Need a deer deterrent!

I had a plot that was looking great about half an acre in a hay field. Well the deer found it in the last couple days and what was knee high is now like a putting green. I know there was a discussion about this not long ago but what can I do to keep them out of it on the cheap? I just want to give it a couple weeks to grow.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember let em Grow putting up tinfoil pie pans on string I believe. 

Heres one for you. Brother kept hearing talking out back on neighbors property. At all times , early am , night , always talking. He finally asked neighbor about it.  Neighbor has plot that was getting crushed by deer. He has a small cheap radio in a plastic bag playing a talk show station. Lol. Music didn't work but deer haven't been in plot since playing talk show. 

• Like 1

I could keep them out of the pumpkin patches pretty good by putting in "t" posts, about 40 ft apart, all the way around.  Run a strand of 20 lb test mono up about 15" and a second at 30".   Tie some white ribbon at a few locations  on each strand.  That will show you at a great distance if a strand has been broken and it will show the deer where to avoid the area where those invisible "ghosts" push them at night.  Their eyes are not good enough to see the line, and it spooks them when they bumble into it.   

I would always replace the line on my salmon reels every year anyhow, so this was "free".   I also had a bunch of t posts, a small pile-driver for putting in the posts (you can also push them in with a tractor bucket loader), and one of those cheap Harbor-freight jacks for pulling them out.  Labor and time was minimal and cost was nothing.    

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I could keep them out of the pumpkin patches pretty good by putting in "t" posts, about 40 ft apart, all the way around.  Run a strand of 20 lb test mono up about 15" and a second at 30".   Tie some white ribbon at a few locations  on each strand.  That will show you at a great distance if a strand has been broken and it will show the deer where to avoid the area where those invisible "ghosts" push them at night.  Their eyes are not good enough to see the line, and it spooks them when they bumble into it.   
I would always replace the line on my salmon reels every year anyhow, so this was "free".   I also had a bunch of t posts, a small pile-driver for putting in the posts (you can also push them in with a tractor bucket loader), and one of those cheap Harbor-freight jacks for pulling them out.  Labor and time was minimal and cost was nothing.    

That is a great idea! I have a ton of old line! I think I will do this and tie some rags onto it and spray some of the deterrent I just picked up at TSC on the rags as well.

Pie tins worked for a few weeks, then the doe families got brave and it didnt bother them, but not 1 single buck to be seen all summer. It did give the beans enough time to grow and put pods on.. Took the tins down a couple weeks ago and now every doe and buck on the hill it seems is annihilating them! I bought a 150$ electric fence for next year. 

I also thought of making what looks like a hot zone fence. Single strand of rope or wire on the outside about 18-24 high. then the interior fence about 2 ft away have one at 10" and another at 30-36" high. Ive heard just the deception of the 2 is enough to through off a whitetail..

21 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Thanks for the idea's everyone. Let's hope his works! I did this small plot and the big plot. 60972201609de60417757f5c9b60c2d3.jpg

That worked very well for me for quite a few years, up until the summer that a little doe fawn took up full time residence in the row of spruce trees between our yard and the pumpkin patch.   Her mother must have got hit by a car or something, before she learned to fear people and went nocturnal like they usually do.  She would walk right up to the "invisible" fence in broad daylight,  calmly step thru the strands of mono, and eat until full.    Our girls had to buy their pumpkins that year, and I have not tried to grow any since.   They named the little doe "Daisy", but we did not see her after archery season opened.  That was at least 5 years ago, and I did not shoot a doe at home after that until last fall.  I doubt that one was her (it looked more like a 3-1/2 year old), but it may have been.  If it was, then at least our girls got to enjoy some of the jerky that my brother in law made from that venison.  I don't recall it tasting like pumpkin.       

Edited by wolc123