2 more mounts to go to camp.

reeltime

21 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

And you gotta tell the reason

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

its a long story,  shot was 275 yards. 30-06 150 gr. sp federal.   the bullet hit right on the right front shoulder and completely fragmented, smashed the shoulder blade but not a single piece of the bullet entered the chest cavity.

the deer bled an amount I have never seen from a deer.  I know that people exaggerate blood loss but I was pouring table spoons of blood out of leaves.  

I had to leave the track about 630 pm when my phone died thus rendering me without a light. by the time I got to the house Judy was ready to call in a missing hunter to 911.

grabbed a bite to eat, loaded up 3 led lights with new batteries. and back on the track, I didn't know that as I was walking back to my waypoint and where I marked the last pool of blood this deer let me walk 5 feet from him.

about 930 pm I jumped him again and watched as he ran into an extremely thick ravine,  as I walked up to where he ran into( he had let me get close a few times and I still had no idea where the bullet hit him but knew I had muscle blood and a little bit of artery blood)

I was about 6 feet from the brush and heard something and shined the light up and there he was standing just like the pose except every hair on his body was bristled up and his ears were back way more than mike could make them. 

I remember thinking....this is not good... the next thing I remember is being in the air and back against a tree as he hit me mid body antlers first.  I hit the ground, the light was gone from my hand and holy crap my left arm feels like its broken. 

with a small amount of moon light I can see him about 20 feet away head down facing me,  it all seemed so surreal but I remember thinking get OFF the ground do NOT let him get you on the ground or he will run those antlers through you.  Unbelievable he charges at me and shear instinct I grabbed for his antlers and somehow managed to grab both main beams, all I kept thinking was do NOT let go of these antlers! 

he is pushing me backwards ( its amazing what goes through your mind at times) I am trying to push his head down more so I was less likely to get knocked down. Well he had enough of that and yanked his head up which promptly threw me over his back and I am still thinking don't let go of the antlers!! I dont think you could of got my hands loose with the jaws of life! 

so I still have ahold of the antlers although now at a very awkward grip when he starts shaking his head,  now to give an idea here I am 6' 180lbs,  all I can say is I had to look like a toy in a dogs mouth! my feet were not even on the ground and he was just thrashing me in the brush.!  by now I am convinced this deer is fully intent on killing me, and do not ever think that the do NOT know that those antlers are a weapon.

I could not believe this was happening and thinking nobody knows where i am so someone will find the blood trail and I will be laying there.  instinct kicked in and finally got him subdued and with the aid of my gutting knife it was over.

now my paramedic training kicks in, now I have never been stabbed so don't know what it feels like but I know my stomach hurts where he initially hit me and my left arm is numb but that is not a concern until I see if I have been gored.  after checking I find bruises but no penetrations.  now to the arm, I slide my right hand inside my sweatshirt and feel a stinging bring my hand out and its covered in blood.... I knew it wasn't a compound fracture as I would not of been able to hold on. I finally took a selfie of the back of my arm and was missing a a chunk of meat and severely bruised.

finally got ahold of judy cause I was not sure how bad I was hurt, adrenaline still flowing but I had done a good assessment,  I tagged the deer, gutted him and started to try and drag him,  Judy had called a buddy of mine whos a deputy and now my phone is getting blown up.  they just don't understand I am fine just trying to get the deer out. 

finally get to a road and have judy bring the truck, all we could do to get the deer in the truck.  get it back to the house, I hop outa the truck, drop the gate and reach for the deer and judy says you get in the house we need to see how bad your hurt. it was 11:30pm.

What I didn't know was I was covered in blood,,, mostly mine,,  I had a big scrape behind my right ear, another one on the left side of my neck,  the right side of my face was bruised from my ear to chin along my lower jaw.  my left tricep had a chunk of meat out of it, swollen and a purple so deep it almost looked black. a bruise on each side of my belly button about 9" apart.  had cuts all over my hands and forearms.

I don't bruise easy, never have. the next morning I was surprised that I didn't hurt more. normal day,,,,,,the next morning,,, holy crap what truck hit me!!!  and holy cow who beat me with a pool cue stick.. I was covered with bruises, legs, arms, stomach. back, neck.... Judy was NOT impressed!

So, the right shoulder was broken and the brachial artery severed, you could fold the right leg over his back...  he went as far as he was going and then decided to stand and fight.

I will never ever doubt the power of a whitetail deer!

they DO know what those antlers are for!

he did all that on 3 legs, had he had 4 good legs I would of been in serious trouble!

I will NEVER track another deer without a weapon!  I have tracked probably several hundred deer in my life and never seen nor heard of anything like this.

• Like 10

crazy story.  deer are definitely tough as nails and have power behind them.  some bucks i've shot would have me like a tree'd bear cub whining away.  you've got more wits than i.  hind hooves are probably worse than the antlers that close.

Jesus, what a story! A deer is an amazing animal!

A few years ago my old man shot a 3yr old 4pt with the bow and it was a very long tracking job and I was the first to find him. Dad was probably 20 yds behind me and he was laying in a bush. I grabbed a hold of his rack and he came back to life standing up on his hind legs with me hanging on for "deer" life. I was able to throw him on the ground backwards and he didn't have anything left in the tank so after another shot he was gone shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is better than most of the "this happened to me" in Outdoor Life magazine.  I have never had a tussle with a buck.  I always make sure their eye is open and stick the muzzle of my loaded gun (safety off) in it before gutting them after hearing of an incident that my uncle suffered.  He had knocked down the biggest buck he ever saw with his slug gun.  He laid the gun down against a tree.  As he approached it with just his knife, it got up and ran away, never to be seen again.    

I can vouch for the danger of the rear hoofs however.   I got nailed in the lower leg with one of those from a big doe that I found lying (eyes shut) along the road after it had been struck by a car.   I did not know how fresh it was, so I was just going to cut off her tail (for making jugs) with my razor-sharp, 1-1/4" long pocket knife.   The closed eyes should have been a tip-off, for she turned out to be much fresher than I imagined.  Lifting that tail was like turning the crank of an old tractor, and that doe jumped right up as if woken suddenly from a sound sleep.  I hopped on her back, got her in a half-nelson with my left arm, and slit her throat with the little knife in my right hand.  She let me have it in the leg with that hoof as I was bucked off of her back.  

After she flopped around for a while and bled out, I tossed her into the bed of my pickup and drove up to the town police barracks.  The desk officer had taken a call earlier about the "dead" deer.  As I stood there, covered in her blood, and maybe a little of mine, he looked up and asked me "did the deer have to be shot ?"  I replied: "I killed her with my knife" .  He said "that would be no", and filled out a carcass tag for me.   I took that one to a proccesser who remarked that he had never processed a deer with absolutely no meat damage.  She must have rammed the side of a car, knocking herself out, but sustaining no other damage.   My leg was badly bruised and sore for a week or so after the incident.   Now I carry a pocket knife with the secondary blade ground down to 1" just to see if I can break my previous record for the smallest weapon used on a deer kill.  How big was your knife ?  

Edited by wolc123
add quote