Guess this dish!

First-light

28 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

You guys can knock yourselves out eating that roadkill, it's just not for me. Not once have I driven down the road and seen a dead animal and said, man that looks tasty 

If you came to my house for dinner and I cooked 2 back straps 1 from a deer that was shot or one from a road killed deer you would not be able to tell what deer it came from.We are talking about a fresh roadkill not one that has been laying Dead for days.

• Like 1

Coyotes are the only carcasses I know of that even the crows will not touch.  I saw a hunting show once where some guy's tasted a little but they really struggled to to choke it down.   From the looks on their faces, it had to be horrible tasting.   I would put the coyote dead last when it comes to food choices and I would have to be very close to starvation before I would try any no matter how fancy it was cooked.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Coyotes won't even coyotes

It is amazing to see the coyote carcasses out in the field shrivel and dry out over several months without even a rat bite taken out of them.   At the same time, every last piece of flesh is quickly picked clean from deer, coon, rabbit, and woodchuck carcasses that are piled up right next to them, leaving nothing but sun-bleached bones after a couple weeks.   Someday, I am going to try some young coon.  I bet they would be pretty tasty in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce.   

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It is amazing to see the coyote carcasses out in the field shrivel and dry out over several months without even a rat bite taken out of them.   At the same time, every last piece of flesh is quickly picked clean from deer, coon, rabbit, and woodchuck carcasses that are piled up right next to them, leaving nothing but sun-bleached bones after a couple weeks.   Someday, I am going to try some young coon.  I bet they would be pretty tasty in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce.   

I had raccoon before, it wasn't bad. I'm pretty nervous about the thought now, because so many are rabid in this part of the country.

12 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I had raccoon before, it wasn't bad. I'm pretty nervous about the thought now, because so many are rabid in this part of the country.

We probably have some very healthy coons around here because we keep up the trapping pressure, even though the hides are worthless.   I figure that a coon trapped around Labor day might save me about 10 bushels of corn.  Coons start the chain of destruction on corn, by knocking down the stalks, allowing other species (like birds, mice and squirrels) to finish it off.   Folks would understand the value of trapping a lot more if they or their kid/dog/cat got bit by a rabid or distempered coon.    

7 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Just curious, how do you legally do that? Is there a nuisance permit scenario for that?

rfscowtrap17.jpg.0dc6451fbb13ece77619f4ac32c1303f.jpg

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

He claims to have nuisance permits ....

This is not really a nuisance permit situation.  Per the NY state DEC website (see note 2 when you go there),  a landowner may destroy "damaging" coons without a licence or permit of any kind, but the carcasses must be buried or burned immediately, if this is done prior to the opening of trapping season.   That means not just tossing them out in the fields until after October 25.   Waiting until October 25 is too late to save much of the corn in my fields and garden and fish in my pond (that stuff is included in the "damage" definition on that same website).   As long as I carry a shovel along with my .22 when I am checking traps, full compliance with the regulations is no big deal.   Coons are about the easiest fur-bearer that there is to trap.  A few box traps, baited with peanut butter coated marshmellows, combined with a couple "dog-proofs" baited with cat food can quickly eliminate most of them in a given area.   Tinfoil wrapped around the pan of a leg-hold trap, placed under shallow water near a run is also effective.   Growalot never seemed to understand these regulations and came after me a few times on this issue, apparently seeing herself as the protector of those cuddly little nest robbers.     

Edited by wolc123