GoPro's and other "action cameras"

Bionic

Hello all, hope all is well for everyone....

I am interested in getting a GoPro, or an equivalent type of small action camera.

I assume many member's here have such camera's. 

I believe you get, what you pay for most of the times.  However, I would prefer to stay at around $200, but being what it's capabilities might be over say a $200 cam, I would be willing to go $300....

If an action camera that is $100, that is honestly well worth it, versus a higher priced cam, then I would consider it also.

I want to start making videos showing how each prosthetic device handles different tasks, etc.  I shoot compound  bow, run excavators,  handguns, perform mechanical repairs, pretty much anything but the monkey bars, so I think it would be interesting.  I just think at this day, and age it will help new amputees.  I was born missing my left forearm, so I have almost 30 yrs of myoelectric hand experience, so I think it would be a good thing to share.  Also, I have watched a few videos on YouTube,  and some user's,  honestly give false information out, pretty frustrating. 

Any input on cams?

Does not necessarily need to be waterproof, but live streaming capabilities might be utilized in the future with my prosthetic Doctor's.

Also, GoPro has the "hero", amd "session", anyone know the real user differences?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Hope you get some feedback Bionic. I too will follow this thread, but for just filming hunts with my grandson. I've been looking at the Go Pro's, but they are kinda expensive, and they don't seem to capture well or zoom beyond 50 yards. 

I admire your tenacity and can do attitude!

• Thanks 1

Go pro is the worst 400 I ever spent! I bought a handi cam for filming the kids and it works good but obviously much larger than the go pro. For myself I rarely try to film myself because I want to be 100% focused on killing my target animal.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bionic said:

So far, it makes me wonder if a $70 cam on Amazon is good enough for how often I would actually use it.  

Amazon has a cam for $70 with a 4 out of 5 star review over 6500 reviews.  Makes me wonder

I have one of these knock off gopro's on my shortlist of items to buy.  I've watched some youtube reviews and it seems like its decent enough for hunting type stuff. VS the cost of an actual name brand gopro, its almost a no-brainer.

Edited by loworange88
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bionic said:

So far, it makes me wonder if a $70 cam on Amazon is good enough for how often I would actually use it.  

Amazon has a cam for $70 with a 4 out of 5 star review over 6500 reviews.  Makes me wonder

Check out the "Ultra-Pro X Cam" lineup. They even have some good looking trail cams.

https://www.ultraprox.com/

I have NOT used one, but EVERYTHING I've seen and heard about them is excellent.

Price is extremely affordable, comes with several mounts for different applications, and the video quality is top notch!

I used to own a Spypoint action cam........JUNK!

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

I have one of these knock off gopro's on my shortlist of items to buy.  I've watched some youtube reviews and it seems like its decent enough for hunting type stuff. VS the cost of an actual name brand gopro, its almost a no-brainer.

I got a knock off as a gift at a golf outing, its been pretty good. My kids filmed a thousand hours of themselves jumping in the pool and its held up

• Thanks 1

thanks for sharing your story... I really like my Tactacam.. I have the origninal but there are newer versions like 3.0, 4.0... comes with bow mount and gun mount.  I am considering tree mounting a camcorder in addition to the Tactacam for zoom capabilities..

Still waiting to get some footage on the new gopro. Got a hero6 for Christmas. Waiting to hunt some crows or daytime dogs. I'll update after. So far, it seems pretty cool though. It has an option to "zoom" where u lose the wide angle but get a better close up. Again, I'll have to see in the real woods.

Got a buddy with a tactacam. Does the job but the footage is better on my phone camera.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Still waiting to get some footage on the new gopro. Got a hero6 for Christmas. Waiting to hunt some crows or daytime dogs. I'll update after. So far, it seems pretty cool though. It has an option to "zoom" where u lose the wide angle but get a better close up. Again, I'll have to see in the real woods.

Got a buddy with a tactacam. Does the job but the footage is better on my phone camera.....

