These @#$&£ things!

Robhuntandfish

I pride myself on being a pretty decent fisherman and have mastered a few different types of lures and techniques and can usually adapt and find a way to catch em.  No matter the water or the species.  Not bragging but I've spent a lot of time on the water, far more than in the woods.  But these damn things are my Kryptonite....... It's probably the #1 lure and technique on Oneida lake for walleye, and I will be damned if I can work this or get it right or have it be productive.  It's a running joke with fishing buddy Corey.  We both have some put them on and bitch about them the whole time. Lol.  

Well I just bought two more cause I'm stubborn!!!

Stopped at the bait shop for some worm harnesses and of course get talking with the guys and first thing everyone is getting them on sonars.  I see tons of guys out fishing with sonars etc.....

Damn things!    I'm gonna master these one day!   

rps20180605_133025.jpg

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I pride myself on being a pretty decent fisherman and have mastered a few different types of lures and techniques and can usually adapt and find a way to catch em.  No matter the water or the species.  Not bragging but I've spent a lot of time on the water, far more than in the woods.  But these damn things are my Kryptonite....... It's probably the #1 lure and technique on Oneida lake for walleye, and I will be damned if I can work this or get it right or have it be productive.  It's a running joke with fishing buddy Corey.  We both have some put them on and bitch about them the whole time. Lol.  

Well I just bought two more cause I'm stubborn!!!

Stopped at the bait shop for some worm harnesses and of course get talking with the guys and first thing everyone is getting them on sonars.  I see tons of guys out fishing with sonars etc.....

Damn things!    I'm gonna master these one day!   

rps20180605_133025.jpg

I thought those things were like a jackalope and a snipe hunt. I have thrown them a lot and the only thing I have ever caught was bottom. 

• Like 1

i feel vindicated here!!!!!!  everyone tells me "they are biting sonars"  "got em on sonars"  maybe its all BS and its a cover lure for our secret weapon of the nightcrawler!   

Maybe we should start a support group.........Sadness with sonars.........first step is admitting its a problem.  

thanks guys now I dont feel so alone......  

• Like 1

and everybody has the same question ....... where do you hook to them.... there is three spots you can hook to.  I always say pick the middle one that way you have the best chance of picking the spot that is the least wrong.  Told that to the guy at the bait store and he said yeah thats probably why everyone hooks them there.  lol 

going out fishing in the morn and will try it again i am sure ....... damn stubborn

Edited by Robhuntandfish

14 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Caught my biggest fur-bearing trout on that exact sonar.  Jerk it a bit.

I’ll leave that completely alone.  But caught my biggest stripper , I mean striper the same way :pleasantry:She liked trouser trout. And I’m banned in 3,2,1..........

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ll leave that completely alone.  But caught my biggest stripper , I mean striper the same way :pleasantry:She liked trouser trout. And I’m banned in 3,2,1..........

Upon a re-read, you're right.  That didn't sound so good.  lol

31 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Simple answer. Don’t tie your line to the packaging hole for display. Remove from packaging, tie to eyelet. Although zero success with them here either. 

Must be the reason I haven't caught a bass in forty years...go figure....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

okay I actually got a walleye on one of these this weekend.  Perch color!  But fishing buddy Corey has been doing some research on these.  He says the front hole is for casting them, the middle hole is for vertical jigging and the back hole is for trolling!   hes a damn genius!   This summer i think we need to take a day and thats all each of is allowed to fish with and see if we can get it right! 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

okay I actually got a walleye on one of these this weekend.  Perch color!  But fishing buddy Corey has been doing some research on these.  He says the front hole is for casting them, the middle hole is for vertical jigging and the back hole is for trolling!   hes a damn genius!   This summer i think we need to take a day and thats all each of is allowed to fish with and see if we can get it right! 

Good info, but only using Sonars sounds like some kind of punishment!

On 6/14/2018 at 5:39 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah but we are stubborn.  He just sent me a message that he is spooling up a rod with some braid and a mono leader just for sonars.  

On 6/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, stubborn1VT said:

I suddenly may be going on a fishing vacation.  Time to stock up on Sonars?

Stubborn.  Get it ?! I see what you guys did there , well played 

• 1 month later...

Walleye love them in a copper or brown color on oneida.  Cast them to the bottom and slowly raise your rod tip from 6 to 12 making sure it resettles on the bottom and jerk it back up. They usually take it on the fall back to the bottom.  Or drift and just sink it to the bottom and jig it making sure you feel the vibration of the lure working. They hit it on the fall this way to. Best bait I've found for that lake. Color is the key brown or copper. I think it looks like a gobie trying to escape and they pound it. Silver castmasters  jigged  under the boat work good to.

Edited by erussell
  • Like 1