First bear...

mowin

Buddy in Maine set up a couple baits for him and his boys. 

His oldest, Michael, got his first bear yesterday evening. 285# boar.  

Michael is going to college and warden school, and just received his guides license last week.  

26627.jpeg

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, Belo said:

awesome. really wish we could bait bears in ny. seems it's allowed everywhere else and all i ever see them killed.

Baiting and hounding are fairly common in the other northeastern states and Canadian provinces.  And given the terrain and dense forests that exists in these regions, such methods make sense in my opinion.  

The DEC said in an earlier study that they were actually re-evaluating those hunting methods as a means of increasing bear hunter participation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Padre86 said:

Baiting and hounding are fairly common in the other northeastern states and Canadian provinces.  And given the terrain and dense forests that exists in these regions, such methods make sense in my opinion.  

The DEC said in an earlier study that they were actually re-evaluating those hunting methods as a means of increasing bear hunter participation.

good to hear. I'll be picking up some "scents and lures" to try for now.

13 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Nice bear! And he did it with a savage model 99! One of the best firearms of years past. And idea what chambering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300 Savage. It was his great grandfathers gun. 

• Like 4

we went on a bear hunt last year for early bear - no luck of course- but my buddy was gonna bring his 300 savage.  Opened the case and there was an old .22. LOL brought the wrong gun.  So he carried his pistol and sat close to us!  my other buddy was nice enough to sharpen a stick for him to use just in case.  Wow did we laugh, prob scared the bears away! 

We are going this fall as well and hope to check out his 300 this year. 

we went on a bear hunt last year for early bear - no luck of course- but my buddy was gonna bring his 300 savage.  Opened the case and there was an old .22. LOL brought the wrong gun.  So he carried his pistol and sat close to us!  my other buddy was nice enough to sharpen a stick for him to use just in case.  Wow did we laugh, prob scared the bears away! 
We are going this fall as well and hope to check out his 300 this year. 
Thinking someone else might want to assist him this time on the gear checklist

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1