Best caliber for hunting that works with AR platform

The creedmore, Grendel and spc will all do a nice job I think.  The 6.8 spc 2 is similar to a 270 and uses a 270 bullet.  

I don’t know how you can say the 6.8spc is similar to a 270? Not that the 6.8 is bad but it’s far from a 270 in performance. To get a spc to the 270’s standard 3,000 FPS you’re down in the 80-85gn bullet range and that’s very light for caliber.

Will a deer ever know the difference probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don’t know how you can say the 6.8spc is similar to a 270? Not that the 6.8 is bad but it’s far from a 270 in performance. To get a spc to the 270’s standard 3,000 FPS you’re down in the 80-85gn bullet range and that’s very light for caliber.

Will a deer ever know the difference probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not suggesting they are identical.  They aren’t.  But from the AR platform, it’s reasonably close.  Obviously the .270 has greater velocity.   A 120g spc 2 with a 200yd zero is about -10” at 300 and a 130g .270 is about -6.5 at 300.  There is no 270 offering in the AR platform.  

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Finally finished my .458 SOCOM build! Can't wait to take it to the range for its maiden voyage35def332fb357f8e077bbdb32654f7b4.jpg

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

By the way, are you hand loading?  The 458 hornady ammo from xcaliber is what I purchased.  Not a bad price.

• Like 1

By the way, are you hand loading?  The 458 hornady ammo from xcaliber is what I purchased.  Not a bad price.
Yup doing handloads. Already stuck a case because I was being stupid. Took me almost an hr to remove the damn thing from my die, I destroyed a couple of my beautiful german punches and needed to use a rattail file to get out the case neck from my die after it ripped off inside. Always use enough lube. That said, counting brass to be basically free since I can reload the same brass for 10-20 times really looking at around maybe 40 cents or so per round. Btw keep your brass I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands

7 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Yup doing handloads. Already stuck a case because I was being stupid. Took me almost an hr to remove the damn thing from my die, I destroyed a couple of my beautiful german punches and needed to use a rattail file to get out the case neck from my die after it ripped off inside. Always use enough lube. That said, counting brass to be basically free since I can reload the same brass for 10-20 times really looking at around maybe 40 cents or so per round. Btw keep your brass I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands emoji6.png

Will do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

First shot with the .458. I would say recoil is somewhere around a 20 gauge, not nearly as bad as lots of people try to make it out to be.

Additionally once I got my scope dialed in it's shooting roughly 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards. That's 1 inch edge to edge. Or 1/2 inch center to center given each round is nearly a half inch across. Needless to say I am quite pleased. Now just need to do some custom work on my mags so they don't jam my bullets and we shall be ready to rock!

• 4 weeks later...
That looks pretty damn good for featureless.  Is that the Thorsden Gen 3 stock?
Yup. Like it much better than the original hideous thordsen. This one is a little more like a normal hunting stock. I keep waffling whether I want to do an armaglock and gain a pistol grip and collapsable stock though the collapsable part isn't critical for me or keep it full featureless with the thordsen. Either way its pretty darn good so far. I dig it. Now we just need to vote in someone to repeal the safe act and I can go to full featured and less weird looking

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 1:38 PM, The Jerkman said:

Yup. Like it much better than the original hideous thordsen. This one is a little more like a normal hunting stock. I keep waffling whether I want to do an armaglock and gain a pistol grip and collapsable stock though the collapsable part isn't critical for me or keep it full featureless with the thordsen. Either way its pretty darn good so far. I dig it. Now we just need to vote in someone to repeal the safe act and I can go to full featured and less weird looking

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I built a fixed mag AR, but I used the Mean Arms mag lock.  I was thinking of building a featureless rifle, but I already own an Ares SCR....decisions, decisions!