200 Pound Draw Limit

Pete

200lbs is not arbitrary it make,it equivalent to a 75 lb bow. 17 in is as arbitrary as a15 in barrel on pistol. It exist so someone doesn't make a windlass.. more power is not better.. most manufacturers do meat 17in tip to tip not axle to axle... you can buy a premium bow with all the requirements.. 

It is more the limb width limit that bothers me the most. 

And in my opinion you take the least inexpensive crossbow up against the most expsive that is out there and the difference of what the effective pratical range on deer from the 2 is probably know more then 10 yards maybe a little more but nothing that Extreme as people think. Archery is all about accuracy really . 

I have to agree that some of these restrictions seem a bit arbitrary. But then I am wondering if there aren't those that saw the massive surge in technology that vertical bows went through when compounds were introduced into bow seasons. Could it be that they are still trying to keep some control on what is called a crossbow by setting size and power limits?

• Like 2

For those of you that don't understand the "arbartrary" requirments.. it all has to do with keeping crossbow and 70 lb compound on equivalent level.. I'm all for this.especially if they are to be full inclusion in archery season.. it restricts range and keeps the field as level as possible. As far as tec.. you could make a 500lb Windlass with 1 13 lb projectile bolt and kill a deer at 300 yards otherwise.. ( some idiot would try it..)

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/bow-reviews/crossbows-vs-compounds-comparing-apples-to-apples/

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

With all due respect, I do comprehend the word ARBITRARY! Seems to me the entire discussion should focus on accuracy, effectiveness and providing "clean kills". Having some goobermint official decide on what is fair or not  (based on emotion or feelings) is not the correct approach.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

I have to agree that some of these restrictions seem a bit arbitrary. But then I am wondering if there aren't those that saw the massive surge in technology that vertical bows went through when compounds were introduced into bow seasons. Could it be that they are still trying to keep some control on what is called a crossbow by setting size and power limits?

Yea but why limb width limit ?that has nothing to do with power ,Crazy rule and if they want to limit something and make it fair . do it by speed of arrow not by draw weight  .

9 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Yea but why limb width limit ?that has nothing to do with power ,Crazy rule and if they want to limit something and make it fair . do it by speed of arrow not by draw weight  .

it is an item that a LEO in the field can verify. (not that it means anything...lol).  They couldn't scale the crossbow in the woods (so not sure what they will do with that besides check specs) or even check the speed. 

Reminds me of a story. I had...I mean a buddy had a 14' fishing boat all set up and decked out to fish some western fingerlakes that have boat and motor size restrictions. 16' and a 10 horse motor. Well it occurred to MY BUDDY that the 9.9 Johnson motor he had was the exact same motor as the 15 horse but it had restricter plates on the motor. Well my buddy knew a guy and they removed the plate and I believe needed a new jet.  So with all the built in flooring and  motor and batteries and down riggers and another guy in the boat and the cooler for lunch and beer, if he had to he could now get the boat up on plane and get off the lake should he need to.  Not the slow plow through the water that the 9.9 had. Still purred like a kitten for trolling though.  But to look at it it was a 9.9 and was labeled as such.  you look at some of these models I can see how a set of stickers could be the visible difference between legal and not legal models. 

19 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Regulate by arrow speed?  I'd think you would open up the likelihood of your xbow being taken away for testing that the DEC isn't capable of conducting anyway.  Advertised fps can vary greatly with arrows of different weights.  Manufacturers routinely use one arrow weight to get to the biggest fps number for marketing purposes then list a lower fps to be expected with an arrow selected for hunting purposes.

28 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Limb with has to do with power stroke = ke

7 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Regulate by arrow speed?  I'd think you would open up the likelihood of your xbow being taken away for testing that the DEC isn't capable of conducting anyway.  Advertised fps can vary greatly with arrows of different weights.  Manufacturers routinely use one arrow weight to get to the biggest fps number for marketing purposes then list a lower fps to be expected with an arrow selected for hunting purposes.

That's why ammo  and other agencies do testing at specific weights and arrows..you rarely get spewed bow is advertised at as they use minimums but they are then rested on even level for making legal  or not

3 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Until you use a reverse limb crossbow like the Scorpyd, which is completely legal in NY.

Yes but still tested by ammo and if it meets or doesnt meet criteria  then is legal or illegal.. using base from ammo or other org

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

All I know  is a recurve crossbow needs more draw weight  to get the same speeds of a compound crossbow . So how is it that they both have the same 200 ib  limit ? Does not make sense at least with speed what ever the manufacturer States the speed is that's what it is .even if its not if you know what I mean .

Edited by Storm914

They are set by our lawmakers.. get off your asses and ask for constitutional right to hunt and fish to be governed by game department ..then the Dec can make the regs ..and not have to enforce what some feel good lawmakers saw due to lobbying..  we would have full inclusion and these limits could be easily moved as well as new weapons added to hunt with like air guns and spears.... sick of people bashing d ec over something they have no control over...he'll we don't even have a season next year till politicians vote on it...

17 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Not your responsibility the manufacturer rates  them for a certain speed and that's what it is legally as far as dec is concerned.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

Until you use a reverse limb crossbow like the Scorpyd, which is completely legal in NY.

Yes but when law was made they didn't exist so formula to make even field stands.. remember dec doenst make or change laws.only enforce those or enlightens politicians make

It is like that for  airguns.  The limit is 600 fps .

You have one that is rated less by manufacturer it's illegal if  it'  rated  600 fps or better  it's legal end of story . As far as the law is concerned .

What it acually does exactly is the  responsibility of the manufacturer to get it right . not the owner he's just going by  what the manufacturer tells him and the DEC same thing .

18 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yes but when law was made they didn't exist so formula to make even field stands.. remember dec doenst make or change laws.only enforce those or enlightens politicians make

Scorpyd has been around for much longer than crossbows have been allowed in NYS.  I will agree that reverse limb technology was not as wide spread until recently.

3 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

Scorpyd has been around for much longer than crossbows have been allowed in NYS.  I will agree that reverse limb technology was not as wide spread until recently.

It was patented in 2013.. crossbow was passed in 2013 finalized and  effective 2014 season..  so obviously the bow was not available in any quantity so it was not.looked at for specs.. I don't think months is Much longer unless you are talking about Leonardo divinci drawing of a reverse draw draw crossbow.