Footwear

CoffeeBoy

I wear the the original Muck Chore boots.  I can't wear the taller ones because the don't fit my calves.  Maybe the other models are better?  I like mine, and find them pretty warm, even though they are uninsulated. I like them, but they don't last.  For ice fishing I wear Baffin Trappers.  If my Muck boots lasted my 8 or 9 years I could afford a brand new muzzleloader!

18 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

They are decent and comfortable.  I wear them for work in the spring,fall, winter and I barely get a year out of them.  I like them, and keep buying them, but I don't love them.  They are overpriced and don't come in half sizes.  If they did, then I wouldn't wear them out so fast.  Even if I wore them just for hunting there is no way they would last me 10 years.

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I only wear them for hunting/scouting.  I get about 3 seasons out of them.  You can get them after the season on ebay pretty cheap.

well any pair of boots or shoes is good for a year of constant use. I have a different pair i use for scouting and field prep. They get beat up bad from briars and stuff. 90% of my hunting is treestand hunting and the turkey hunting I do doesn't expose me to crazy terrain. So basically my boots aren't exposed to damaging conditions. I do replace the insoles though.

I have to stay VT, if they're overpriced why do you keep buying them? 

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

You can usually find the elites with a retail price of $185 ish for under $100 shipped.  The lesser cost models even cheaper.  Watch for them post season.  Good luck.  Mine typically breakdown when the neoprene uppers get torn by thorns.  I patch em up for a while.  But the soles did separate by year 4.

thorns are their nemesis. Mine made it just about 10 before the soles separated. I think you're a bigger boy than me though :cheese:

13 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I wear the the original Muck Chore boots.  I can't wear the taller ones because the don't fit my calves.  Maybe the other models are better?  I like mine, and find them pretty warm, even though they are uninsulated. I like them, but they don't last.  For ice fishing I wear Baffin Trappers.  If my Muck boots lasted my 8 or 9 years I could afford a brand new muzzleloader!

are you a bigger boy too? i'm wondering if that's the differentiater? 

I'm 205.  The problem is I wear them working.  I buy them because they are comfortable when they are new, and I can't find a work boot that is truly waterproof.  They wear out because they don't fit quite right and I put a ton of miles on working.  I have also tried Bogs. 

I think the issue is my feet are pretty small and my calves are pretty big.  When I first bought Mucks they were made in the USA and were less than half the price they are now.  I got a solid year out of them "back in the day", and wore them every day for 80% of the year.  The insides usually go to hell before they actually leak, although my last 2 pair did leak before the year was up.  I wish I could find an alternative.  I wear insulated Chippewa boots in the winter with wool socks. I wear LL Bean hiking boots in the summer when it's dry.  So Mucks wear out in 100-150 days of work and hunting.  That makes them overpriced in my mind.  

I do like them for hunting, and buy a pair every fall when I start scouting.  As a young man I spent a couple years selling shoes & boots, and I can't honestly find a suitable replacement.  I guess I just miss my first pair that I bought for about $40 and got a full year out of.

• Like 1

My feet are fairly warm while walking but when I sit , they get cold . Has anyone ever tried the "Boot Covers" ? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunting-Ice-Fishing-Boot-Covers-Arctic-Shield-Boot-Insulators/261684960781?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=560552958193&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have a pair of LaCross boots that I bought when Gaylan's was in Henrietta where DICK's is located now . I saw a slight rip in the boot and was applying some ShoeGoo on it when I noticed several other spots that were bad . I guess it's time for new boots . 

My feet are fairly warm while walking but when I sit , they get cold . Has anyone ever tried the "Boot Covers" ? 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunting-Ice-Fishing-Boot-Covers-Arctic-Shield-Boot-Insulators/261684960781?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=560552958193&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I have a pair of LaCross boots that I bought when Gaylan's was in Henrietta where DICK's is located now . I saw a slight rip in the boot and was applying some ShoeGoo on it when I noticed several other spots that were bad . I guess it's time for new boots . 
Never tried the boot covers but that's how they became popular. I have the full suit, bibs and jacket. Best suit hands down and I have tried them all. I can pretty much guarantee they will do what you want them too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 11/28/2017 at 4:22 PM, fasteddie said:

Since there are only a couple weeks left of deer hunting I was thinking of putting some "Flex Seal" on the boots and see if that helps . I bought a pint can to use on the Flashing on the roof around the base of the stove pipe and have plenty left over . It's worth a shot .