Found out yesterday the land we have been leasing is being sold

rob-c

So we had been on this lease for 3 years and found out about the sale in a round about way. Kind of bummed , we were really getting to know the land and we had already done a bunch of work on it too.Our lease runs out sept  2018 so we will be turkey hunting one more time .i have thousands of acres of state land close to my house so might start scouting  that for next years archery season. Thanks for listining to me whine ..

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 3

Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately this is what happens with short-term leases and those that aren't locked down legally in an airtight way.

I've never been through it with a hunting lease but had a similar experience with a land lease for a radio control flying club I belonged to for 15 years. We worked hard to physically maintain the facility, but whenever I brought up the prospect of working hard to gain or keep legal control of the property I was shouted down. The owner died and his widow sold the property. It was a fun place to hang out on summer evenings, and I miss it.

I don't think you're whining at all. You're putting forth a cautionary tale.

Sadly my brother is ready to close on his property of 60 acres we hunt. He's keeping the house and 10 acres. Not sure how much longer we have there. New owners want to hunt it now but brother is dragging his feet. He's dragging his feet for daughter and I to hunt it out this year. Been trying to sell it for years. Just hope he doesn't lose the  sale on our account. I told him to sell and not worry about us ! Have some feelers out and hope we land something   Only real place we've really hunted and exclusive to   Good luck to you rob

Edited by turkeyfeathers

Thanks all for the kind words. Would love to buy land but wife and I are in our late 40s and we want to be completely out of debt when we retire and we are on track for that. Plus I have some major knee and back issues (old football injuries ) that as I get older are going to complicate things. It will work out for us it always does, wife has already suggested to start looking for another lease.just wanted to vent my frustration.. 

yeah its a tough one.  I have a lease and would be bummed if i lost it cause its such a good deal.  Good thing is ive known the guy for a while and we are the same age and i know he isnt moving soon.  Just hoping his daughter doesnt marry a hunter. At least it is known now and you have time to look before next season.  One of my hunting buddies found out he couldnt hunt on opening day a few years ago.  

Access is the #1 thing for hunting.  Having good ground is tough to come by.  Hopefully something comes up. I looked at buying land once myself but the expense is far too much.  Cant buy even a small area to hunt without spending $50,000 easily minimum and then upkeep and taxes and ........ Leasing is just a great way to go.  If you spent $2000 a year for the next 25 years its way cheaper but just hard to find that right setup.  

29 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yeah its a tough one.  I have a lease and would be bummed if i lost it cause its such a good deal.  Good thing is ive known the guy for a while and we are the same age and i know he isnt moving soon.  Just hoping his daughter doesnt marry a hunter. At least it is known now and you have time to look before next season.  One of my hunting buddies found out he couldnt hunt on opening day a few years ago.  

Access is the #1 thing for hunting.  Having good ground is tough to come by.  Hopefully something comes up. I looked at buying land once myself but the expense is far too much.  Cant buy even a small area to hunt without spending $50,000 easily minimum and then upkeep and taxes and ........ Leasing is just a great way to go.  If you spent $2000 a year for the next 25 years its way cheaper but just hard to find that right setup.  

I agree with your  last sentence 100%. Man those guys named rob , there kinda smart :drinks:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

"they aren't making any more land" - you've heard that statement before.  If you want hunting land for the future ya better get looking.

You are 100% correct, but I also want to keep my finances  in check also. I can live with out land but can’t live with out a house. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rob-c said:

You are 100% correct, but I also want to keep my finances  in check also. I can live with out land but can’t live with out a house. 

Totally understand and no disrespect.  Unless you have a wife that is OK with less house it will be tough especially if you are a younger family.  I had to wait til I was 60 to find the downsized house on the chunk of land. I looked for about 6 years after getting sick and tired of thinking I had land to myself only to find there is always somebody else with permission too.  Good luck Rob-C and I'm a Rob too.

Edited by nybuckboy

What I’ve been doing is buying the small pieces of land that border mine and then having the land added to my deed. 20 contiguous acres may be assessed for 30,000 dollars as opposed to 10 two acre lots that may be assessed for 18,000 dollars each. It’s taken some time, but, has been worth it to me. It will be something for my children to have in the future.