Interesting story on a violation

YFKI1983

3 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Or maybe some of us are just much better at the game and know how to hunt and get stands up where we dont have to worry about 200 yard shots? If one knew how to learn whitetails and scent control one would have a much easier time getting bucks close.

Dont shoot the babies and the problem would pretty much solve itself.  One can tell what a shooter is that way with just a quick look.

Like I said, you guys are perfect and couldn't possibly ever make a mistake or God-forbid ever admit to one.  And of course everyone must abide to your philosophies about what they should or shouldn't shoot at.

Happy hunting!! 

9_142.jpg

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Some of you guys just kill me.  It seems like some of you guys think you are so perfect that you could measure a bucks tine length and spread down to the millimeter from 200+ yards away.  I call BS on that.  Also, very easy to tell someone else that they shouldn't shoot at a deer if they are not 100% sure if you aren't THAT hunter.  Like everyone is hunting 8 hours a day the entire bow and gun season like some of you here?  And when a buck does come along will it just stand still in one clear spot for you for a half and hour just posing for you so you can look at it from all angles?  Yeah right.  You guys must hunt some dumb ass bucks, because typically any sized buck I've ever seen didn't stick around too long.  Maybe some of you guys are hunting in Four Seasons Whitetail's pen or something??  You could probably measure them with a tape measure in there.  LOL

not sure if I was lumped in there as one of those guys or not. there's at least a couple of us in here who actually hunt with antler restrictions. so some of the situations you're calling BS on we do deal with more times than not when encountering a buck (ignore the millimeter measuring, that'd take some real skill. I have to catch the deer first and break out the tape measure. then decide to shoot it or not.) we are in fact THAT hunter though.

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Like I said, you guys are perfect and couldn't possibly ever make a mistake or God-forbid ever admit to one.  And of course everyone must abide to your philosophies about what they should or shouldn't shoot at.

Happy hunting!! 

9_142.jpg

Dont whine because you cant do what others can.  When one learns to target mature bucks  taking the smaller yet still legal bucks are pretty simple really.

4 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

not sure if I was lumped in there as one of those guys or not. there's at least a couple of us in here who actually hunt with antler restrictions. so some of the situations you're calling BS on we do deal with more times than not when encountering a buck (ignore the millimeter measuring, that'd take some real skill. I have to catch the deer first and break out the tape measure. then decide to shoot it or not.) we are in fact THAT hunter though.

Yes, I would put you in as one of those guys.  You seem to push AR's more than anyone else around here, and then you show little sympathy for the guy in the original article here who got fined and had the deer taken away.  Like that extra one inch point that buck needed on his head to be legal made one ounce of difference in the scheme of deer management?  Come on, please stop the nonsense!

6 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Dont whine because you cant do what others can.  When one learns to target mature bucks  taking the smaller yet still legal bucks are pretty simple really.

Nope, not whining, just refuting your constant claim around here that hunting is all about the "horns".  It absolutely isn't for more people than you will ever realize.

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Nope, not whining, just refuting your constant claim around here that hunting is all about the "horns".  It absolutely isn't for more people than you will ever realize.

But absolutely is at a higher % than those so called meat hunters.   Pretty simple to see that these days at every turn of hunting. Be it bait,food plots, scents, Trail Cam's, Tv , Hunting equipment..You name it and it all has a.. Big Mature Buck..Behind It.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

2 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Yes, I would put you in as one of those guys.  You seem to push AR's more than anyone else around here, and then you show little sympathy for the guy in the original article here who got fined and had the deer taken away.  Like that extra one inch point that buck needed on his head to be legal made one ounce of difference in the scheme of deer management?  Come on, please stop the nonsense!

