Calling all plumbing experts

Jeremy K

22 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Ferncos do not meet code, you have to use the same style fitting that has the metal jacket completely around it..

Same concept and style as the Fernco and also sold at the Big box stores..

Just a FYI,, but they both work well and have used dozens of them..

BD817D6F-229F-4861-99EC-3B8FED473107.png

I am happy I read down through before I mentioned code. Like mentioned already, fernco do not meet code.

22 hours ago, hunter said:

The drainage fittings will crack if hit with a hammer while holding a baby sledge on the opposite side to make disassembly easier and screw the code Ferncos do better aligning different pipe types just like you have PVC to galvanized. Good luck.

The pipe in question is galvanized steel and will not break with a hammer,, the main line is cast,, I really don’t think he wants to break that ...

If you want to remove the small threaded nipple going into the main line try to heat it with a propane torch before trying to remove it,, if that doesn’t work you can cut the cut the nipple with a sawsaw at the top and bottom going into the main line and then pry out the two pieces,, if you do not have not much experience with this sort of thing just cut the galvanized out about 2” from the main line and be done with it,, the only reason I metioned they don’t meet code is if you may be selling your house in the future a home inspector may pick up on it.

23 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Ferncos do not meet code, you have to use the same style fitting that has the metal jacket completely around it..

Same concept and style as the Fernco and also sold at the Big box stores..

Just a FYI,, but they both work well and have used dozens of them..

BD817D6F-229F-4861-99EC-3B8FED473107.png

I thought the only application where you could was on dissimilar materials. 

1 hour ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

The pipe in question is galvanized steel and will not break with a hammer,, the main line is cast,, I really don’t think he wants to break that ...

If you want to remove the small threaded nipple going into the main line try to heat it with a propane torch before trying to remove it,, if that doesn’t work you can cut the cut the nipple with a sawsaw at the top and bottom going into the main line and then pry out the two pieces,, if you do not have not much experience with this sort of thing just cut the galvanized out about 2” from the main line and be done with it,, the only reason I metioned they don’t meet code is if you may be selling your house in the future a home inspector may pick up on it.

I gotta stop after work and get the stuff ,the more I think about it ,I feel like I can just run a threaded nipple from the trap end as well as the main drain and screw a pvc fitting to those.

The application is for both just as the Ferncos..

The sheilded just ensures equal pipe penetration and has extra sealing ribs,, the shield is to prevent pipe deflection or a bubble in the Fernco...

Pipe deflection causes clogs..

Like I said earlier they both work weel and I have used many of both,, just putting the info out there everyone has there own idea of done correctly..

18FFC386-879C-4558-BD00-AFAD7EC97437.jpeg

03DF51C4-F07F-4FDC-A721-097308C86F2C.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I gotta stop after work and get the stuff ,the more I think about it ,I feel like I can just run a threaded nipple from the trap end as well as the main drain and screw a pvc fitting to those.

If you can make it work without the fernco I would go that route.

• Like 1