For Firearms Buffs and Historians

This site goes over a bit of the history of many US firearms manufacturers that have ceased to exist or have changed dramatically. Most were located here in the northeast and it is sad to see the way they have gone and what has happened to them. I found the historical photos especially interesting, the old Savage factory in Utica was a place my Dad was employed before he joined the Navy, I have his old model 99 30-30 produced during the time period he worked there.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/02/ghost-gun-factories.html

• Like 7

Airdale where do you live?  My dad, who would have been 90 this year, used a savage 720 16 ga since he was 20 yrs old. Over the years we collected Browning auto 5’s. I bought him 3 sweet 16’s but he wouldn’t use anything else. It has the smoothest action of anybof the 30 auto 5’s we have. I still carry it at least once a year. Usually on his birthday. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 7:31 AM, airedale said:

This site goes over a bit of the history of many US firearms manufacturers that have ceased to exist or have changed dramatically. Most were located here in the northeast and it is sad to see the way they have gone and what has happened to them. I found the historical photos especially interesting, the old Savage factory in Utica was a place my Dad was employed before he joined the Navy, I have his old model 99 30-30 produced during the time period he worked there.

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2016/02/ghost-gun-factories.html

Yea that was real smart of king Andy to push out all the firearms  industry from NY

A big reason north won the civil war is because of them being here .

Better hope there is not another one. 

Because with out any weapons industry here anymore things will go differently I think .

My Grandfather worked at Savage as well. My Father (for a while. Made 700 BDL stocks) and a couple other relatives worked in Remington. Gonna be a sad day to see that factory close. If you can fit it in and have a chance you should see the Museum in the Remington factory. pretty neat. Covers 200 years of manufacturing in lion NY

On 4/3/2018 at 11:47 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My Grandfather worked at Savage as well. My Father (for a while. Made 700 BDL stocks) and a couple other relatives worked in Remington. Gonna be a sad day to see that factory close. If you can fit it in and have a chance you should see the Museum in the Remington factory. pretty neat. Covers 200 years of manufacturing in lion NY

the museum is on my bucket list.

Three more manufacturers from NY,  all producers of quality American sidelock side by side doubles

Hunter Arms, Fulton NY- LC Smith Shotguns

Lefever Arms, Syracuse NY

Baker Gun, Batavia NY

1910-fulton-ny-hunter-arms-smith-guns_1_cc8db0fd101634debafccfe02bd4da84.jpg

lef40939letter1911.jpg

DSC01005.JPG

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, rob-c said:

The sad part is I have a savage 99 , Winchester semi 12 gauge , h and r 12 gauge (my first gun). And a Remington 870,  that company may soon be gone. 

Rob....What caliber is your M99, and what model is your Winchester  semi shotgun  ?....

11 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

For those nearby, the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport is featuring "a call to arms", an exhibit of antique firearms from 1770-1945.

https://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

Do you want to hear something SAD, Jerry  ??

I have lived in the area all my life and have never visited either the Glenn Curtiss museum, OR The Rockwell Museum...<<sigh>>...

Perhaps I'll  remedy that situation this summer... I also  need to meet a couple of local members of this forum face to face, yourself included..

I met a member and his lovely wife today  and enjoyed it immensely...Real nice folks....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Rob....What caliber is your M99, and what model is your Winchester  semi shotgun  ?....

The savage was my granddads and it’s a 300, and the  Winchester is a Ted Williams branded 1400..

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Do you want to hear something SAD, Jerry  ??

I have lived in the area all my life and have never visited either the Glenn Curtiss museum, OR The Rockwell Museum...<<sigh>>...

Perhaps I'll  remedy that situation this summer... I also  need to meet a couple of local members of this forum face to face, yourself included..

I met a member and his lovely wife today  and enjoyed it immensely...Real nice folks....

I've never been to the Rockwell myself. I love the Curtiss museum. The first time I was there I think I wandered around for hours. I've been there a few times since , so I've seen all of it at least once or twice.

We'll have to get together this summer. Or sooner!

not exactly firearms related but out this way there's Ulysses S Grant's cottage where he stayed to get away from it all when he got ill and years later died there. Everything is supposed to be exactly as it was left. i'd like to fit that in this summer too.

Edited by dbHunterNY

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

The savage was my granddads and it’s a 300, and the  Winchester is a Ted Williams branded 1400..

The savage is a classic, especially in that chambering, or 250-3000...

I have a Winchester auto myself..It is a M59  with fiberglass barrel and Winchoke, the first screw in flush barrel choke tubes on the market, at least that I am aware of.. I bought it used in 1965 for $100...Used it to kill my first turkey, first goose, first mallard duck and  all kinds of other game, including literally hundreds of crows..It still shoots great EXCEPT with slugs..  It is AWFUL with slugs...I never hit close enough to the target to figure out WHERE it shot...Hehehehe... When I was in my late teens  it was my only shotgun, so  I had to borrow  a gun for deer season because of that...

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The savage is a classic, especially in that chambering, or 250-3000...

I have a Winchester auto myself..It is a M59  with fiberglass barrel and Winchoke, the first screw in flush barrel choke tubes on the market, at least that I am aware of.. I bought it used in 1965 for $100...Used it to kill my first turkey, first goose, first mallard duck and  all kinds of other game, including literally hundreds of crows..It still shoots great EXCEPT with slugs..  It is AWFUL with slugs...I never hit close enough to the target to figure out WHERE it shot...Hehehehe... When I was in my late teens  it was my only shotgun, so  I had to borrow  a gun for deer season because of that...

The stories my dad has told me about all the deer my granddad and my dad and my uncles have shot with the 300  , legal and illegal:rolleyes:. But back then when times were tough on the farm the did what they had to do.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rob-c said:

The stories my dad has told me about all the deer my granddad and my dad and my uncles have shot with the 300  , legal and illegal:rolleyes:. But back then when times were tough on the farm the did what they had to do.. 

I understand...My  Dad was a child of the Great Depression  and meat was meat and it was hard to come by...

However, by the time I started hunting  times had changed and he insisted that I  play by the rules... It may have been because he  knew he'd have to pay my fine if I got  poaching..Hehehehe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1