Fishing Shows

MPHunter

Sodfather's post on fishing tackle got me thinking about the old fishing shows that were on in the 80's. When I was a kid I could spend a whole afternoon watching Jimmy Houston, Bill Dance, Roland Martin, etc.  I still remember all the words to Jimmy Houston's show music.

Now that the Outdoor Network is off TIme Warner/Spectrum I don't even know what shows are out there now. Anyone have any suggestions? Any fishing shows on YouTube or other streaming services?

• Like 1

When I was a kid, The Flying Fisherman, with Gadabout Gaddis was awsome! He would fly his Piper Cub into back areas to fish.

Bill Dance is still fun to watch. Along with a couple of other old ones.

I do watch the "tournament" shows too. They can be informative as well as entertaining. 

I really like the format of" major league fishing". It's a tournament show.  They don't tell the anglers where they are fishing and pick them up at like 5 am. Then they go to a lake and have a judge with them that weighs each fish and they release it right then.  If they drop a fish in the boat they get a "fish landing violation " and can't do anything for 2 minutes. Me and my fishing buddy always bust each other now when we drop one.  But it's a neat show.  Sometimes they have a certain weight and the first 3 to get to it move on.  And while they are fishing they will get "score tracker updates" when other anglers catch a fish. Really puts some pressure on them.  

I can't stand bill dances show anymore cause he fishes what looks to be the same stocked pond behind his house for every show. Lol

Also like the edge with Al linder , it's a good informative show for different species.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Ha-ha.... When I was a kid I never watched fishing shows. I just grabbed my old taped together rod with the old level-wind reel and went across the road to the creek and fished for creek chubs and horned-daces. We weren't watchers. We were "doers".

16 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I can't stand bill dances show anymore cause he fishes what looks to be the same stocked pond behind his house for every show. Lol

Every now and then old Bill will get up the gumption and film a show somewhere besides that private lake he usually fishes most of the time. I wonder how many times over and over he has caught the same fish through the years of doing his shows. You will notice after he catches one and releases it he always tells the fish "See Ya" LOL!

"Fishing with Orlando Wilson" had the best opening theme song.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I like to troll for fishing, I hate just sitting in 1 spot hoping to catch something. Bass fishing is okay long as I keep moving. The only fishing show I watch is "Salmon Showdown" it's about Salmon fishing on the Great Lakes. It is geared mostly to lake Michigan but still neat to watch and hear about their tactics.