honestly, I don't really have an AR's or bust stance. What makes me seem that way is the fact that when "myth" or misunderstood discussion happens around AR's I can't let it go.  I give my 2 cents because I feel like more happy pondering thoughts on here than actual experience with them.  from the DEC side of things i'd just wish they'd be open to trying things out instead of hiding behind thoughts and surveys and opinions of whomever is loudest.  there's enough knowledge and brains in the big game unit of DEC that anything they implement won't be the end deer hunting. most of the time I feel like they get political or public pressure to try something ridiculous because they're a state entity and then get all the blame for it.  an inch of antler doesn't mean anything in the scheme of deer management.  however, what that inch of antler might represent is another story.

the only thing that is nonsense is the concentration of people on here that are all part of the same circle that don't like ARs.  another when they say they don't work, yet I know close friends of theirs in the area they hunt use them successfully.  it nobodies business on here to open that can of worms though and in the end it would stir the pot and leave minds still unchanged.

43 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Or maybe some of us are just much better at the game and know how to hunt and get stands up where we dont have to worry about 200 yard shots? If one knew how to learn whitetails and scent control one would have a much easier time getting bucks close.

Is there anyone that you don't look down on, or speak condescendingly to??

I happen to have some pretty big fields, one where I can shoot to 350 yds or further. And I like it. A lot.

I sure wish I wasn't such a lousy hunter.

• Like 1

Happy hunting!! 

9_142.jpg

But we all have to live by your philosophy or we are wrong?

46 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Is there anyone that you don't look down on, or speak condescendingly to??

I happen to have some pretty big fields, one where I can shoot to 350 yds or further. And I like it. A lot.

I sure wish I wasn't such a lousy hunter.

Speak the truth regardless of who is on here. You may have long shots just as i do in my 350 acre fields but it sure does not cause me an issue of seeing what i am shooting at and how big or small that animal might be.

Like he is shooting 200 yards thru the woods?  Just more typical bull out of him trying to back his thoughts. Problem is that most times..Such as 200 yard shots in anything but open fields..are just that. Bull.

Like I said, you guys are perfect and couldn't possibly ever make a mistake or God-forbid ever admit to one

Unless you include feeding deer all winter, putting out minerals, killing coyotes all year using illegal methods, repelling into the park ect ect ect

But he is ok with all of that because it helps him hunt those "big" bucks, PS those "big" ones aren't all that big. Legends in their own minds!

16 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Unless you include feeding deer all winter, putting out minerals, killing coyotes all year using illegal methods, repelling into the park ect ect ect

But he is ok with all of that because it helps him hunt those "big" bucks, PS those "big" ones aren't all that big. Legends in their own minds!

Cant help ya if deer eat what i put out for other animals. Yotes can be killed on my property all year and the use of a rope and repelling are two different things.

Maybe not that big as you say but you have never been even able to match my smallest.  Yes guys like you few that have to kill baby bucks in order to fill tags will be in a pickle when you have to learn a little more about the sport.

But look on the bright side....You still have those does to smash.  You will be all set.

Story's like that make me wonder why anyone would want mandatory AR's.   I am very thankful that we don't have them here in NY.   It seems like "trophy" hunting is starting to fall out of favor, while meat-hunting is on the increase.   That means we should be free from mandatory AR's here in NY for a few more years anyhow.       

You do way dumber things then this guy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

And how do you explain that to your family as they are expecting you to provide so they can eat? You say your all meat, yet you will let deer walk ??? It seems as if your on the "meat wagon" yet your letting an opportunity at meat walk. You have me wondering if you are just desperate for internet attention or you don't actually know what you want when it comes to bucks / AR's. Anyone who will let a buck walk in hopes of a larger one is NOT a meat hunter imo.

Well, there's your attention sir.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the easy question.  It takes about 200 pounds of venison per year to provide for the needs of my immediate family.   In general, larger antlered bucks also have larger bodies.   That is the only reason that I have passed a few smaller antlered bucks early in the season(s).  A good example of that would be the 14 day SZ crossbow season 2 years ago.   About midway thru that season, a 1-1/2 year 3-point with antlers about 4" long almost begged me to shoot him, standing broadside across an open field at 15 yards, stopping, and looking away.    It was more the small body than the small rack that caused me to hold off.   Less than 5 minutes later, a 2-1/2 year old with a busted up but much larger rack and body presented a slightly more difficult shot, which I made.  Had I used that tag on the smaller buck, it would have cost me a significant amount of venison.   

