Crossbow selection

JFB

Anyone have input or knowledge of the Scorpyd Deathstalker crossbow? I saw one for the first time last night and they are very light and sleek. They also seem to meet the NY restrictions of 17” uncocked. Due to the reverse limbs they are also able to reach 380fps with 175lb pull. Seems like a great choice if you’re searching Xbows in the $1000 range. 

Any first hand knowledge or experience? 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 7:56 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

After owning the sub1 I will never own another that I can't decock. I like my Stryker Katana and its ability to be decocked but it's not comparable to the sub1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Sub 1 legal for NY hunting? 

Honestly, get a little confused with specs, and their wording.  Thanks

17 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I had a hard time finding  specs.

Is it illegal because it's narrower than 17" limb tip to limb tip uncocked?

DEC says 17" uncocked for limb outter tip of limbs, the Sub 1 is 13.50 axle to axle, and the limbs appear lined up with its axles....

Now Mission Charge says adjustable up to 225 lbs....DEC says a maximum peak draw weight of 200 lbs.  Soooo, I can't set that Charge crossbow at 200 by the sounds of it.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bionic said:

DEC says 17" uncocked for limb outter tip of limbs, the Sub 1 is 13.50 axle to axle, and the limbs appear lined up with its axles....

Now Mission Charge says adjustable up to 225 lbs....DEC says a maximum peak draw weight of 200 lbs.  Soooo, I can't set that Charge crossbow at 200 by the sounds of it.

I am very new to the crossbow world but what if there was a "permanent" shim in the pocket that kept the bow from being cranked down to beyond 200"? Shouldn't matter what the original spec's say. an epoxied shim in the pocket would set it at a new maximum. 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am very new to the crossbow world but what if there was a "permanent" shim in the pocket that kept the bow from being cranked down to beyond 200"? Shouldn't matter what the original spec's say. an epoxied shim in the pocket would set it at a new maximum. 

I hear ya Culver, my compound vertical bow can be dialed down to 19 lbs....what is the difference here? The Charge is dimensionally legal as far as I see, but I would set it like you said at 200.  Just like a shotgun with a plug...I wonder if thats "ok".  My Mission Hype might not be a legal vertical compound then...

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

I hear ya Culver, my compound vertical bow can be dialed down to 19 lbs....what is the difference here? The Charge is dimensionally legal as far as I see, but I would set it like you said at 200.  Just like a shotgun with a plug...I wonder if thats "ok".  My Mission Hype might not be a legal vertical compound then...

If it were me I wouldn't count on the "setting" on the limb tension alone. It don'est say anything about how the crossbow is manufactured for the poundage. it says it's maximum can not exceed. 200#

• Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
    • Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
    • Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
  • Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.

It doesn't say that the crossbow is ok as long as it is only set at 200#. But if the crossbow is "permanently" modified so the new max is 200 or under I can't see how they could complain about it. To me (and I am not lawyer) this would be like pinning in a mag to be Safe Act compliant with an AR. It couldn't be easily modified in the field. Shims are in and set so limbs cant exceed 200 and you would have to dismantle the crossbow to get it over the 200# mark. Not happening in the field. to have it just "set" that way you could just turn it up or down in the field with an allen wrench.

And your Hype doesn't fall under these restrictions. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If it were me I wouldn't count on the "setting" on the limb tension alone. It don'est say anything about how the crossbow is manufactured for the poundage. it says it's maximum can not exceed. 200#

• Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
    • Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
    • Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
  • Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.

It doesn't say that the crossbow is ok as long as it is only set at 200#. But if the crossbow is "permanently" modified so the new max is 200 or under I can't see how they could complain about it. To me (and I am not lawyer) this would be like pinning in a mag to be Safe Act compliant with an AR. It couldn't be easily modified in the field. Shims are in and set so limbs cant exceed 200 and you would have to dismantle the crossbow to get it over the 200# mark. Not happening in the field. to have it just "set" that way you could just turn it up or down in the field with an allen wrench.

And your Hype doesn't fall under these restrictions. 

You are saying exactly what I was agreeing with you before this post....and I have been referring to your DEC info all along since I have it screenshot before these posts...

My Hype comment was about the point that it is manufactured to go below the legal deer poundage in NY, however I can still hunt with it if it set to legal weight or higher.  

Also, the crossbow appears to adjust with a large allen key anyway to adjust draw weight, other than tack welding, I dont see a way to lock it from exceeding that 200#

8 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Also, the crossbow appears to adjust with a large allen key anyway to adjust draw weight, other than tack welding, I dont see a way to lock it from exceeding that 200#

a shim pad behind the limb in the limb pocket?

What is the legal minimum for a vertical bow poundage?---Nevermind- I found it.

it is unlawful to hunt big game with: A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

25 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

a shim pad behind the limb in the limb pocket?

What is the legal minimum for a vertical bow poundage?---Nevermind- I found it.

it is unlawful to hunt big game with: A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less

I know its 35 lbs minimum with a vertical bow.  My point I am trying to make is my vertical bow is capable of being adjusted from 19-70 lbs.  Yet I hunt with it since its set at 48 lbs.  I was referring to this simply for the point of wondering if this is going to be acceptable with a crossbow if I set it to 200#, thats why I asked what the difference was.  Just getting a bit frustrated with all the regulations.  Who knows, maybe my compound bow isnt considered legal since its capable of being adjusted below 35 lbs for deer hunting.  

I honestly don't know anything about adding a shim to the limb pocket.  With archery, I am like the type of car owner who does not know how to work on them, just drives them.