Eye sight

Dom

I have always had eye sight issues and have been shooting using my right eye as my shooting eye.Last week had to go for exam and find my left eye is stronger than the right.I guess my question is do I try shooting left handed?I use corrective lenses/glasses but got to thinking maybe need to practice using other/good eye/left.

Which is your dominant eye?   Was always told to go with that

But I have the same issue. My right eye isn't as good as my left but have always managed.  Wear glasses now for the bow and use scope for any guns. Had a tough time adjusting to glasses with the bow for a bit .   But got it down now.

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Which is your dominant eye?   Was always told to go with that

But I have the same issue. My right eye isn't as good as my left but have always managed.  Wear glasses now for the bow and use scope for any guns. Had a tough time adjusting to glasses with the bow for a bit .   But got it down now.

Right eye dominant,Have worn glasses for my lifetime and the right eye gets worse evry year.

Of all the body parts that seem to be "going south" as I age. My eyes are not one of them. Went in January for my yearly eye exam, and still have 20/20 vision out to distance. But do need reading glasses for up close work.

Like moog says Dom. Use that dominate right eye, and keep the better vision left one closed. Seems like that is the better option, opposed to learning to shoot left handed? Wishing you good luck. No matter how you choose to get it done!

One of the best things I never did in my life was eye surgery.  I had bad vision and it gave me 20/20.  Dunno if that's a option for you but it's great.  It lasted over 20 years and now I need glasses for driving .  But most people never need them again. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I am one of those right handed, left eye dominant freaks.  The solution for long guns was fairly simple: shoot lefty.  Both eyes stay open whether I'm shooting a scope, red dot sight or open sights.  It hasn't been an issue for me at all.

1 minute ago, Jdubs said:

I am one of those right handed, left eye dominant freaks.  The solution for long guns was fairly simple: shoot lefty.  Both eyes stay open whether I'm shooting a scope, red dot sight or open sights.  It hasn't been an issue for me at all.

Same deal for me.  But I still shoot right handed.  As long as I close the other eye I am good with the bow prob mostly just from a lot of practice over the years.  And always use a scope on everything else.  The pistol on the other hand.....lol. Not so much.  That's why I bought a judge. Anything else I am better off throwing it at someone.

try a simple test point at something small on the wall with your finger close your left eye if it stays your right eye dominate try with your left it should be in a different spot. I injured my right eye when i was 20 and got flashed when i worked in the welding shop[ young and dumb] so my left eye is better than my right but i still shoot right handed . I always thought cause my dad taught me to shoot i shot right handed cause im write and do most things left handed except play the guitar and box [ briefly  golden gloves again young and dumb#2]

It’s easy to switch eyes and frankly shoulders on long guns , even easier with handguns .

i always shot righty as it was dominant eye  and I m right handed  , till my right eye got weak, then I switched to,left handed shooting and left eye which was non dominant.

Then I had lasik ,  both eyes got strong and my left eye became my dominant one ....

ive always shot bow right handed , I have bolt action rifles both left and right .

My front closet shotgun was set up,for lefty I just switched it back to right ......

Amother "simple" test is to stand with your arm extended, closed hand,  and point your thumb straight up.

With both eyes open put your thumb on a object.

Close each eye one at a time. Whichever one doesn't move from the object is the eye you should be shooting with. If neither one moves you can shoot left or right.

If they both move from the object you are not going to hit anything anyways so it doesn't matter which one you use.