A neighbor killed that little buck a couple weeks later with his shotgun and was a little upset about it because he had to use his buck tag on it.   He did not see the tiny rack and thought he was shooting at a doe.   You may not like meat hunters, but I for one like you very much, especially if you are in zone 9F or 6C.  Those little bucks you pass on might well be what keeps us from having to eat more chicken on some years.   Keep up the good work.  

Edited by wolc123

8 hours ago, steve863 said:

Some of you guys just kill me.  It seems like some of you guys think you are so perfect that you could measure a bucks tine length and spread down to the millimeter from 200+ yards away.  I call BS on that. 

suppose you lumped me in there too and if so I will say straight up the only one BSin is YOU.  who said anything about 200 yards? again if you can not identify the animal as a LEGAL deer for the laws where you are hunting you do NOT shoot, why is that so hard to comprehend or accept? Its the LAW abide by it.

Also, very easy to tell someone else that they shouldn't shoot at a deer if they are not 100% sure if you aren't THAT hunter. 

yes its very easy to make that statement because its the LAW.

Like everyone is hunting 8 hours a day the entire bow and gun season like some of you here?  And when a buck does come along will it just stand still in one clear spot for you for a half and hour just posing for you so you can look at it from all angles?  Yeah right. 

like I said I have been hunting under AR laws since the early 2000's, I have NEVER needed a "half hour" to identify a buck as legal or not. my area was 4 to a side then changed to "3up" several years ago because so many people whined that they cant see brow tines. 

You guys must hunt some dumb ass bucks, because typically any sized buck I've ever seen didn't stick around too long.  Maybe some of you guys are hunting in Four Seasons Whitetail's pen or something??  You could probably measure them with a tape measure in there.  LOL

yup I hunt the dumbest bucks in the woods. 

Like I said before I could care less if they do AR here, it will NOT change how or what I hunt for and shoot.

Thanks for the easy question.  It takes about 200 pounds of venison per year to provide for the needs of my immediate family.   In general, larger antlered bucks also have larger bodies.   That is the only reason that I have passed a few smaller antlered bucks early in the season(s).  A good example of that would be the 14 day SZ crossbow season 2 years ago.   About midway thru that season, a 1-1/2 year 3-point with antlers about 4" long almost begged me to shoot him, standing broadside across an open field at 15 yards, stopping, and looking away.    It was more the small body than the small rack that caused me to hold off.   Less than 5 minutes later, a 2-1/2 year old with a busted up but much larger rack and body presented a slightly more difficult shot, which I made.  Had I used that tag on the smaller buck, it would have cost me a significant amount of venison.   
A neighbor killed that little buck a couple weeks later with his shotgun and was a little upset about it because he had to use his buck tag on it.   He did not see the tiny rack and thought he was shooting at a doe.   You may not like meat hunters, but I for one like you very much, especially if you are in zone 9F or 6C.  Those little bucks you pass on might well be what keeps us from having to eat more chicken on some years.   Keep up the good work.  
Well let's not put words in my mouth and say I don't like meat hunters. I encourage you to find any of my posts that would show such attitude.

And yet again you have me confused, you say "good job" for letting little bucks go, but 95% of your post was about how you let little bucks go and that you typically hold off on little bucks. Again, another attention grab. I can def say I don't like those that use their words to attract attention, or get a rise out of people. I love busting people's rocks but it's clear your trying to piss people off. It's also odd to me how you will bring up religion (which I have nothing against those that have specific beliefs) and it doesn't much bother me to read, but for a "religious" guy you sure like to stir the pot.

