Deer management draft proposal recently released by the DEC.

They are proposing 4 days during the week. How many do you think will be involved in that season? Personally, except for Thanksgiving week I don't get to hunt during the week. I won't even know they are out there.

That's a ridiculous argument. Plenty of guys will take advantage. and just because you are not out there doesn't mean other bow hunters are not. and just because you are not out there does not mean it won't screw the hunting up. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are proposing 4 days during the week. How many do you think will be involved in that season? Personally, except for Thanksgiving week I don't get to hunt during the week. I won't even know they are out there.

That's a ridiculous argument. Plenty of guys will take advantage. and just because you are not out there doesn't mean other bow hunters are not. and just because you are not out there does not mean it won't screw the hunting up.

So the added 15 days to you (or eight depending on if you hunt when the youth/ML) isn't worth it. You would rather have it like it is?

No I didn't say that...I'm just pointing out the possible draw backs...personally I only hunt private land...and have always thought from sightings here...that Oct 1 would give me a very nice chance a a good buck...They are more at ease...seen more during the day hours and not running full board at doe or away from other buck...sparring is happening but not full out battles...just my observations on our lands

Now public lands are a whole other story and ...Well I do see a problem for those guys...We still don't have mandatory orange for gun hunters...which I personally think should be a must...at the very least it would give bow hunters a chance to see possible dangers and try to avoid such....

Anybody concerned about the use of firearms during a time when visibility is impaired by leaves? I'm referring to the safety element of people shooting at things that are mostly hidden by foliage and promoting that old "target mis-identification" thing that is the major cause of hunting accidents.

Anybody concerned about the use of firearms during a time when  visibility is impaired by leaves? I'm referring to the safety element of  people shooting at things that are mostly hidden by foliage and  promoting that old "target mis-identification" thing that is the major  cause of hunting accidents.

Yep :(

Anybody concerned about the use of firearms during a time when visibility is impaired by leaves? I'm referring to the safety element of people shooting at things that are mostly hidden by foliage and promoting that old "target mis-identification" thing that is the major cause of hunting accidents.

Big time. But watch out, the solution the DEC will probably go with is to close the archery season for that week so this gimmick season can take place. 

If all these concerns are valid I would think we wouldn't have any hunters left in the NZ. And before I get the comment on the vast expanses of the NZ, there are many area that are just like alot of what we hunt down south. They start hunting with Rifles and ML for deer in Mid October....leaves on the trees and all....even earlier for Bear but the numbers of hunters are far less than for deer. Other states hunt with guns in the same time frame and even earlier in some of the southern states.

Wow, 4 pages of posts for a bunch of proposals that are at this point only proposals.  To me it only looks like the DEC is just shooting their mouths off incoherently with most of what they are saying here.  For example AR's.  They shot them down 2 seasons ago in those areas they are proposing them again here.  So what's up with this garbage?  In other DEC literature they state that "AR's are not biologically necessary" and here they are proposing them again.  Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.  It seems to me that they are talking from both sides of their mouth and the end result is that they make little sense and constantly contradicting themselves.

Wow, 4 pages of posts for a bunch of proposals that are at this point only proposals.  To me it only looks like the DEC is just shooting their mouths off incoherently with most of what they are saying here.  For example AR's.  They shot them down 2 seasons ago in those areas they are proposing them again here.  So what's up with this garbage?  In other DEC literature they state that "AR's are not biologically necessary" and here they are proposing them again.  Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.  It seems to me that they are talking from both sides of their mouth and the end result is that they make little sense and constantly contradicting themselves.

Business as usual then :(

I dont really understand the argument against guns in the woods for the early ml season. You guys do realize we already have turkey, waterfowl and small game hunters out there with us during bow season now, right? The ml hhnters wont be flinging 5 in a row like some of the shotgunners and rifle guys do.

I've seen more deer pushed around by kids on 4 wheelers than i have by muzzleloader hunters! lets see most hunters hunt from an elevated position, leaves still on trees and hot and buggy, so most likely morning and evening hunts will be in order. probably over fields, 4 days during the week. I really don't see a problem with this compared to opening day of rifle when there will be 3 to 4 times as many hunters in the woods, shooting at anything(doe or buck) some with more than they shold have had to drink the night before. Than a guy with one shot who is after doe.If your that worried about being shot don a orange hat/vest tie a ribbon to a tree...deer are colorblind.(the camo we wear really just makes us feel good)  My guess is he will be a lot more sure of his target having only one shot. As for the youth hunt...3 days maybe 20,000 kids tops? spread out over nys still having to hunt with an adult/mentor?                                                                                              I really don't know how you doom and gloom people ever go hunting at all? I think you would be to afraid to leave your house! With all the sm game hunters outthere the sametime as you? let alone duck/goose hunters and the kids out plinking with 22's and such? GET THIS... The game in NYS belongs to nys not you... oh no they are going to be scared by guns going off.. learn to hunt!! its hunting not shooting! There are a lot of hunter out there who hunt public land and are sucessfull every year! even with an orange army screwing up his patternable deer! These are proposals.... and if they go into effect or even a portion go into effect i for one will be happy for increases opportunity for my myself and others.we pay alot for our licences it would be nice to get more oppournity to use them.

