How's your stock

Venison gone yet?  I've got about 6 packs of burgers (2 packs), 15 venison breakfast sausages, 3 stew meat, 8 small packs of streak, and 4 packs of snack sticks and 5 packs jalapeño sausage.   So basically about 3/4 of a deer.   

How's everyone doing with venison ....you out.... Got a lot left.....

I had a good season last year and that has lasted me and a better season the year before so was still working off that into the 2017 season.  

How many deer do u need/want in the freezer this year?   I always like to get 2 which is about perfect.   The third turns into a lot of ground and snack sticks etc.  If I get one or decide to take one.  And that's after giving away to landowners and some friends and family.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Pretty close.  I'm down to the last 2 bacon burgers, a strap and brats coil.  My 2 deer harvests were small and the meat shared so this was expected.

I think 2 or 3 deer with a yield of 150# or more is plenty for my needs.  I'll still share the harvest with family and friends regardless.   

• Like 1

Few packs of ground left , long story short ,the majority of my last season deer was eaten by the guy I was storing my meat in his freezer til I got a new one . That was an awkward phone call .

Hey, can I stop over and grab that meat from your freezer  ?  LONG PAUSE  Oh dude ,I ate it .  

Lesson learned and at least it got eaten.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Few packs of ground left , long story short ,the majority of my last season deer was eaten by the guy I was storing my meat in his freezer til I got a new one . That was an awkward phone call .

Hey, can I stop over and grab that meat from your freezer  ?  LONG PAUSE  Oh dude ,I ate it .  

Lesson learned and at least it got eaten.

That sucks!  And takes some stones to eat a guys venison up.  Yeah thats quite a storage fee.

Got a couple packs of backstrap cutlets that I'm saving for our annual picnic in August. And three or four one pound packs of ground. The rest is all gone. It would have all been gone a while ago if my 14 year grandson had his way! That boy can chow down on venison! He needs to shoot his own deer this year........grin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Bacon?   Do you make venison bacon?  I'm intrigued......

i personally dont but the processor i use does. its phenominal put 1 and a half deer into it last year..and plan on at least 2 whole deer this year

We are in pretty good shape right now, with about 20 packs of grind left.  There were only two deer for me last year, but the first one was big and yielded about 2 times the average.  We get most of our protein from venison and it usually takes (4) average sized deer to make it thru a year.   I had a very good year the before, so we went into last season with about a deer and a half, vacuum-sealed in the freezer including lots of grind.   We still have many roasts and even a little back-strap left. Our kids just love venison tacos, so the grind is almost always the first thing we run out of.   (2) years ago, we ran out of grind the first week in October, but still had a lot of roasts left.  I was ready to thaw and grind a few, but fortunately I was able to take a Northern zone doe with my ML, the following week.  The fine folks at Nolt's in Lowville ground the whole thing, except for the back-straps and tenderloins.    The grind we have now should get us thru till mid-October, when hopefully the new stuff starts coming in.  I don't like grinding roasts. 

I am really hoping for a button buck this year as it has been a few years since we were blessed with one of those special treats.  The last two were given to us by others.  I have not shot one myself since 2012, so I am way overdue.       

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

i personally dont but the processor i use does. its phenominal put 1 and a half deer into it last year..and plan on at least 2 whole deer this year

Wow would love to know how he does it.  Been wanting to make duck bacon, but wouldn't think venison has enough fat.  Might have to research how to do this.  

17 minutes ago, G-Man said:

i know 7 lbs of venison is 10 lbs bacon and its smoked.  

Just looked up some you tube how tos and might have to try it.   I need a better smoker though. 

If I get a third deer always like to try some different things. So if I do this year def want to try bacon now. Cause it's bacon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That sucks!  And takes some stones to eat a guys venison up.  Yeah thats quite a storage fee.

I told him if he wanted to eat some to feel free , he told me he wasn't really In to it. I remember thinking "ya right he'll eat some"  he definitely ate some.

• Haha 1

I’m in better shape then I thought. My buddy and I treat each of the deer we shoot as our own so there were four between us last season. I didn’t realize how much he had in his freezer until I passed through the other night. Now my freezer is restocked. He likes it for special meals but not on a regular basis- my boys and I would eat it every week.
Just tried venison brats using a F&S recipe- looked good but didn’t grill them up yet—-that may be tomorrow!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...