• Like 2

Wait don’t you brag about shooting button bucks because of the amount of meat, now a 3 pt doesn’t have enough meat on him, come on many you need to stop talking out of both sides of your mouth

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

Wait don’t you brag about shooting button bucks because of the amount of meat, now a 3 pt doesn’t have enough meat on him, come on many you need to stop talking out of both sides of your mouth

I can use a DMP on a button buck.   Unfortunately,  it has been 6 years since I shot one, but it sure has not been for lack of trying.   We have been blessed with a couple thru that drought, with help from others.   There is still a roast in the freezer, that I am saving for a special occasion.   Those "fatted-calfs" can not be beat on the table.   

Using a buck tag on a 1-1/2 year old is wasteful, because a 2-1/2 (like I killed 2 years ago) or 3-1/2 (like last year) taste the same and produce a lot more equal-quality meat.  Only the 1/2's are in that "special" class by themselves.   Being a chef, you should appreciate that.   

I can use a DMP on a button buck.   Unfortunately,  it has been 6 years since I shot one, but it sure has not been for lack of trying.   We have been blessed with a couple thru that drought, with help from others.   There is still a roast in the freezer, that I am saving for a special occasion.   Those "fatted-calfs" can not be beat on the table.   
Using a buck tag on a 1-1/2 year old is wasteful, because a 2-1/2 (like I killed 2 years ago) or 3-1/2 (like last year) taste the same and produce a lot more equal-quality meat.  Only the 1/2's are in that "special" class by themselves.   Being a chef, you should appreciate that.   

Again you have never shot a 31/2 year old buck since you have been on this site. Do show this monster and teeth!

• Like 1

Wolc. Taste a fresh tenderloin off a 6.5yr old and let me know how horrible it tastes, I dare you ! The one I got had a chest cavity that I could have stuffed a button buck in..... That's alot of meat. Wish I would have measured it's chest girth.

Now I'm not at all boasting, so please don't take it that way but I have never, ever had a bad piece of meat off any MATURE buck I've shot. Got plenty of 3,4,5 and a 6.5 that I've put on the grill....

Someone who thinks they know an old deer taste bad when they have never tried one is like someone who says they shot a 200# deer but doesnt own a scale.

I think I'm more of a meat hunter than some, I guess. My gun bucks tenderloins were 1.6# each (on a scale) That's like the whole shoulder on a BB. Let those FACTS marinate for awhile.

• Like 2

Wolc. Taste a fresh tenderloin off a 6.5yr old and let me know how horrible it tastes, I dare you ! The one I got had a chest cavity that I could have stuffed a button buck in..... That's alot of meat. Wish I would have measured it's chest girth.

Now I'm not at all boasting, so please don't take it that way but I have never, ever had a bad piece of meat off any MATURE buck I've shot. Got plenty of 3,4,5 and a 6.5 that I've put on the grill....

Someone who thinks they know an old deer taste bad when they have never tried one is like someone who says they shot a 200# deer but doesnt own a scale.

I think I'm more of a meat hunter than some, I guess. My gun bucks tenderloins were 1.6# each (on a scale) That's like the whole shoulder on a BB. Let those FACTS marinate for awhile.

I'd have to taste the trail cam pic of a 6.5 year old. If the biggest buck i have on cam is even that old. I doubt he is. I can't tell exact age at a glance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I have limited recent experience with bucks over 3-1/2 as FSW just pointed out.   About 20 years ago, I gained possession of a big, non-typical 12 point, road-kill. He was probably a bit older, and produced a lot of good tasting venison, even after trimming off all the road rash.   You must have me mixed up with someone else who said older deer taste bad.   As long as they eat good food, are killed cleanly, gutted quick, and properly aged, they all taste about the same to me. Except of course for the 1/2's, which make up in quality what they lack in quantity.     

I'd have to taste the trail cam pic of a 6.5 year old. If the biggest buck i have on cam is even that old. I doubt he is. I can't tell exact age at a glance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you only knew the time and effort that went into getting that deer.... I tasted cam pics of him for his entire life. Can't tell you the feeling i got when I grabbed his antlers for the first time! Keep after em !!!