I've seen more deer pushed around by kids on 4 wheelers than i have by muzzleloader hunters! lets see most hunters hunt from an elevated position, leaves still on trees and hot and buggy, so most likely morning and evening hunts will be in order. probably over fields, 4 days during the week. I really don't see a problem with this compared to opening day of rifle when there will be 3 to 4 times as many hunters in the woods, shooting at anything(doe or buck) some with more than they shold have had to drink the night before. Than a guy with one shot who is after doe.If your that worried about being shot don a orange hat/vest tie a ribbon to a tree...deer are colorblind.(the camo we wear really just makes us feel good)  My guess is he will be a lot more sure of his target having only one shot. As for the youth hunt...3 days maybe 20,000 kids tops? spread out over nys still having to hunt with an adult/mentor?                                                                                              I really don't know how you doom and gloom people ever go hunting at all? I think you would be to afraid to leave your house! With all the sm game hunters outthere the sametime as you? let alone duck/goose hunters and the kids out plinking with 22's and such? GET THIS... The game in NYS belongs to nys not you... oh no they are going to be scared by guns going off.. learn to hunt!! its hunting not shooting! There are a lot of hunter out there who hunt public land and are sucessfull every year! even with an orange army screwing up his patternable deer! These are proposals.... and if they go into effect or even a portion go into effect i for one will be happy for increases opportunity for my myself and others.we pay alot for our licences it would be nice to get more oppournity to use them.

This is purely for my own knowledge, but do you hunt with a bow?

I am bowhunter first and foremost, but i have the abiltiy to see the benifits and can appreciate others prefrences for their choice of weapon. I also understand that the game and woods are not mine and others have the right to be there same as i do. :(

but they will be pushing the deer around and have a much farther range w/a .50 cal bullet, than turkey and bird hunters, and be shooting level w/the horizon, unlike bird hunters.

So the deer dont get pushed by the small game guys with their dogs pushing through the woods and kicking the bushes? What about the 22 rounds being sent up into the trees at squirrels, etc etc? I just dont agree with the doom and gloom I guess. Believe me, id rather have the woods to myself, I just dont buy into the opinion that 4 days of ml and a few youth days are going to turn it into opening day of gun season.

As for muzzleloding i do that as well but if they allow it during bow i'd still bowhunt..a doe with a bow tops any doe i have taken with any gun.as for the longer range..i'm more  afraid of a kid plinking with a 22 (lot further range than a 300 grain lead weight pushed by a muzzleloader)and rapid multiple shots or worse yet the weekend warriors that are out trying out their new ak/rifle/pistol without a proper backstop (just using a tree,or maybe shooting cans).than i am of a single shot weapon pointed at a deer.

A++ G-man

Why dont they do these special seasons the first week of October and leave the rest of the seasons like they are? Sounds easy enough to me.

I could swallow that alot easlier than in the middle of October. Good idea, if it has to be.

So if they had the youth hunt on 8th thrught the 10th and muzzleloader on the 11th throught the 14th and left the opener on the 15th as it basically is now...you are good with that? I am blown away that they are proposing adding 2 weeks to bow and I am hearing bitching. They aren't taking anything away from what we have now and still not good enough ...huh?

NO. How about the first saturday in October? This year it would be 10/1,2,3.  followed by the ML season if necessary. They always complain about the cold weather anyways so let them hunt with shorts on. 

The youth hunt would run concurrent with bow being open(same as muzzle if needed)... how many of you think your going to be overrun with parents taking their kid out for the youth hunt? dec say 16,000 but lets say 20,000. I rather have a chance with my bow 1st of october on the bachlor group of bucks i've watched all summer than wait till they break up by the middle of october.. and if a kid happens to get one ..great!! i'm sure he/she'll remember it forever!! I will hunt with kids in the woods or without i'm not concerned about their shots scaring them.. I have more game scared by the influx of hunters the week before the season opens driving 4 wheelers/hanging stands/fixing stands/target-sighting in shooting/and scouting/ even just starting up their wood stoves to heat their camps/slamming car doors/spotlighting/ ect...yet i alway seem to get my deer....