years we have let this pass I still will never forgive her and my pride wont let me go back to ever ask her again.

Can't say I blame you.  Dealing with family is definitely a challenge. 

20 hours ago, Northsox65 said:

They made up like a year later, but the fact that she told me  and my son, Her Grandson that we couldn't hunt because of their Drama really hurt. You see my son and I are the only ones who live near the Farm and we are there anytime they need wood cut, split, stacked, hay bailed, fences fixed, tractors fixed, and so on, and on,

well seems like enough time has passed and with your recent development, why not reach back out? I guess I don't see the downside? Assuming your boy is older and you MOL can see the value of the bonding time and maybe some meat for her? Is it the fear of denial again?

I'd say suck it up and ask... may improve family relations as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you say this could be a blessing in disguise. Last year I got kicked off the land ive hunted since I was 16 years old. The land was a part of property that belonged to a house that was abandoned for years. The dude bought the house and all the land that went with it and I found out when he took my trail camera off the tree I had it on and replaced it with a posted sign with his name and phone number. (He did give my camera back) Anyways, this forced me to start looking for new land, and last year, although I didn't get a harvest, I saw more bucks than I have ever seen in a year in my new spot , and this year I have beauty 10 point there ( which also may be a deer I missed with the bow last year). Very exciting! sometimes change is not a bad thing. The best thing about this land I found is that it is state land , nestled in what you wouldn't really go searching for a hunting area, and I kind of found it by accident, So I have it all to myself, whereas my other land I hunted I was always competing with several other hunters.  So anyways, keep looking , find beautiful property and ask permission if you have to. Good luck!

• Like 2

Funny you say this could be a blessing in disguise. Last year I got kicked off the land ive hunted since I was 16 years old. The land was a part of property that belonged to a house that was abandoned for years. The dude bought the house and all the land that went with it and I found out when he took my trail camera off the tree I had it on and replaced it with a posted sign with his name and phone number. (He did give my camera back) Anyways, this forced me to start looking for new land, and last year, although I didn't get a harvest, I saw more bucks than I have ever seen in a year in my new spot , and this year I have beauty 10 point there ( which also may be a deer I missed with the bow last year). Very exciting! sometimes change is not a bad thing. The best thing about this land I found is that it is state land , nestled in what you wouldn't really go searching for a hunting area, and I kind of found it by accident, So I have it all to myself, whereas my other land I hunted I was always competing with several other hunters.  So anyways, keep looking , find beautiful property and ask permission if you have to. Good luck!
Where did you say it was again? Lol

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Well, just an update, Last Sunday I went and drove around Yellow Barn State Park and Hammond Hill State Park. Both look Promising, Hopefully I can find a nice spot to hang a tree stand far off the beaten path where it wont get stolen. I want to start scouting however there is still a lot of green and still looks pretty thick in the woods. 

29 minutes ago, Northsox65 said:

Well, just an update, Last Sunday I went and drove around Yellow Barn State Park and Hammond Hill State Park. Both look Promising, Hopefully I can find a nice spot to hang a tree stand far off the beaten path where it wont get stolen. I want to start scouting however there is still a lot of green and still looks pretty thick in the woods. 

climbers are pretty good for state land.