should I stay or should I go now?

First-light

I'll try to make this a simple question. 

My stand is called the honey hole, a lot of nice deer have been killed down there. It sits up against a huge thick bedding area. The other side is brush and open hardwoods. 

Some of the biggest deer(140+) I have seen are just out of my bow range 40 yards or so. They cross behind me into the thick bedding area limiting me with shots just too far. Now this stand is real entertaining because you can see a hell of distance from it. You see all kind of game and tons of deer. He is the question......I bought a new stand and was thinking about placing it up in the thick stuff where those bucks travel. If they come in they will be close because you can't see very far. I'm afraid to push into this area but know I have to get closer. What would you do? 

I would move closer to the thick stuff. Most all of my set ups are very close to thick areas. I have very few wide open stands or blinds. The absolute key to doing that, is to set up for the prevailing wind. And you MUST be willing to move, if the wind changes to the deers favor. For really good spots, I may have three different set ups, within one hundred yards, to take advantage of most wind directions. Also, I won't hunt these big buck hot spots, until I know the big guys are on their feet and moving, in that area. I learned for an old timer many, many years ago, who said, "the closer you hunt to where they are bedded in the thick stuff, the more careful you need to be." I've found that to be very true. 

• Like 4

Bedding areas generally have several entrance and exit trails, and hopefully there are not so many of them that screw up your odds too much. I would suggest that you stay in the observation area some distance from where you have traditionally seen them moving out of the bedding area and then if and when you believe that you have determined a pattern, move Slowly and carefully) into bow range on a day when the wind is right and conditions cover whatever noise you might inadvertently make. Likely you will only get one chance, so put all conditions as much in your favor as possible.

• Like 2

Well many will say to stay out of the thick areas and get them coming and going . For my spot that’s not really possible , as my thick spot is surrounded by crop fields on three sides and they can pop out into them at anytime unseen  ( if corn is standing ) and cut ones they don’t enter till dark . Also no place to put stands but along the field edge , I’d rather be in a bit where they move while it’s light.

I have stands in there , but not very far in , typically 30 or so yards . I’ve done very well in there , and yes the wind is key .

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

I would move closer to the thick stuff. Most all of my set ups are very close to thick areas. I have very few wide open stands or blinds. The absolute key to doing that, is to set up for the prevailing wind. And you MUST be willing to move, if the wind changes to the deers favor. For really good spots, I may have three different set ups, within one hundred yards, to take advantage of most wind directions. Also, I won't hunt these big buck hot spots, until I know the big guys are on their feet and moving, in that area. I learned for an old timer many, many years ago, who said, "the closer you hunt to where they are bedded in the thick stuff, the more careful you need to be." I've found that to be very true. 

This!  Have a few stands in and around the thick stuff for each wind.  And wait for the right time!

• Like 1

MOVE THE STAND!!!!

people like to see far.. but

...."your better off having a stand that you can get a deer out of that you may see then to have a stand to see a deer that you only may get."...( thats a quote from bowhunting october whittails by whitetail visions) its held true since i 1st saw the video back in the early 90s. if you havent seen it i suggest you get a copy and watch it still the hands down best instructional bowhunting video made.. imo

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, G-Man said:

MOVE THE STAND!!!!

...."your better off having a stand that you can get a deer out of that you may see then to have a stand to see a deer that you only may get."...

This is so true for me. As on my main hunting property, VERY SELDOM, will we see deer out in the open fields or hardwoods, during daylight hours. We have state land bordering three sides of this 500+ acre property. And the pressure from early fall, puts the deer on notice to stay in the thick areas during the times humans are most active. Soooo, that means if you want to kill deer, you have to be where they are! The thickest spots on the property! Over the years I've learned that there are places that I can see deer everytime I sit there. But they are not close enough for bow shots for me at 30 yards or less. Hugging the thick nasties, is the only way to get that close for me. Most times I will see few deer until they are very close, and within my own bow range. Preparing for the shot when everything is happening fast, at close quarters is for another thread! 

Then determining WHICH thick nasty to hunt on a given day, is another topic too! As most years I seem to play zig and zag with the resident bucks. But the challenge is what keeps me coming back, each year, with high hopes and higher anticipations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Well many will say to stay out of the thick areas and get them coming and going . For my spot that’s not really possible , as my thick spot is surrounded by crop fields on three sides and they can pop out into them at anytime unseen  ( if corn is standing ) and cut ones they don’t enter till dark . Also no place to put stands but along the field edge , I’d rather be in a bit where they move while it’s light.

I have stands in there , but not very far in , typically 30 or so yards . I’ve done very well in there , and yes the wind is key .

Yes mine would be just about 30 yards in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

MOVE THE STAND!!!!

...."your better off having a stand that you can get a deer out of that you may see then to have a stand to see a deer that you only may get."...( thats a quote from bowhunting october whittails by whitetail visions) its held true since i 1st saw the video back in the early 90s. if you havent seen it i suggest you get a copy and watch it still the hands down best instructional bowhunting video made.. imo

I have the full set! Just dont have a VCR anymore! Great videos.

• Like 1

I say leave the stand! If there have been several nice bucks killed there don't screw up a good thing. Personally I would get out there now. Open up some good shooting lanes. And start practicing at 40 yrds. Go in that thicket during season. You take a chance of spooking them out. I wouldn't change it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck! Let us know what u decide and how it turns out! 

Guys I ended up putting the new Muddy Skybox inside the bedding area. I wish I took a picture but it looks real good. Going to leave the original stand for gun season. I really like the skybox easy to put together and I love the full platform and leg rest. Thanks for all the input hopefully it works out. 

• Like 2