Very cool, i would be interested in the results, of how it works.  Although thats like a $400 camera, if you were unaware, double my budget, at the moment.

Very cool, i would be interested in the results, of how it works.  Although thats like a $400 camera, if you were unaware, double my budget, at the moment.
Lol. Yea, I did read that ! But, sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra money. If your not gonna be happy with a 200 rig, it's a waste. Then u drop 400 on one that's satisfactory and your into it for 600... I really can't talk though, as I got it as a gift but was something I was eyeing up for awhile for hunting/fishing/outdoors filming. I hope to have something shortly if I can get a crow hunt in, or two.

• Like 1

I checked the card in my tactacam , i had this video on it from this past season from my dads treestand. The batteries were about to die ,you can hear the vibration of the camera saying it was shutting off. I filmed her to she walked out of sight but only captured a few seconds. I just found out that my laptop plays videos better then my tablet does. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Lol. Yea, I did read that ! But, sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra money. If your not gonna be happy with a 200 rig, it's a waste. Then u drop 400 on one that's satisfactory and your into it for 600... I really can't talk though, as I got it as a gift but was something I was eyeing up for awhile for hunting/fishing/outdoors filming. I hope to have something shortly if I can get a crow hunt in, or two.

I am with you 100%, buy once,  cry once, you get what you pay for usually.  Enjoy!

I just don't think I will realistically use it much.  That is where I am trying to justify different options.  

Edited by Bionic

Jeremy K. That's decent footage... I'm impressed. I have seen a dozen or so clips from the newest tactacam and was not impressed. Yours is Def much better !! Not sure if it's a transfer thing or what but my buddy has to be doing something wrong.

Main downside is that the tactacam is a hunting only cam. Granted you could use it for other things but would be goofy to hold.

52 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Jeremy K. That's decent footage... I'm impressed. I have seen a dozen or so clips from the newest tactacam and was not impressed. Yours is Def much better !! Not sure if it's a transfer thing or what but my buddy has to be doing something wrong.

Main downside is that the tactacam is a hunting only cam. Granted you could use it for other things but would be goofy to hold.

The quality of the video is so much better on my lap top , the tablet is horrible . I think i need to give this thing another chance.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:18 AM, wooly said:

Check out the "Ultra-Pro X Cam" lineup. They even have some good looking trail cams.

https://www.ultraprox.com/

I have NOT used one, but EVERYTHING I've seen and heard about them is excellent.

Price is extremely affordable, comes with several mounts for different applications, and the video quality is top notch!

I used to own a Spypoint action cam........JUNK!

I believe the cam is discountinued possibly.   Out of stock on their website, unavailable on Amazon, unavailable on Ebay.  I was interested though.  Thanks for that recommendation none the less.

Last night, after a lot of research,  I ordered a Yi brand camera.  There are a lot of reasons why I chose the specific action camera that I chose, but its a lot to explain.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FU9ZIMU/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517246366&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=yi+4k+action+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=418Nb67nCLL&ref=plSrch

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 6:33 PM, TreeGuy said:

Yi. Interesting. Be sure to post some footage. I'd be curious to see how it does !

I sure will.  Should be here tomorrow, actually.  I have heard of Yi before, seems the do a lot of affordable home security cameras. 

I have the Contour ROAM3.  At the time I picked it over the GoPro because of the tube profile instead of the square profile.  I like that it sticks to the side of my head, rifle, or bow a but more snug compared to the GoPro.  The GoPro stick out way too much.  But just like the GoPro, it makes everything look like it's miles away.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2018 at 6:33 PM, TreeGuy said:

Yi. Interesting. Be sure to post some footage. I'd be curious to see how it does !

here is a still shot.  Since it mainly for videos fpr my arm, here is an arm pic.  I am very happy with the clarity,  lets see how long the cam works for.  I will figure out video, when i figure out how to get the video to the phone to post.

YDXJ0021_pic_edit_20180201121918.jpg

• Like 3